Notices

Cxracing turbo review

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cxracing turbo review

Originally Posted by rclark
No, it comes down to airflow and the ability of the turbo to produce cooler air to a lesser extent. If 6psi was 6psi there would only be one size of turbo. Why would there be any need for a larger turbocharger than a 14b or a lil baby IHI if every PSI meant the same thing. I know where you are coming from, time to do a little more reading
I said all things being equal, which would include outlet temps.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:35 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by drummerdude
I saw this in another thread, it was alot older so I didn't bother to post. I am not condoning buying cheap turbos... so nobody hurt my feelings, please?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but psi is a standard unit of measurement, 6 psi from two different turbos (one cxracing and one $1200 garrett) should make the same power at the same psi, the only way the power would change is if the turbo spools at different times, but if the two turbos spooled at the same tim, all other things being equal (obviously the turbos aren't equal) 8psi from either turbo should make the same power. the engine doesn't know that the 8psi came from a cheap turbo or a good quality one. I may be wrong on this (wouldn't be the first time), but if both turbos were exactly the same, aside from the quality... they would make the same power. so switching to a name brand turbo itself shouldn't give you any more power.
I understand your logic, but you're forgetting that they are not the same. blade configuration, backwall angle, and splitter design, in additional to the differences in inducer and exducer are all different from Garrett, turbonetics and definitely Borg-Warner. they do that for copywrite infringement where they can still sell their product.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know why you dont see reviews of poeple using these after like 50k miles. because they dont exist
Old 08-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I understand your logic, but you're forgetting that they are not the same. blade configuration, backwall angle, and splitter design, in additional to the differences in inducer and exducer are all different from Garrett, turbonetics and definitely Borg-Warner. they do that for copywrite infringement where they can still sell their product.
I agree 100% that those are better turbos, I am not arguing that point. the point that gets me is 6psi from x brand makes more power than 6psi from Y brand, if temps are lower it makes sense there'd be more power, so I guess ultimately I am wrong.

when I saw the posts I wasn't thinking about lower temps, just that psi is the same from turbo to turbo, temps may not be, but the amount of air entering the engine would be the same at 6psi regardless of what turbo it is, right?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I agree 100% that those are better turbos, I am not arguing that point. the point that gets me is 6psi from x brand makes more power than 6psi from Y brand, if temps are lower it makes sense there'd be more power, so I guess ultimately I am wrong.

when I saw the posts I wasn't thinking about lower temps, just that psi is the same from turbo to turbo, temps may not be, but the amount of air entering the engine would be the same at 6psi regardless of what turbo it is, right?
No. not when i stated is accounted for. This is what makes the Borg-Warners so different from others. Because they have lower IATs at the same boost level based upon the taller compressor wheel inducer design.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bigger turbos can flow more cubic feet per minute. Isn't that correct?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how am I wrong? I have no issue if I am, but the manifold sees Xpsi, it doesn;t matter what made that psi, the manifold sees the same amount of air, the same psi... so how would it be different?

its not about PSI, its all about CFM.

A small t3 can produce 15lbs and flow 28 cfm
a med frame 60-1 can produce 48ish cfm at 15lbs
Old 08-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I seen the good and bad of these turbos. My brother dd one for about a year and a half no problem and made 445hp. And he boosted the car everyday. But the kit parts was swapped out over better stuff cause one day the wastegate failed, then the bov. Kit was free tho. So why not try it out. Sold the kit for a name brand and made more power with less boost and low iat.

I also seen one of these grenade and take out a whole built swap.

There are alot of people out here in socal running them. I know a couple of people with 10sec cars on them. But its the turbo only with everything else name brand. So its a hit and miss.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive read this whole tread and all the man is doing is tring to give his acct on the turbo he is running. when u say u get what u pay for , that can go either way . Big named comps are having the turbos fail too. .
Old 08-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
its not about PSI, its all about CFM.

