Notices

Discussion Topic: Let's talk Intercoolers!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Track Advocate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Discussion Topic: Let's talk Intercoolers!!

i'm using a Precision 350 intercooler. i wanted something properly sized for my set-up. i'm sure a Mishimoto would have been suffice, but the overall length would have caused me to take a longer route on my ic piping

bumper off

bumper on
Old 07-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used a pwr that came with my peakboost kit iat never really moved even at 500whp on a avg day I now also perfer garret cores like the shoden its intresting to note the cores are a alittle smaller then they say like a 4 inch core is actually only 3.8 thick there is also a larger pressure drop with bigger cores so i tend to size mine around my setup now.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought this used, i was putting together a budget build and it was the cost of a new ebay, but looking at the core it was way nicer and new in the future i would grow into the intercooler. its an old school godspeed intercooler or so i was told. as far as the core it looks as in appearance and fin spacing comprable to a garrett or percision. nothing like an ebay.

best close up i could find

fuzzy pic without bumper

pic with bumper

waiting on a deal for a larger fmic as i think this is just a bit to small
Old 07-24-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

You know its a different time in the world when an Intercooler from Godspeed of all companies is considered to be "old school".

Deciding upon a larger intercooler should be determined by which turbocharger you're running and at which boost pressure, it becomes inefficient to a point where its time to upgrade. I know like most of us, we want to purchase one time, and one time only when it comes to this, so we tend to go overboard on the purchase. But just like the turbocharger itself, one must ask "what power do I plan to realistically obtain?".. That should help to determine type, as well as the proper size for the intercooler.

I have noticed over the years that the correlation between cost/type of intercooler coincides with the cost/type of turbocharger used.

Example. Precision users tend to use Precision or Spearco (formally with Precision) intercoolers, unless their setup requires a unique core, while Godspeed and CX Racing users tend to use Holset or rebuilt Precision or used Garrett turbochargers, in an effort to have a more "budgeted" build.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

................ EDIT....... My bad mac, I didn't even see your first post, cause I clicked on the 2nd page.. haha

CXracing
29 x 8 x 2.5
2.5" inlets

Had to enlarge EF radiator support holes.

Only had to cut 1.5" off the stock bumper support.

cold side was simple, hotside was a little trickier

I'm old school and love my ww kit. lol

Reason I picked this one:
1) something good for decent power (400-450whp)
2) fill up my ww grill which is 24 x 5.5"
3) back door inlets cause I wanted to the least amount of piping/bends as possible
4) didn't want something that would required me to hack up my bumper & & bumper support too much

Final thoughts:
It works great for me!
It's not too thick to which it slows down airflow to my small 12x13 full-race radiator.
AIT are good (at least on the dyno) they never went past 125ish F.
WW bumper has 2" lip which helps direct air somewhat... lol

Future mods to help with FMIC cooling:
- adding waster spray jets to lower part of WW grill
- diversion plate on the backside of FMIC (right of the radiator) to help direct flow out of the engine bay....(should create some vacuum pulling air out while car in motion)
- bought another ww bumper will be hacking that up to make it 8" tall grill vs. currently 5.5" tall.

Last edited by Charlie Moua; 07-24-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Moua
cx racing 29x8x2.75.... back door end-tanks
$260ish FTW
lol

works fine for me so far.
See? I knew I was starting trouble here. And only YOU would start spoutin' price tags again!!!

I was only looking at a relative correlation on overall price/performance, which is why I purposefully did not state any prices...Hehe.

From now on.. NO MORE ACTUAL PRICES.. let's keep this on point of efficiency, type, endtank configuration, etc.. TECH and SPEC, not PRICE CORRECT.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well this intercooler would probably be as efficient as a much larger ebay intercooler simply because of the supperior design. But i would compare it to a percision 350hp intercooler which is good for a bit more than that.....and my goal is 4-450 so im most likely not getting as much cooling as i need with the current setup. And your right it is a budget build made to hold its own against some of the "baller" builds. Hence me waiting on a good deal for a decent non-chinese intercooler.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday I was tuning a s2000 with an intercooler similar in size to BLU CIVIC's, but it was some sort of cheap ebay piece. The turbo setup was nice, but the intercooler was seriously lacking. It made 270whp on 3.5psi, 341whp on 8.5 psi, and only 380 on 14psi :/. It appeared that the intercooler became terribly inneficient at higher boost levels. I put a pressure transducer on the turbo's compressor outlet and saw a substantial pressure rise greater than intake manifold pressure all the way to redline on high boost, while the actual boost read by the car's map sensor fell off a bit as rpms climbed.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:40 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by SOHC_MShue
Yesterday I was tuning a s2000 with an intercooler similar in size to BLU CIVIC's, but it was some sort of cheap ebay piece. The turbo setup was nice, but the intercooler was seriously lacking. It made 270whp on 3.5psi, 341whp on 8.5 psi, and only 380 on 14psi :/. It appeared that the intercooler became terribly inneficient at higher boost levels. I put a pressure transducer on the turbo's compressor outlet and saw a substantial pressure rise greater than intake manifold pressure all the way to redline on high boost, while the actual boost read by the car's map sensor fell off a bit as rpms climbed.
I think we need more reviews/testimonials like this
Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My old school JRC intercooler has been going strong for 6 years now at or around the 300hp mark
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The first Turbo I received came from Full-Race and this intercooler came with it. Full-Race ProStreet Intercooler. Don't know nothing about intercoolers but made 800Hp off this kit running a T67 Garrett Turbo and still running strong. Just a week ago bought the new Full Race Out Law Manifold with BW T67 using the Full Race Drag Intercool Set up 24x12x4.5, this thing is a monster. I'm asking my self if it is really needed because I could use the room.
Attached Images     
Old 07-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the Precision 600hp IC on my B16 build and started to get hot and lose its efficiency upwards of 500whp. Switched to a Vibrant IC part# 12815, rated for almost 900hp. At 20psi, switching intercoolers gave me about 13-17 whp when compared dyno sheets and almost same variables. At 34psi made 607whp and the intercooler was a little warm on the inlet side and ambient temp on the outlet side. More than half of the IC was cold. Bought this IC because looking to hit 700.

