Notices

D16A8 - The "Aussie Boost" Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 10:27 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16A8 - The "Aussie Boost" Project

Hi everyone I am new to the honda tuner scene amd have heard alot of different stories about my aussie market 91 eg civic hatch with the D16A8 motor in it. I am after some advice on upgrading to boost the horsepower...been told alot of different stories on how to do so. I want to go turbo and was wondering if anyone has done this and what parts they used. I want to at least double the factory hp
Old 03-07-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: D16A8 Upgrades

Well. Welcome to Honda-Tech. Please , if you could, put a location (Through the User CP) of your location so that we don't forget (as different parts and availability may be different for you, and without that location, many users may give you improper advice simply because most here are in the North American Continent.)

Also, this forum has over 17 years of information archived here, so many questions that you have are easily repeated and there are answers to them. So, with that, look to the FAQs highlighted in Grey at the top of the forum that can show you the basics,, and there is a special thread that has been made for the D16 engine that you can also look to see ideas and insights on how to perform this operation on your Honda. I know that Honda modification is relatively new in Australia / New Zealand, but has been done here for many years, (until recently.)

This (and the other ) "Tech" forums really pride themselves in information gathering and dissemination. So, please try to keep your questions specific, and minimize the use of multiple threads for single questions. Please make sure you've done your own due diligence in searching before creating a new thread to ask. Remember, your questions are going to be for other users / potential users too, and not just your own.

We'll try our best to help, but this place isn't the best to give step-by-step instructions or "spoon feeding", so, come prepared. You may feel you're getting attacked by a barrage of questions behind your reasoning; please don't take any offense to it, we just may not know the direction your heading, and we can't read minds, so we need to know as much as we can about your project and goals...

Lastly, try not get easily defensive and check your ego at the door. We may not know everything, but the the more information you start to give, the better information you'll received.
You're going to get opinions from many different angles and thought processes. So, you may see some intra-bickering amongst the answers. It's common. Try not to sweat it too much.

The search engine here is really bad, so I recommend using Google with the line... Site: Honda-Tech.com be used in order to help narrow down searches.

Here those two links I was mentioning. Again, welcome to the H-T community.

FAQ's
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...2A%2A-1024174/

Single Camshaft Turbo thread - Even though this is a DOHC engine technically, it is similar to the ZC Engine.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...slams-1643764/
Old 03-07-2017, 06:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: D16A8 - The "Aussie Boost" Project

For those of us not familiar with that particular engine, here are the basic specifications to work from:

D16A8 - Similar to the ZC engine so it is DOHC

• Found in:
    • 1988–1995 Civic/CRX/Concerto (UK/Europe/Australia)
    • 1992–1995 Rover 216/416 GTi (UK/Europe)
    • 1993–1997 Rover 216 Sport Coupé (Europe)
      • Bore and Stroke: see D16 Series Engines
      • Displacement: see D16 Series Engines
      • Compression : 9.5:1
      • Power : 122 PS (90 kW; 120 hp) at 6,800 rpm
      • Torque : 14.9 kg·m (146 N·m; 108 lb·ft) at 5,900 rpm
      • Valvetrain : DOHC (4 valves per cylinder)
      • Fuel Control : OBD-0 and OBD-1 MPFI
      • ECU Code : PP5 (OBD-0), P29 (OBD-1)
      • Head Code : PM7
      • Gearbox : L3

Also, here was an older discussion on the D16A8 that may interest you from 2006

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...stion-1777497/