A small t3 can produce 15lbs and flow 28 cfm
a med frame 60-1 can produce 48ish cfm at 15lbs

No...lol.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, if the OP drives like a granny and never see boost, then he can make the turbo last longer than his engine if he wanted to.

These reviews don't really mean much. It has to come from a person who is highly regarded in the industry and knows the difference.

You can send a kid who eats fast food all his life, to be a judge for a top executive chef cooking contest. He will give a perfect score for just about everything he eats there.

How would the OP know the difference between spool vs flow capability, efficiency ranges, response and spool recovery among the turbos?

I have a friend whose parents had a Volvo 850 turbo... He upgraded the turbo for them and a few bolt ons many years ago. Well, the compressor wheel was mangled because it ingested a broken piece of plastic from the airbox, but he didn't have time to replace it or fix it. Well, his parents drove the car for another 120+ k miles without even knowing that the turbo was not building boost. The turbo still spins up to this day, but only builds like 3 PSI of boost.

You can give a review that a Volvo turbo with a mangled compressor wheel has outlasted just about every Ebay turbo out there.

Props to the OP for making a review thread, but unfortunately, it's quite a meaningless one.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
Well, if the OP drives like a granny and never see boost, then he can make the turbo last longer than his engine if he wanted to.

These reviews don't really mean much. It has to come from a person who is highly regarded in the industry and knows the difference.

You can send a kid who eats fast food all his life, to be a judge for a top executive chef cooking contest. He will give a perfect score for just about everything he eats there.

How would the OP know the difference between spool vs flow capability, efficiency ranges, response and spool recovery among the turbos?

I have a friend whose parents had a Volvo 850 turbo... He upgraded the turbo for them and a few bolt ons many years ago. Well, the compressor wheel was mangled because it ingested a broken piece of plastic from the airbox, but he didn't have time to replace it or fix it. Well, his parents drove the car for another 120+ k miles without even knowing that the turbo was not building boost. The turbo still spins up to this day, but only builds like 3 PSI of boost.

You can give a review that a Volvo turbo with a mangled compressor wheel has outlasted just about every Ebay turbo out there.

Props to the OP for making a review thread, but unfortunately, it's quite a meaningless one.
your comparison makes no sense, how about this

you send a starving child to judge a top executive chef cooking contest, he doesnt give a **** about the food, just wants fast cheap food that fills him up.

so if i drive my car in a conservative manner, it should last a while? well its a street car. my daily driver. so it should last a while then?

your mangled volvo turbo outlasted just about every ebay turbo? except it only made 3 psi. so it wasnt functioning correctly. my turbo is making more than 3 psi btw
Old 08-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 4tika4
your comparison makes no sense, how about this

you send a starving child to judge a top executive chef cooking contest, he doesnt give a **** about the food, just wants fast cheap food that fills him up.

so if i drive my car in a conservative manner, it should last a while? well its a street car. my daily driver. so it should last a while then?

your mangled volvo turbo outlasted just about every ebay turbo? except it only made 3 psi. so it wasnt functioning correctly. my turbo is making more than 3 psi btw
Cool man.

But wouldnt you rather buy something with a little piece of mind that you could beat the **** out of it everyday and be able to have your attention on the engine instead?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Cool man.

But wouldnt you rather buy something with a little piece of mind that you could beat the **** out of it everyday and be able to have your attention on the engine instead?
if i was making more power. with a built motor or perhaps a gsr or b16. right now im just rockin a stock b20. only making around 240ish to the wheels. dont quote me on that i havent been to a dyno. im still learning the fundamentals of a turbo car. I would rather try a 200 dollar turbo first rather than a 700-800 one, just in case it failed due to user error.. installation ect.. i researched for about a year before i started my build, and i couldnt find much info or feedback on these turbos. So maybe there is somebody who wants to try a low horsepower build and is researching like i was. I just want to provide them with my experience, i have had good luck with mine so far, so maybe they can pull the trigger and get a little build going. you have to start somewhere.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

$700-800 turbo? Garbage... jeesh, everbody knows if you aren't spending $1,500+ on the turbo alone it is going to catch your car on fire. I saw somebody put an eBay turbo in their car and it just burst into flames after the last bolt was tightened.

