Notices

catch can fume traffic

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default catch can fume traffic

I have one of the 1 gallon catch can setups on my del sol and its giving a horrible smell inside my bay that its given me a headache when im driving. I wanted to know if anyone has taken off the filters and rerouted the fumes under the car and if that solved the problem?

2 pictures of the setup are attached.
Attached Images   
Old 04-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: catch can fume traffic

I had the same issue with my T1 can that I had before. One time on the highway it looked like i had smoke in the car when the sun hit it just right. I plan to run hoses off where the filters are and down under the car for my new setup, which will be daily driven. I will replace the filter back on top before going to any type of track event so that they wont think Im trying to put oil down on the track. I don't see any issues with this unless your having oil come out of the filters like people have had when using smaller catch cans. Try it out let us know if anything unexpected comes up.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i thought of the idea of running hoses down under the car as well but i dont want it to look ghetto either... i am curious to know if something could be designed for these systems to improve that...
Old 04-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you run hoses under the car i would still use a fillter if you have a drain back so you dont get dirt and stuff in your oil.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I can see, the place where that plastic trim lives below the windscreen, shouldn't there be a rubber seal there? I took the rubber seal off on my DA & suffered a similar smell problem, put it back and the problem went away.
Your aircon intake vents are less than two feet from the breathers on top of the can!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the recirculate setting instead of the fresh air setting.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

shifty-well that helps a little bit but not completely and I have the ac manifold and as soon as I get the ac condensor install this would not be a resolution.

ebola-yea i took that off to allow heat to escape which could infact be a big part of the problem but it does smell like oil so I believe the majority of it is because of the catch can.

I sent an to brian at B&R fittings that would be a better looking result than just running hoses under the car. Hopefully we can get this thing done up. If so... I will post results!
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used a V8 style breather that is 1" in and a 5/8ths 45deg nipple coming out the top (it has an enclosed filter) and ran that down between the rear x-member and the chassis/firewall. it worked great and i didnt feel like i was going to die anymore.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do people ask why you stink like exhaust when you arrive places?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha...
I just put mine on recirculate and open the windows now.

I used to have two 1" hoses running down the fire wall and behind the subframe and that worked much better for the smell.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im gona have to do this. I just finished, and installed my catch can and I smell like Ive been living in a honda oilpan.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shifty35
Use the recirculate setting instead of the fresh air setting.
Problem is, when it rains it fogs up the windows then you cant see shyt.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crucian
Problem is, when it rains it fogs up the windows then you cant see shyt.
That's why you drive your beater in the rain, instead of your turbo Honda with no traction.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Except for me, my beater is my turbo honda. I dd my turbo car. And even with it on recerc. it still smells like texas tea.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i need to get these hoses installed and ran under the car to relocate the fumes... the recirculating thing is not completely making it stop and even having the recirculating setting on it still stinks in there from the catch can and it is infact the catch can.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im going to give this a shot also. Ill post some results in a few days.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

back from the dead...

so i never did anything with this except for changing out the filters with the shielded filters which actually was a drastic change... the blocked the fresh air vent behind the catch can so all the fumes basically were routed up and out by the fuse box with the shields....

well i am curious if anyone has routed the catch can fumes through the exhaust instead of just dumping them to the atmosphere in or below the engine bay....

if you routed them through the exhaust would the exhaust pull the fumes out the back of the car with the exhaust gasses or would it back itself up (the fumes and the exhaust) into the catch can......
Old 01-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you could get really creative. run the catch lines to a box with a k&n filter in it, then lines from that that box to the air filter tube. the air filter in the box would trap oil particles and the exit into the air filter tube will prevent the smell.

Last edited by racebum; 01-07-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I gotta do somthing as well cuz during the summer i have the windows down and it doesnt bug me but during the winter It smokes me ut so Im driving with my rear windows down in the rain to keep the smoke out haha.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotta use a slashcut tube to suck those fumes into the exhaust BEHIND the catalytic converter if you have one, and you have to have a very free flowing exhaust system from there back. Oh, also it's necessary to utilize the standard one way valve in the slash cut tube if you want to maximize negative pressure in the tube. Otherwise the oscillations in the exhaust do something that results in less negative pressure in the tube without the one way valve.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Gotta use a slashcut tube to suck those fumes into the exhaust BEHIND the catalytic converter if you have one, and you have to have a very free flowing exhaust system from there back. Oh, also it's necessary to utilize the standard one way valve in the slash cut tube if you want to maximize negative pressure in the tube. Otherwise the oscillations in the exhaust do something that results in less negative pressure in the tube without the one way valve.
thats a good idea.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good point...

I wonder if a 2" pipe routed into the exhaust system behind the shift linkage would do the trick...

i already did the recirculation on the wastegate.... i think recirculating crank case pressure and the blowoff valve would remove almost all of the smell from the engine bay... i would assume most of the smell was actually the dumptube...

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DelSolMarine
good point...

I wonder if a 2" pipe routed into the exhaust system behind the shift linkage would do the trick...

i already did the recirculation on the wastegate.... i think recirculating crank case pressure and the blowoff valve would remove almost all of the smell from the engine bay... i would assume most of the smell was actually the dumptube...
man with the fab skills I have seen in your thread you should be able to put somthing together haha
Old 01-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just outta curiosity, and since it wasnt asked already in the thread, OP did you even block off/delete all the firewall holes on the passenger side of the car? there were at least 4 on my 98 hatch not including the wire harness going into the cabin....had to seal it better...I had the same problem with my catch can and then i began using an angled piece of metal that vents the air from the top filters to the small space between where the hood meets the firewall...my hood was already tilted so it helped out alot....just let the passing air pull out the fumes from the engine bay and the catch can simultaneously....
Old 01-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it may be a bad idea to route them under the car.. what if it rains and clogs up the filters??

Quick Reply: catch can fume traffic