Notices

Discussion Topic: Tell us about your favorite turbocharger and why

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default re: Discussion Topic: Tell us about your favorite turbocharger and why

if you enter the KTS address directly in your address bar it takes you to the site. someone did a clever redirect for the google search results

Those look like the turbochargers used on large locomotive engines, they are actually coupled to engine so the engine can absorb the shaft power being generated by the rotation of the turbo
Old 11-14-2015, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6262 hands down.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_EG_B18C1
6262 hands down.
Hahahaa.. 62 pieces of junk is more like it.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Hahahaa.. 62 pieces of junk is more like it.
Lol I think Precision is a little better now than they once were. The gen 2 6262 have been getting good customer reviews for drag cars. I would never use one of their units on a road race car or any sort of endurance build, but the new ones can atleast hold together for 10 or so seconds at a time of hard use lol.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Garrett > Precision all day every day though. My GTx3076R was light years better than my buddies 5858 on a similar engine and I would Always choose a GTX35__ over a equivalent Precision unit as well.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_EG_B18C1
6262 hands down.
whys that
Old 11-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B20VtecVillain
Garrett > Precision all day every day though. My GTx3076R was light years better than my buddies 5858 on a similar engine and I would Always choose a GTX35__ over a equivalent Precision unit as well.
Care to explain between the gtx3076r and your buddies 5858. since you use the term light years
Old 11-14-2015, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ls joker
Care to explain between the gtx3076r and your buddies 5858. since you use the term light years
Ah where to begin..... :-)..
Old 11-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

The reliability of Precisions journal bearing units is still questionable at best.
Their ball bearing CHRAs seem to be fairly problem free... If you exclude the occasional compressor wheel flex/distortion issues.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

obviously outside reliablitiy. im talking strictly performance on the last qoute
Old 11-14-2015, 04:51 PM

obviously outside reliablitiy. im talking strictly performance on the last qoute
But see, that's the thing. Reliability is a more than prominent reason to avoid these abominations. Otherwise, why continue with all the disapproved head-shaking and laughter of a lot of the CXRacing and EMUSA turbochargers in the first place?

Reliability is part of the performance advantage. This is why Precision doesn't bother with Enduro, WTAC, Indy, F1, and LeMans..... Because they can't

And you wonder why people believe that turbos that last 4-5 years is such an amazing feat. *snicker* In Garrett and Borg-Warner world, even in the performance division, 5 years is a complete walk in the park. Many have had the same ball-bearing CHRA for over 10 years. OEMs have Garrett's running over 150,000-300,000kms. From Saabs to Volvos.

As for the Performance advantage outside of reliability (which is not mutually exclusive), the build quality of the internals of each design is completely different between the two companies. Yes, Precision has had fewer problems as of late. But what you don't understand ls joker, is that Precision has been chasing demons for years, knew what those demons were, and did nothing about it, until enough consumers saw the patterns, and weren't going to accept it anymore. Even then, they didn't fix them all.

The air-cooled CHRAs were only the tip of the iceberg. Unless you're a 1969-1974 VW beetle or Karmann Ghia, (which don't run water-cooled engines that utilize a radiator) Air-cooled isn't enough. As a result, cracked ceramic *****, warped cages, and other issues were just rampant.

*sigh* this is getting long-winded.

Then you have the thrust bearing material content and ball-bearing cage systems that still plagues them even now. Again, to be fair, there is improvement in the Gen2s, but not by much.

And we won't go into the turbine wheel explosive issues that they suffered in 2012-2013 that destroyed several Pro-mod cars. In fact, it was so bad, that Hruska not only had to find a new foundry that could improve their turbine housings, but was so stumped, he was forced to ask Garrett, their former business colleague, for help..with which Garrett told them to kick rocks.