I <3 Honda-Tech. It makes me giggle.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried to take the OP seriously, I really did. Then I read this:

my tuner estimates i am making approx 240 to the wheels.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

God... what a tuner...
Old 08-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let's look at some facts.

1. There are some people that have had tremendous success with "no name" turbochargers.
2. There are some people that have had massive failures from "no name" turbochargers.
3. Big name turbochargers do fail from time to time and it is not user error.
4. The fastest/most reliable machines in the world use big name turbochargers.

I personally have seen a Garrett 60-1 fail in 5k miles on a friends car staying well within the limits of the unit as recommended by Garrett. He swapped out to a door stop turbo (literally) at the shop and make the same power and same boost. That turbo has about 40k miles on it with plenty of load put on it.

Another friend had the same type of turbo on his car and the damn thing fell apart in months. Compressor housing cracked and somehow bent the shaft and had contact with both wheels. It seems to be hit or miss with both big name and no name turbos. I can say bi name turbo manufacturers stand behind there products. Not so much with the cheaper substitutes.

Also it seems like the domestic car guys have crazy success with no name turbos and intercoolers. Anyone else notice this as well?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will take a dump on your face and then throw pubes on it so you will look like a god damn horse nun. 666 bro
I want to soak chicken nuggets in your urine, so I can mash them up with my gums
I'm sorry but I LOL'd so freaking loud when I read this. Hilarious lmao.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And I dont see what the big deal is about my tuner estimating how much power I'm making. He's tuned hundreds of cars. Builds of all magnitude
Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LS AzZkIkr
Let's look at some facts.

1. There are some people that have had tremendous success with "no name" turbochargers.
2. There are some people that have had massive failures from "no name" turbochargers.
3. Big name turbochargers do fail from time to time and it is not user error.
4. The fastest/most reliable machines in the world use big name turbochargers.

I personally have seen a Garrett 60-1 fail in 5k miles on a friends car staying well within the limits of the unit as recommended by Garrett. He swapped out to a door stop turbo (literally) at the shop and make the same power and same boost. That turbo has about 40k miles on it with plenty of load put on it.

Another friend had the same type of turbo on his car and the damn thing fell apart in months. Compressor housing cracked and somehow bent the shaft and had contact with both wheels. It seems to be hit or miss with both big name and no name turbos. I can say bi name turbo manufacturers stand behind there products. Not so much with the cheaper substitutes.

Also it seems like the domestic car guys have crazy success with no name turbos and intercoolers. Anyone else notice this as well?
I've seen this too
Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 AM
EK9

Because your tuner should of tuned your car on a dyno, and if he did you would know the HP not estimate it
Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend pushed the same exact 57 trim for 12k miles at 12 psi. Then sold the car and it was driven by our mutual friend for another 4k, then after that it was sold and no complaints were heard of.

Either way the actual turbo never gave us an issue. However I don't think this guy is trying to compare it to big name companies. I run a garrett on my car from the Peakboost kit. But that cxracing turbo is just fine. It's very well built for the price you pay for it.

To each their own regardless. I would run it on any of my cars.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dc4LsTeG
Because your tuner should of tuned your car on a dyno, and if he did you would know the HP not estimate it
Street tuned for street conditions
Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Clash0901
My friend pushed the same exact 57 trim for 12k miles at 12 psi. Then sold the car and it was driven by our mutual friend for another 4k, then after that it was sold and no complaints were heard of.

Either way the actual turbo never gave us an issue. However I don't think this guy is trying to compare it to big name companies. I run a garrett on my car from the Peakboost kit. But that cxracing turbo is just fine. It's very well built for the price you pay for it.

To each their own regardless. I would run it on any of my cars.
You seem to understand exactly what I'm saying. Thank you

Quick Reply: Cxracing turbo review