Notices

first time k20 turbo build STOCK MOTOR

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time k20 turbo build STOCK MOTOR

Im looking for some insight from my fellow peers on my project car #Squirtle
I would ask out of respect that people help me out with telling me in detail about what i ask for along with real facts, not opinions, not something you heard or seen online somewhere, i want cold hard facts. i have spent tons of money on my project (to me) and wouldnt like to be misdirected in anyway

Car is getting put together by Ceaz from Hi-Boost and eventually getting tuned by Abraham from Rated-R
My boy has a similar set up with same turbo and made 501hp at 14psi, want to hear more projects or people that has personally reached the tuning process. Car will most likely be ran on e85 , its only a 5 min drive to get it.

My questions are:
-What are some top horsepower numbers youve witnessed with a set up close to mine? ( STOCK, not 1 bit of aftermarket internals )
-My goal is 550-600hp ... i know its much but can my set up hold it?
-Havent picked out a fuel pump yet, which one can work best for me?

Motor:
-k20a2 BONE STOCK ( stock internals from top to bottom, motor has never been opened )
-type s 6 speed tranny with 4.7 final drive (no lsd)

Additional bolt ons:

-k tuned electric water pump
-southbay 1000cc injectors
-Skunk 2 ultra race manifold
-90mm k tuned throttle body

Turbo kit:
-6266 t4 precision turbo ( journal bearing )
-t4 sheepy built twin scroll sidewinder
-2 44mm wastegates
-3 inch up pipe
-3 inch piping

Last edited by kturbosquirtle; 08-24-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: first time k20 turbo build STOCK MOTOR

Here's 2 pics I could upload, this is before she got sent out for final stages getting ready for tune.

Just mocked up to see how it looks

Sitting ugly
Old 07-12-2016, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

A 6266 for 600hp? That is an 800hp turbo.

I hope you arent leaving the valve springs stock.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:39 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg

x2 - turbo is bigger than what i'd choose, but then again i'd avoid Precision entirely.

I'd use a Garrett or Borg Warner instead - either a Borg Warner S362 FMW or try to stretch out the Borg Warner S261. It'll make over 600whp, but it'll be in the 25+psi range to do it. Both options are cheaper than the 6266

Also, if i've learned anything from D-Rob's K series builds, valvesprings are a must
Old 07-12-2016, 05:59 AM
I serve phở for my babies

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My motor was completely stock with a T67, single walbro 400/450 (non-e85 compatible) ALL stock lines besides from factory fuel filter to rail and 1000cc ID injectors I made 560 @18 psi. This was at 100% injector duty cycle on E85. I had it on 12-14PSI before that for quite some time beating on the car regularly. Before that I went through DOZENS of nitrous bottles and ran it hard naturally aspirated before I bought it from a friend who also had a turbo kit on it making around 600whp.

If you are on e85 with 1000cc injectors you will need a Walbro400/450 + inline 044 to make anywhere over 550 whp. If you have 2000 cc injectors you can get over 600 safely with a single Walbro.

Good luck
Old 07-12-2016, 07:06 AM
Man U FTW

Injectors: 1200-1600cc (or jump to 2k's)

Pump: Walbro 450
Old 07-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg

yes sir im kind of leaving everything the way it is internally to see what i can make safely... part of it is money issue being i have a new born,ofcourse i wouldnt leave it stock for long, just trying to see the limits on stock internals
Old 07-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
x2 - turbo is bigger than what i'd choose, but then again i'd avoid Precision entirely.

I'd use a Garrett or Borg Warner instead - either a Borg Warner S362 FMW or try to stretch out the Borg Warner S261. It'll make over 600whp, but it'll be in the 25+psi range to do it. Both options are cheaper than the 6266

Also, if i've learned anything from D-Rob's K series builds, valvesprings are a must

I hear that from a numerous amount of people that i need valvesprings but at the moment im on a budget and just want a turbo car to drive. I got this turbo with the whole kit together so i had no choice but to go with it. Stock internals im trying to stay below 21psi till i get the valves springs and retainers then i throw 25-27psi at it.... Dont forget the shell is light as FVCK, no interior, barley any dash, no seats no floor no plastics just a cage
Old 07-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ohsnapzafingcu
My motor was completely stock with a T67, single walbro 400/450 (non-e85 compatible) ALL stock lines besides from factory fuel filter to rail and 1000cc ID injectors I made 560 @18 psi. This was at 100% injector duty cycle on E85. I had it on 12-14PSI before that for quite some time beating on the car regularly. Before that I went through DOZENS of nitrous bottles and ran it hard naturally aspirated before I bought it from a friend who also had a turbo kit on it making around 600whp.