The turbine housing issues were so bad, since Precision put themselves EVERYWHERE it required a change in the SFI rules to where ALL performance turbochargers in SFI divisions had to run Turbine Containment Devices, which hadn't changed since 2000 (SFI Rule sheet section 61.1 new rules):

Honeywell Certification rules SFI 61.1

They now all have to look like this:

Garrett

Precision

So that you don't get this

Now, as for power potential, even AZ_CIVIC showed that with the right combinations in a standard journal bearing CHRA, that the power capability for a 62mm Garrett, (902whp & 6XX wtq on a modified 62mm?... you wanted POWAA, right? )and knock a Precision out of the park without the worry of compressor wheel flex at high boost pressures that Precision suffers.

To be fair, Precision has improved; but only because they were forced to improve. Because of their hold on the industry from aggressive marketing campaigns, specialized restrictive use of turbochargers in certain drag racing divisions, (Precision would be the ONLY turbo company allowed to be run in cars that were in Pro-Mod turbo class divisions and NHRA divisions) and brand loyalty to the point of fanaticism (think GM car Detroit fanatics) despite their issues, and its no wonder they're still kings in the turbocharger performance market.

So, I'm done.. This wasn't supposed to be a rant about Precision Turbo & Engine. They took a good thing, got big... ruined it.. came back with their billet stuff, big marketing.. blew things up.... created a fan base, kept it.. and still screwing up, just not as much....

So, ls joker... I ask you.. what good is performance, if it blows up for garbage reasons...?

*Whew*... How does Wantboost do this **** on a daily basis?
Old 11-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've definitely never been a precision fan. i like seeing, reading, and feeling close differences between units. everyone knows precisions reliability blows. this is merely bout expressing the performance differences. atleast for people like myself who havent sampled an infinite amount of units

nevermind, realistically, they shouldnt even exist in the thoughts of people with thoughtful work into their build

Last edited by TheShodan; 03-21-2017 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Thread cleanup - only removed Shodan Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:42 PM

Understood. But fapping over a bunch of dyno comparisons is honestly, "child's play". Getting turbo quality and best "performance" is looking at all 4 sides of the cube.

Dynos make for great entertainment, speculation, some useful data analysis, and even troubleshooting, but for us readers its just the one side that looks the tastiest.

Last edited by TheShodan; 07-20-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:05 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

In the end any turbocharger will make power. It's just how much, how efficiently, and how long that differs.

For the most part the physical size of the wheels limits power, regardless of who made the turbo. There's only so much air that can be moved at any given time for a particular compressor size. The aerodynamics of the wheel determine how efficiently the compressor wheel imparts work on the fluid being moved (in this case air) and the profile and inducer/exducer relation of the turbine wheel determines how the exhaust gasses impart their energy on the wheel/shaft.

There are a lot of factors in terms of aerodynamics and honestly if I posted even one of them 99% probably wouldn't get it. Ultimately aerodynamics is what tends to set "production" turbos made by each company apart.

After that comes how the wheels are paired up. Basically what size compressor wheel is matched with what turbine wheel.

Then there's the CHRA bearing system design, housing sizes, etc.

I could get much much more in depth but for the terms of this particular thread I can't really justify it. If people want to know more about what goes into wheel designs and aerodynamics I would be more than happy to throw some kind of thread together along with a little help from Mac... As I don't know *everything* about that but I know enough to understand how they relate in terms of wheel performance.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Understood. But fapping over a bunch of dyno comparisons is honestly, "child's play". Getting turbo quality and best "performance" is looking at all 4 sides of the cube.

Dynos make for great entertainment, speculation, some useful data analysis, and even troubleshooting, but for us readers its just just the one side that looks the tastiest.
never said anything but dynos. testimonials are what im looking for. maybe times slip or track time comparisons. inducer and blade aero
Old 11-15-2015, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
In the end any turbocharger will make power. It's just how much, how efficiently, and how long that differs.

For the most part the physical size of the wheels limits power, regardless of who made the turbo. There's only so much air that can be moved at any given time for a particular compressor size. The aerodynamics of the wheel determine how efficiently the compressor wheel imparts work on the fluid being moved (in this case air) and the profile and inducer/exducer relation of the turbine wheel determines how the exhaust gasses impart their energy on the wheel/shaft.

There are a lot of factors in terms of aerodynamics and honestly if I posted even one of them 99% probably wouldn't get it. Ultimately aerodynamics is what tends to set "production" turbos made by each company apart.

