Notices

eliminating condensation in open breather catch can setups?

Old 01-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default eliminating condensation in open breather catch can setups?

Are any of you guys having problems with condensation building up in your open breather catch can setups and the lines? I didn't have any problem in the summer, but when winter came around and it got really cold, condensation would build up so quickly in the catch can and the lines. It got so bad once that the condensation mixed up with the oil vapors in the lines and created that milky gunk. I am running a JAZ mini breather connected to the stock black breather box and the valve cover. I have to leave the drain open on the catch can or else it will fill with condensation overnight. Is there any way to avoid this besides switching to a closed setup with vacuum assist?
Old 01-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: eliminating condensation in open breather catch can setups? (EK k kay)

I was going to say getting a plastic or fiberglass/cf can would help, but I'm guessing your JAZ can is plastic.I don't know what you can do since you live in a friggin' rain forest.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: eliminating condensation in open breather catch can setups? (NJIN BUILDR)

your catch can is catching things? seems normal.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eliminating condensation in open breather catch can setups? (Bailhatch)

Yeah it catches the oil vapors, but I'd like it to not catch so much condensation. If I left the drain petcock closed for a week in this kind of wet weather, the catch can would be full of water and would go back into the valve cover and the stock breather. Is there any way around it or is this just something you all live with?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eliminating condensation in open breather catch can setups? (EK k kay)

There's nothing you can do.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eliminating condensation in open breather catch can setups? (Sprockets)

Alfa used an oil vapor seperator. It is a can about the size of a soda can. It seperates the oil from the vapor and returns the oil to the sump via a return line on the dip stick and the vapor is routed back to the intake. I re-used it on my turbo setup... plumbing the vapor pre-turbo. It works well, does not need to be drained as it is self draining and it gets rid of the smell from the fumes. They are about $20 bucks used. I can post a pic if you are interested.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eliminating condensation in open breather catch can setups? (Alfa Turbo)

What you're talking about sounds like a normal pcv system. He has an open breather. I'd rather have it go directly to my intake rather than through the turbo and intercooler. No matter how well it may seem to separate oil from vapor, you're still getting oily residue coating everything.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: eliminating condensation in open breather catch can setups? (Sprockets)

Are you sure there isn't something else wrong with your setup (cough, headlift) or anything?

I live in FLA, so the temps are pretty different but it rains here all the time in the summer (every afternoon) and I do not have condensation at all in either of my 4 catch can lines. I check like every two weeks and neither of my catch cans are close to full. The one off the valvecover NEVER has any oil in it.

Your sheit should not fill up in a week unless your motor has some other serious issues or possibly you do not have enough crankcase ventilation?

How much power you pushing?

PS...people, it sounds like his catch can system is not routed back into the motor/intake mani, just a catchcan with a filter on it.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sprockets &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What you're talking about sounds like a normal pcv system. He has an open breather. I'd rather have it go directly to my intake rather than through the turbo and intercooler. No matter how well it may seem to separate oil from vapor, you're still getting oily residue coating everything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is why I suggested the Alfa part, it works really well. Not sure if it is the baffle design or what but I have NO oily residue. If you look at the compressor side or charge pipes they are spotless and as clean as new.

Maybe I should copy the design and market it...
Old 01-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: eliminating condensation in open breather catch can setups? (Alfa Turbo)

that inline filter will clog pretty quick. And it is a closed system that is venting oily residue into your intake mani and lowering your octane rating.

I would not ever run one.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eliminating condensation in open breather catch can setups? (mike1114)

I do not believe the head is lifting. Maybe I overexagerated by saying it would fill up in a week. The lines and the can catch oil vapor like it's supposed to, but condensation from the wet, moist weather accumulate in the lines and the catch can. If I don't drain the catch can normally then the catch can would eventually fill up with water and end up going back into the lines and back into the valve cover and the stock pcv box.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you don't really need to run a line from valve cover factory vent. there should never be any smoke coming from valve cover or you're not ventilating enough or internal problems. as for pcv valve that goes from stock oil box, i simply run that to IM with 2 inline check valves. i have to add that before these check valves i have a bypass system (all it is is a t fitting with inline check vavle so under boost i vent from pcv valve as well and to atomphere).. before boost i get something similar to factory vacuum assisted ventilation. i also have 2 additoinal vavle cover vents.

oh, and i used to run catch can but i don't see the point of that cause i do'nt get anything inside engine under wot.