If you are on e85 with 1000cc injectors you will need a Walbro400/450 + inline 044 to make anywhere over 550 whp. If you have 2000 cc injectors you can get over 600 safely with a single Walbro.

Good luck

Thanks for your advice bro, kind of stuck with 1000's rite now but i deff hear i need a 400/450 fuel pump so thats what imma be getting. i would deff be satisfied with 560 on 18psi in a tin can can you give me more details on yourset up including what it made at 12-14 psi? any more advice would greatly be appreciated <3
Old 07-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
Injectors: 1200-1600cc (or jump to 2k's)

Pump: Walbro 450

Stuck with 1000's bro i say in a solid 2 months i will be ready for 2000's headpackage and a sleeved block with pistons and rods all one time. im just trying to see what the honda gods have in store for me on a stock motor with about 70k miles pray for my headstuds and headgasket lol
Old 07-12-2016, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone tag D-Rob on this post please, ive read his threads on his stock motor and it blows my mind... deff my inspiration
Old 07-12-2016, 03:45 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

You can find him and PM him.. I'm sure he can set you straight.

And believe me kits don't have to come with the turbo when you contact them directly. There's ALWAYS a choice
Old 07-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You can find him and PM him.. I'm sure he can set you straight.

And believe me kits don't have to come with the turbo when you contact them directly. There's ALWAYS a choice

i really didnt have a choice, i offered to buy the kit without turbo and he insisted, it was a nice deal so i had to buy it in full, could always sell the turbo and buy one that best fits me
Old 07-14-2016, 04:25 AM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by kturbosquirtle
Bump
This forum doesn't move fast enough to make bumping your thread necessary.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:45 AM

Thanks for your advice bro, kind of stuck with 1000's rite now but i deff hear i need a 400/450 fuel pump so thats what imma be getting. i would deff be satisfied with 560 on 18psi in a tin can can you give me more details on yourset up including what it made at 12-14 psi? any more advice would greatly be appreciated <3
I don't recall what it made.. I got it on the dyno one night and cranked up the turbo until my fuel system was completely maxed out. Car ran good through, boost by gear was my best friend and the car dead hooked in every gear.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't recall what it made.. I got it on the dyno one night and cranked up the turbo until my fuel system was completely maxed out. Car ran good through, boost by gear was my best friend and the car dead hooked in every gear.
ever ran it at the track?
Old 08-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update on k20 turbo build......

Sent my Car recently to the shop to get things moving. They have taken the kit off to degrease motor and start the assemble of manifold, lines, injectors etc. Deff looks alot cleaner now now (how my car would look if it was all motor again)

Was told suspension was a must when making power at this level to help it stick to the ground at the track or racing. Decided to go with the Blox racing coil overs (12k fronts 18k Rear)
Also got some truhart front camber kits

Bought a 450 fuel pump (in tank) and new sock.
Went along with a 5 bar aem MAP sensor
Bought a AEM-ESM Version 2 with traction control

Things moving and looking pretty nice
Now the last pieces of the puzzle are getting nice clean carpet, a driver seat (stock for now saving up for red S2k seat) and saving up for nice rims with tires.. mainly looking into R888's

Should be getting a call that my car is running and ready to pick up in the next 5-6 days
Ive had serious thought to buy pistons rods and a valvetrain and slapping 30 psi in this thing want to have a nice 800 hp daily

Any further advice people with similar set ups making 600+ with no upgraded internals please feel free to input
Old 08-26-2016, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It amazes me that people will spend 5-10K on a build but not another 500 bux to do it right. You would really let a stock valve spring grenade a motor that otherwise would have lasted a long time at that power level?
Old 08-26-2016, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
It amazes me that people will spend 5-10K on a build but not another 500 bux to do it right. You would really let a stock valve spring grenade a motor that otherwise would have lasted a long time at that power level?