After that comes how the wheels are paired up. Basically what size compressor wheel is matched with what turbine wheel.

Then there's the CHRA bearing system design, housing sizes, etc.

I could get much much more in depth but for the terms of this particular thread I can't really justify it. If people want to know more about what goes into wheel designs and aerodynamics I would be more than happy to throw some kind of thread together along with a little help from Mac... As I don't know *everything* about that but I know enough to understand how they relate in terms of wheel performance.
outside noobs, and people who bought not built their car, this is already known.

however, i do believe some of that post is sticky worthy
Old 11-15-2015, 05:58 AM

never said anything but dynos. testimonials are what im looking for. maybe times slip or track time comparisons. inducer and blade aero
That's what we're doing. Giving a particular turbocharger that people like Because of their use or performance. Hell, maybe just a simple wish list, and why. Track time comparisons and "slips" have too many other variables to account for besides the turbocharger.

Back to the goodness. Turbo eye candy, testimonials, and historical references. Save the "slips" for the drag racing forum.

I'm so sick of the Precision crap, I'm honestly debating about deleting my super long post just to be done with them as a point of contention. But I knew it was going to come up sooner or later.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what we're doing. Giving a particular turbocharger that people like Because of their use or performance. Hell, maybe just a simple wish list, and why. Track time comparisons and "slips" have too many other variables to account for besides the turbocharger.

Back to the goodness. Turbo eye candy, testimonials, and historical references. Save the "slips" for the drag racing forum.

I'm so sick of the Precision crap, I'm honestly debating about deleting my super long post just to be done with them as a point of contention. But I knew it was going to come up sooner or later.
But you shouldn't, it was entertaining to read. I by no means am saying that you are wrong about anything in that post, but I've been meaning to ask you for so long the same question. I only ask because

A) In extraordinary amount of tuners run precision, if you go on youtube and check out thatracingchannel or 1320 vid nearly every single god damn person runs a precision, and these are on builds that obviously have a lot of money in them. This goes without saying, surely these are the fanboys that precision somehow managed to establish.

B)Among these 'nobodies' who run precision on their xxxxhp supras and whatnot, there a few very respectable people who insisted on running precision on some of their builds. A few shops that pride themselves with titles and engineering expertise, my personal favorite tuner of all time Frank Profera (I admit I'm mostly only dick riding his latest project though, it epitomizes his lifetime of experience and perhaps one of the best builds on the road today imo), and even around here we D-rob running it on his stock k20 build. I don't think any of these people deserve scrutiny for their competence on creating insane builds except for perhaps some of the shops I've seen running precision, perhaps they're sponsored.

C) A bit of an afterthought; with all of the above and the blatant trashing of precision by some here in the honda community, it can only make a person wonder who the f*ck really knows what they're talking about if you know`m sayin`. It would be like all the top bodybuilders (all with insane physiques) being split down the middle on the use of creatine - some say it's worthless **** others swear it's how they got big (bad analogy, I know)

Thanks for clearing up your judgmental (and justified) attitude towards precision, it'll be curious to see how things progress.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:18 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

What few will tell you is they sell Precision simply for the money. Given their popularity it only makes sense that people would be looking at the profits to be made.

Last edited by wantboost; 11-15-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:39 PM

Comments are in blue of course.

Originally Posted by Geis
But you shouldn't, it was entertaining to read. I by no means am saying that you are wrong about anything in that post, but I've been meaning to ask you for so long the same question. I only ask because

A) In extraordinary amount of tuners run precision, if you go on youtube and check out thatracingchannel or 1320 vid nearly every single god damn person runs a precision, and these are on builds that obviously have a lot of money in them. This goes without saying, surely these are the fanboys that precision somehow managed to establish.

Again, it's not a surprise. Until about 2005, few people on this forum even knew who Precision Turbo and Engine was; Hruska did a fantastic job taking the next 5 years by being busy creating one the most successful marketing machines ever seen by the aftermarket. And he did it by not going to the tuner market. He went to the domestic market first... because he knew that as drag racers follow one another: Those same shops that work on Domestics have colleagues that work parallel those that drag race sport compacts.

