Notices

First time turbo engine build (car already boosted)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:07 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time turbo engine build (car already boosted)

Whats up H-T, I have been a lurker for many years but finally decided to join as I am really wanting input on building a simple turbo bottom end/maybe head for my already turboed GSR.

So I have a 96 Gsr with a jdm spec b18c. The turbo kit was built by a professional shop here in Columbus called Slowmotion Motorsports. I gave them a limitless account when doing this for me so I only have top quality parts (not trying to brag just letting you know Im not a dumb *** trying to cheap out). Anyways, the car made 347whp on a dynojet at 7psi. It has been running solid for about 2 years now and is NOT my daily. It has never had a burp or glitch since they did it for me. It has an oil cooler, traction bar, new PIC coilovers etc etc so it really is ready for more power. I also have an AEM water/methanol kit waiting to be installed as well as a free tune the guy at Slowmo owes me for a deal we did a few months ago so Im wanting to build before he tunes it again.

So I am really wanting to do a simple bottom end build myself, I want to do it cause well Im a car guy lol I just couldnt weld up a one off kit for myself so thats why they did it. Im just looking for more reliability and being able to beat on it more without having that thought in the back of my mind that it is gonna go soon as it is stock.

My questions are, I or H beam rods? Oem or aftermarket bearings? Compression ratio to go with? and just any general input you can give for a 22 year old college student who will be building an engine for the first time. Like I said my goal is reliability and maybe 400-450 whp out of it. Sorry for the long intro but I wanted to show you guys Im not an average honda kid and appreciate your time/responses. Any questions you have for me regarding my setup in the car or about my experience/knowledge Im more than happy to tell.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You're going to need a few hundred dollars in tools if you are going to do everything at home. A very clean workspace too.

You need a whp goal to base your choice off of.

For 600 and below I would eagle/ cp combo.

If 4-500 is the goal I would aem v2 and flex fuel with a good tuner.

Pics of no budget setup? I'm sure it looks nice.

As for bearings, depends on where you want and how picky you are with oil pressure and clearances.

From my experience std acl race bearings is a toss up on how they come out of the box. Close to the green side of oem bearings but can be looser.

The tighter the bearing clearance the more oil pressure you get.

Also a good rule of thumb is " build it tight everyone will know, build it loose no one will know"
Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Trial User

Default Re: First time turbo engine build (car already boosted)

I put in my post I was looking for 400-450 whp, not trying to sound corrective. I know it wont be hard especially since Im already on low boost and will be adding water/meth injection. I am really looking for the experience of building it along with the knowing I can beat on it all day and it will hold up. I live at home and we have a car lift in the garage along with many tools. My dad is experienced as he rebuilt his 1982 Porsche 911sc engine a few years ago and is now working on our 71 240z. But he doesnt have the experience on 4 cylinder turbo cars, but he is more than willing to help. I will be buying parts at a time and building over the winter this year so I guess I dont have a definite budget per say but I cant go all out at once.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:36 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's this awesome thing called an FAQ sticky, where all of your questions are answered. You really should give it a read.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by GSnail-R
I put in my post I was looking for 400-450 whp, not trying to sound corrective. I know it wont be hard especially since Im already on low boost and will be adding water/meth injection. I am really looking for the experience of building it along with the knowing I can beat on it all day and it will hold up. I live at home and we have a car lift in the garage along with many tools. My dad is experienced as he rebuilt his 1982 Porsche 911sc engine a few years ago and is now working on our 71 240z. But he doesnt have the experience on 4 cylinder turbo cars, but he is more than willing to help. I will be buying parts at a time and building over the winter this year so I guess I dont have a definite budget per say but I cant go all out at once.
I wana see the 240 I love those cars.

For that goal skip the methanol and run e85 trust me. What ems are you on?

Buy a bare short block and build that on the side untill your stock block blows.

I made 400whp on e85 on a stock block gsr for a year beating it every chance I had. Then I tore it down and built the bottom end and kick my self in the *** for not just keeping it stock till it blew.

Or buy a stock ls block which can be found for 1-200 bucks and tear that down and build it. These motors are literally like building legos. They're very simple. Hard part is finding a good machinist to bore and hone properly.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by NotARacist
There's this awesome thing called an FAQ sticky, where all of your questions are answered. You really should give it a read.
Come one let some traffic build in here. Its ****** dead lately.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

He'll be fine on meth/water. Common thing up here in the midwest, where we don't have as many stations, nor do we sweat it. We run everything from methanol to propane injection for variety and the ability to DIY our own fuels. (yeaa, Aquamist!)

As for the 450whp part, an H-beam is fine for that power level, as well as anything over 9.0:1 compression. You don't even need to change camshafts.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by NotARacist
I have been reading dude. Thats why I said I was a lurker for so long. I can only re-read the same stuff so many times. Plus i would like to chat about it as its what I love. As the convo progresses I can get new ideas/thoughts that I cant get from a sticky.

Anyways I have thought of the idea of buying a new block and builiding it on the side many times. And i got the AEM water/meth kit for free along with that free retune due to that deal I did with my tuner (I traded him a shell). so I am already gonna go with that route.

And I will try and get some pics up for you, ironically the 911sc and 240z came from the same guy both original owner so they are both really clean. Came from a life long friend of my fathers.