Someone I know recently lost their entire engine AND turbocharger for not doing that very same thing. Valve float caused the valve to drop right into the chamber and tear it ALL up!! Turbine wheel looked like a bunch of rats chewed on it, and couldn't be replaced.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:10 AM

ever ran it at the track?
Best time was 11.2@128 at about 560 hp. Shifting into 5th gear and a 1.75 60Ft. 24.5x7x13 slicks and a 4.76 final. Car was full weight at about 2550-2600 with me in it.

Boost gradually built in every gear, I got the car tuned out a bit better on the street but never went back to the track... I'm pretty sure I could've gotten the car to go 10.99
Old 08-28-2016, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Best time was 11.2@128 at about 560 hp. Shifting into 5th gear and a 1.75 60Ft. 24.5x7x13 slicks and a 4.76 final. Car was full weight at about 2550-2600 with me in it.

Boost gradually built in every gear, I got the car tuned out a bit better on the street but never went back to the track... I'm pretty sure I could've gotten the car to go 10.99

nice man ..

my boy ran 10.33 making about 560 with 23s and a borg warner.. im personally trying to hit 9.99-10.00 as a personal best with this set up
Old 08-28-2016, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg

you never seen a fully built motor blow on a dyno pull? i have
never seen a bone stock motor make power? i have
its not just 500$, you have to add 100$ for headgasket , 120$ arp head studs, labor $200-$400
keeping it a stock motor is more in my field being that if i ever blew up i can always buy another long block from the junk yard and drive my car again.
again, i mentioned i wanted to keep it stock basically to see the TRUE power of a STOCK k20 block, i dont want to add after market parts because no one has an originally stock motor from the factory doing what im going to do. i want to be different.
if its one thing i noticed in this honda game is once you start upgrading you have a higher chance of breaking something, i try to keep it as stock as possibly and test limits.

who doesnt have springs and retainers now a days in their car? i would be a lot happier running the same or faster times than people with built motors. People say k blocks can hold boost pretty good so im going to be the first to test that out with a stock motor.
no one ever has an accurate statement on here on a bone stock motor, im basically doing this to show people what it does with no internal upgrades. i always see posts asking how much boost can a k20 hold/make? People will post numbers and dynos and forget to mention its built, i want to give the most accurate stock hp rating on my setup so people that dont have enough money to spend on that extra head package can boost freely with my most honest reply on my build.
yes there is a chance people will hate me mainly on the numbers and times i will put out on this setup but more hate more love
Old 08-28-2016, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan

Someone I know recently lost their entire engine AND turbocharger for not doing that very same thing. Valve float caused the valve to drop right into the chamber and tear it ALL up!! Turbine wheel looked like a bunch of rats chewed on it, and couldn't be replaced.

ive seen stock motors last longer than built motors
ive seen stock cars make more power than built motors
like ive heard from a person whos ran 9s in a turbo k stock block with just springs and retainers ... "its all in the tune bro"
mind you i have way better and more supporting mods than him.

if im doing springs and retainers i might as well get cams, pistons rods and valves one time, dont have $2500-$3000 to make that possible at the moment. im pretty sure this set up will last, im sure my tuner will leave it around 15psi

P.S. My boy has the same set up as me on race gas made 620whp on a STOCK OEM k20 block only difference was his turbo was ball bearing

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ill take your opinion under consideration one day
Old 08-28-2016, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by kturtlesquirtle

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ill take your opinion under consideration one day
You don't have to.. Not at all.. I've stopped trying to advise the basics any more in this "i've seen x" and "my boy's Y setup does" day and age. You'll either learn or you won't, in your efforts to "be different".

Very simple.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, nice build man but blowing up an entire engine and turbo just to say "i have a STOCK k20" is completely retarded imo sorry. Youre talking $300 to replace them and no you dont need to pull the head off to install those....do it man. No one besides your wallet cares if you blow it up. And think of all the time youll waste pulling it all apart over springs lol but good luck on your build

Quick Reply: first time k20 turbo build STOCK MOTOR