Notices

eBay but custom build kit CRX b16

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay but custom build kit CRX b16

Hey all,

I hear pretty regularly that ebay turbo kits are hit and miss. I've done total DIY kits before so I know all about working with what you can get your hands on.

I'm considering this kit:
TD05 16g 70AR 360 HP Boost 4pc Turbo Charger Manifold Kit for B Series B16 B18 | eBay
Tell me what you guy's think..

I'll plan to cut and re-weld the TD05 flange to rotate turbo to clear A/C compressor. I don't know what to expect with the turbo itself. I've heard good and bad about 'ebay' turbo's. I figure it's enough to get me started and everything assembled. If the turbo goes out later, then I'll replace it with a OEM one.

CAR:
-91 CRX B16a OBD0 (with A/C... and keeping A/C)
-walbro 255
-450cc injectors
-already chipped my ECU. I have a chip burner and software to make tunes
-half radiator to make room for turbo

In case you're wondering, I don't want a T3/T4. I want more low to mid range and I need a smaller turbo to fit between my AC lines. The TD05 16G's flow surprisingly well and are smaller than the T3.

Even though I'm starting with an 'ebay kit', bit's going to be a very custom job. There are not many manifold options for b-series motors and TD05's besides going with a log manifold.

Let me know your thoughts...
Old 07-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: eBay but custom build kit CRX b16

A log manifold would actually be a better fit if you're set on going cheap. That manifold is made of cheap thin metal with subpar welds and it will crack. It's not a question of if, just a question of when.

As for the turbo, you get what you pay for when it comes to cheap eBay components. It will probably work but for how long? Will it come apart and cause your engine to ingest all kinds of metal pieces? Will the seals go bad after only 10k miles? Will it even work out of the box? Again, it's not a question of if it will go wrong, just when.

You can get away with a few cheap eBay components as long as they're not that important to the setup like intercooler piping but for the components that actually matter - don't skimp or you will eventually will be paying for them again when they inevitably fail down the road.

Go with a log manifold and try to find a used turbo to suit your needs if you want to go cheap. A log will also help with down low response compared to that junk tubular.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have considered the log manifold (mild steel, not stainless) and weld it myself. I welded most of my previous kit. I just wish I could get my hands on that manifold because who's to say that's it's junk? It looks like it would put the turbo right where I want it but I just need to get my hands on it... I've contacted the seller to give me more details but they can't open the box blah blah..
Old 07-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Many people say. It's pretty much proven. They're badly made out of cheap materials.

I was also thinking you were talking about a cast log. Those are much more durable and cost efficient.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want low and mid range power you have the wrong engine. Swap in a b18 or even b20 block with that b16 head, keep the compression around 10:1 and piece together a better turbo kit with a responsive turbo and you'll end up with a better result.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd love to do that but I'm quite happy with the b16. Maybe one day I'll do a b20 block. This is my daily driver so a turbo that spools up before 3-3.5k rpm is what I want. My previous 'REX only had the 1.6 ZC with a home made turbo kit on it. I used the IHI RHB5 turbo with only 8psi and that car was a blast to daily.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I picked up a nice 16g TD05 turbo (OEM) for $100 local. After sizing everything up, I am so frustrated with the lack of space in a CRX esp with b16 leaning all forward. Back in 2003-2005 I did a few D-series (d16a6 and d16a9 ZC) homemade kits and had space even with the full radiator (but no A/C). I'm already using the half radiator and there's just no way I see keeping the AC with this turbo. I believe it's possible but I've got to have custom AC lines made.. ARG!! Anyone who has done turbo swaps in a b series CRX with A/C, props to you, Sir.

I'm either seriously considering doing away with the A/C or doing a custom log manifold. I'm not a big fan of log manifolds because they can really take some work, can crack, and don't flow as well. I don't want to loose the A/C! I drove a turbo CRX for 13 years without A/C. Just two month's ago I fixed the A/C in this car and it's a slice of heaven. Decisions, decisions