There are many people who'll run a Precision knowing that they have problems, and run in a professional capacity. I can give you equally as many if not more Time Attack, FIA Rally in several group divisions, Pikes Peak hillclimbs and several other global racing series, and they would never run anything but a Garrett or AirWerks, with budgets that easily would put your comparisons to shame. They are not considered "fanboys" anymore than you would those drag racers.

I give them credit. They have the perfect marketing campaign that puts Garrett, Borg-Warner, and Turbonetics combined to shame. But it doesn't make them any more correct.. "Might, does not make right".

B)Among these 'nobodies' who run precision on their xxxxhp supras and whatnot, there a few very respectable people who insisted on running precision on some of their builds. A few shops that pride themselves with titles and engineering expertise, my personal favorite tuner of all time Frank Profera (I admit I'm mostly only dick riding his latest project though, it epitomizes his lifetime of experience and perhaps one of the best builds on the road today imo), and even around here we D-rob running it on his stock k20 build. I don't think any of these people deserve scrutiny for their competence on creating insane builds except for perhaps some of the shops I've seen running precision, perhaps they're sponsored.

Again, I can easily counter that from Roger Clark, Luke Ryall, and countless others that can make the same argument for using a quality Garrett brand;. No one is calling people 'nobodies' or 'incompetent'. Different uses call for differences in what is considered to be quality. But I will say this. Increasingly more "respectable" people in the drag racing community (FAR outside these virtual walls) get the idea after continually dealing with Precision's antics. In the end, it may be sponsorship, or depending upon their relationship with Precision, may have the ability to "skip the line" for better support for their product than John Q. Racer.

C) A bit of an afterthought; with all of the above and the blatant trashing of precision by some here in the honda community, it can only make a person wonder who the f*ck really knows what they're talking about if you know`m sayin`.

No I don't. Elaborate. Some people have a specific agenda to **** talk for the sake of throwing shade, others have been in the game long before H-T came around, continually keep a finger on the "pulse of the industry", and know when its best to not say anything for a variety of reasons. Others are more altruistic and have other ideas that can work, but no capital, resources, or the wherewithal to try and change things. It's difficult to determine, but shouldn't turn into a fact-finding-mission for someone unless they're just THAT compelled to do so.

It would be like all the top bodybuilders (all with insane physiques) being split down the middle on the use of creatine - some say it's worthless **** others swear it's how they got big (bad analogy, I know)

In the end, they all go for whatever works for them, but don't feel the need to create a soapbox to preach from. They just continue to work out and do what is in their best interest.

Thanks for clearing up your judgmental (and justified) attitude towards precision, it'll be curious to see how things progress.

I could care less if one feels whether or not I am particularly judgmental. This is precisely why I did NOT want to go into a ridiculous debate on what was to originally be a FUN thread. I've worked with Precision for a number of years before what I consider "the dark times" started. But if it works for them, it works for them.

Can we end this now and go back to the fun stuff, or are you going to continue to be a wet blanket?

Old 02-25-2016, 08:42 PM

Ok. Back to the fun here. I hate that this thread died.

My next favorite is the T.M.E Evo 6.5 RS 16G.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought wantboost was ranting bout that. and talkin bout using it on one of his builds. if not,
whys this one also so special to you. dont have time to look it up, bout to go to work.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha i remember way back from grand turismo 3 the video game, they had a tme evo on there lol
Old 03-18-2017, 12:17 PM
Homosexual by choice

Originally Posted by wantboost
I have a guy sitting on like 10 of those new. Dirty cheap.

I just want the Titanium Aluminide turbine wheel.
Sitting on 10 of TR30 or 10 of Evo 6.5 TME?
Old 03-19-2017, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Discussion Topic: Tell us about your favorite turbocharger and why

Wantboost doesn't come on H-T anymore since his new endeavors. Thanks for bumping the thread to start this back up, as it's been a while, but don't expect a reply at any time.

Quick Reply: Discussion Topic: Tell us about your favorite turbocharger and why