I believe intercoolers are rated for flywheel or brake horsepower.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by VTEC+Mini
I had very little choice on mine due to size and location but I think it fits sweet right above the transmission. I'll add a scoop and maybe some protective sheet metal or fender liner to keep road debris from launching through it. It's not an over the top HP install so the size of the intercooler could be sacrificed...no idea what make or brand it is or where it's from. Greg fished around a great deal to find one that fit. I didn't want to pay for a custom one!

First time logging in and months and bam...lol

I have several ...probably hundreds, of various FMIC/Intercooler pics /setups we've built on our other computer. I'll get some up.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish I had some real data about what my intercooler can handle. I cannot for the life of me find my turbo kit online since it was discontinued so long ago. I probably just need to call spearco.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Icon2 Re: Discussion Topic: Let's talk Intercoolers!!

I know there's probably a lot of compar-o's for factory turbo cars, but not for Honda's that I've seen. I'd really like to see the gains between small ebay/high-density and large ebay/high-density cores.

If I'm reading that above example right, that's maybe a 3% gain at ~550whp. Most people I know go turbo because they're tired of paying $500+ for a 17whp - that's what I'd expect from the NA world. I'm sure many guys would rather do cams/porting/IM/exhaust stuff first, given the gains you can see with that stuff.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AFI made, garrett core 18x12x3 core rated at 750hp backdoor entry 2.75" inlet/outlet using it with a pte dbb 6765 havent gone past 600hp yet. What are the thoughts on 750-800hp on this
Old 07-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigD
My old school JRC intercooler has been going strong for 6 years now at or around the 300hp mark
beat me to it, since we brought up godspeed being considered "old school"

i made 350something with a johnny race car intercooler in 2005. they were pretty thin but really long and i had to do work on my bumper to make it fit the piping. heres a pic taken a few weeks before it was stolen.

after the jrc i went to a good sized spearco. it worked well my iat's never got out of control.

now im using a precision 600 and i see higher iat than with the spearco
Old 07-24-2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by LocoJoe
I had the Precision 600hp IC on my B16 build and started to get hot and lose its efficiency upwards of 500whp. Switched to a Vibrant IC part# 12815, rated for almost 900hp. At 20psi, switching intercoolers gave me about 13-17 whp when compared dyno sheets and almost same variables. At 34psi made 607whp and the intercooler was a little warm on the inlet side and ambient temp on the outlet side. More than half of the IC was cold. Bought this IC because looking to hit 700.

I believe intercoolers are rated for flywheel or brake horsepower.
that's exactly right. They do go by crank HP and not to the wheels for the Precision units.
That happened to LocoJoe as well, as his 600hp Precision was so hot it caused blisters to the touch. He then changed up and did great ever since.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by fukenboostin
AFI made, garrett core 18x12x3 core rated at 750hp backdoor entry 2.75" inlet/outlet using it with a pte dbb 6765 havent gone past 600hp yet. What are the thoughts on 750-800hp on this
I think 800whp to the WHEELS is pushing it, but 750whp may be possible with this Garrett core. this is the older model with the 2 rows of louvered fins and not the 3 row ones that are used now.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How can I tell if i'm looking at a louvered fin?..or.. what's a louvered fin?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by B and B
How can I tell if i'm looking at a louvered fin?..or.. what's a louvered fin?
I'm working on a write up now with photos.

In the meantime, my good friend from VRE making endtanks to a 900hp Garrett core for B&R Fittings.

Final product.

Last edited by TheShodan; 09-18-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love using Garrett cores for my intercoolers, but most people are too cheap for them. For the "budget-minded" guys that want a 'custom' intercooler, I end up using Vibrant cores, which actually seem to work quite well, also.

Here's a dual-back-door unit I made for a super-clean EK.

And another single-back-door for a B-Series EK with a ramhorn.

And another random back-door IC made for a car with a top-mount.

One of these days, I will make one for my personal car, but lazyness prevails. Full-Race it is until then!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres a Double backdoor 900 we did w/ cast endtanks

Same design, 600hp double back door

Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We use Garrett and private label cores. Anything custom over 600hp custom gets a garrett core. The bulk of our standard 200-600whp setups (ie. basic kits) we use one of our four PL FMIC w/ cast tanks or mod cast tanks.

950hp w/ cast tanks

500, 600, 600, 900 back door
Garret cores, CNC and cast tanks
Old 07-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
that's exactly right. They do go by crank HP and not to the wheels for the Precision units.
That happened to LocoJoe as well, as his 600hp Precision was so hot it caused blisters to the touch. He then changed up and did great ever since.
well then....i should have done more research before i bought my 600hp precision intercooler. i guess im gonna have to start shopping around to upgrade

Quick Reply: Discussion Topic: Let's talk Intercoolers!!