Notices

Oil in Turbo Inlet?

Old 08-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Oil in Turbo Inlet?

Hello everyone, i seem to have a strange occurrence on my hands
So a bit of backstory, i had blown my PT 5758 not long ago and had sent it to precision for a rebuild. They had told me that the PT 5758 had been discontinued however they told me it would be possible to convert it to a 5858 in order to successfully perform a rebuild.
So 900 dollars later, i basically had a new turbo. Everything other than the compression house was replaced. New turbine housing, new turbine wheel, new bearing obviously, new seals, and the hole thing was balanced and shipped back.

Today, while doing a bit of polishing on some of my piping, i noticed some oil particles and residue forming around the pipe right where the turbo meets the intake.
I have an oil breather set up that is hooked up to the PCV valve in the back of the engine, i have a a slight, and i mean SLIGHT upwards motion in my drain line from my turbo..not enough i'd think to cause any problems.
The turbo still performs aswell as when i got it, no Difference in Shaft Play, hold boost, still boosts hard.

Here are some images:

Oil:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Breather:
Return Line:

Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Old 08-02-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Oil in Turbo Inlet?

The Return line can really use some work, but isn't the worst thing in the world. it should have a more "natural curve" the oil pan, but even some OEM hard lines look similar.
This really doesn't look that bad. It's just a bit of crankcase pressure from your breather system which could have been worse from NO PCV system, but it's really not bad at all.

If the turbo isn't showing other symptoms, then, Keep Calm & Boost On.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
The Return line can really use some work, but isn't the worst thing in the world. it should have a more "natural curve" the oil pan, but even some OEM hard lines look similar.
This really doesn't look that bad. It's just a bit of crankcase pressure from your breather system which could have been worse from NO PCV system, but it's really not bad at all.

If the turbo isn't showing other symptoms, then, Keep Calm & Boost On.
Im a bit new to the hole PCV system and how it works..i never seemed to grasp the idea behind it, how would i go about correcting my crank case pressure issue?
And ya the more i looked at the picture of the return line, the more i think it needs work lol.
Ill get on that now i guess
Old 08-02-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

In order to have any true idea of any correction, we need to see multiple photos of your breather system in detail, (where it attaches, how it drains, etc).

Again, you really don't have anything to worry about. ALL turbos will experience a bit one way or another. I've seen OEM systems in worse shape than yours currently.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Domoisback
Im a bit new to the hole PCV system and how it works..i never seemed to grasp the idea behind it, how would i go about correcting my crank case pressure issue?
And ya the more i looked at the picture of the return line, the more i think it needs work lol.
Ill get on that now i guess
This is a good read if you haven't seen it yet:

http://https://honda-tech.com/forums...chcan-1199935/

Unfortunately the photos in that thread have 404'd because Photobucket is cancer (I'm assuming they were hosted on Photobucket as I'm mobile right now).

Last edited by TheShodan; 08-03-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SO i did a bit of research and apparently most d-series engines have a PCV valve right on the IM... I dont have one.. The way my ventilation system is set up is the breather can has a hose (a fairly large one) coming straight from the black box on the back of the engine block.
Last night i also noticed a decent amount of oil vapor coming from the breather can and from the smaller breather on the valve cover.

Here's a pic

Last edited by Domoisback; 08-05-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Domoisback
SO i did a bit of research and apparently most d-series engines have a PCV valve right on the IM... I dont have one.. The way my ventilation system is set up is the breather can has a hose (a fairly large one) coming straight from the black box on the back of the engine block.
Last night i also noticed a decent amount of oil vapor coming from the breather can and from the smaller breather on the valve cover.

Ill try to post some more pics of the system
This seems relevant for you:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo.../#post49318742

Although you may want to check leakdown and try to figure out why you're getting so much blowby in the first place.

Edit: I disagree where he says in that post that you can just use an aluminum water bottle for the can though. The oil needs baffling inside to grab onto, especially the lines going upwards from the block ports on the back. You can find cheap baffled cans all over the place.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[/QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Chance EG
This seems relevant for you:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo.../#post49318742

Although you may want to check leakdown and try to figure out why you're getting so much blowby in the first place.

Edit: I disagree where he says in that post that you can just use an aluminum water bottle for the can though. The oil needs baffling inside to grab onto, especially the lines going upwards from the block ports on the back. You can find cheap baffled cans all over the place.
i know that my rings are in good shape, 150-155 across the board on lowered compression, but I'll see if I can get my hands on a leak down tester. I also noticed that usually the breather Ontop of the valve cover is supposed to be sucking in air... Mine isn't it seems to be blowing more than sucking air

my system literally consists of a hose coming from the black box behind the engine to the breather can or (catch can) although I wouldn't really call it a catch can simply because it isn't preventing anything from going back into the system.

theres no secondary hose after the breather can. It doesn't rout back to anything like the valve cover like mentioned in the thread you linked. It just vents to atmosphere after that.

https://i.imgur.com/NXl8t4v.jpg

Last edited by Domoisback; 08-05-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I was running a vent/catch can like yours, the filter on top of it would get clogged with oil and cause high crankcase pressure. this was also causing my 5857 to push oil past the seals. i suggest you pull off the filter to the catch can, and see if it stops.

another thing was the catch can i was using had no internal baffle. so i had to stuff it with stainless steel scrub pads. I wont say for sure that it will stop the issue, but its a good place to start.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by khrys771
when I was running a vent/catch can like yours, the filter on top of it would get clogged with oil and cause high crankcase pressure. this was also causing my 5857 to push oil past the seals. i suggest you pull off the filter to the catch can, and see if it stops.

another thing was the catch can i was using had no internal baffle. so i had to stuff it with stainless steel scrub pads. I wont say for sure that it will stop the issue, but its a good place to start.
alright ill try to see if that fixes it somewhat. Is this type of system good to have or should i move to an actual catch can.
Also, is it possible that the black box on the back of the block gets clogged up? is there a type of valve inside of it?
Sorry for all the questions lol
Old 08-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would think it would have to be hard to clog it up, but originally the pcv sat in a rubber grommet on the back box. at least mine was like that before i removed it.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i took off the catch can filter and is somewhat stopped the oil in the turbo inlet, definitely not as bad as before.
I still have smoke coming from the valve cover breather however.
I also noticed that the black boxes on the back of the engine usually have a valve that is on the top left side, i dont think i have one there either...
So basically i still have no visual sign of where the heck my PCV valve is.

Also, how would i know if this is indeed blowby, how can i tell if its getting better? I feel like once the rings have been compromised there's no way back.

Last edited by Domoisback; 08-09-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A little update, just finished doing a leakdown test at my local shop. Everything looks fine, no leakage. So looks like I'm back to square one
Old 08-16-2017, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump

turbo seems to be pushing more oil out of the inlet now. Still works fine though