Notices

Car runs soo hot

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car runs soo hot

bad rad

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62032926@N07/6518922117/http://www.flickr.com/photos/62032926@N07/6518921965/

Last edited by olddohc; 01-07-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Car runs soo hot

I'll let you figure it out, but i'll give you a hint..

Car stops = idling slow = low rpms = not over heating

Car moves = rpms up = water pump suppose to be moving water = car still runs hot??

If you replaced your thermostat and dont have any leaks or air bubbles in your system, i suggest looking the next place that deals with cooling which is...?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What kind of thermostat? Get a real temp gauge
Old 12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thermostats are designed to stay wide open when they go bad (not to say they always do)

If you had to put water in it.....but have no leaks......I say you bleed the coolant system. You might have air in the system.

Not coolant itself....all it does is stop the water from freezing.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
What kind of thermostat? Get a real temp gauge
just an OEM gsr, opens at 180. this is my first turbo ever so i don't know much, please go easy lol. so i should get an aftermarket temp guage to see how hot it is actually getting?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How's the radiator / fan setup??

Check your waterpump..
Old 12-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cafrog
Thermostats are designed to stay wide open when they go bad (not to say they always do)

If you had to put water in it.....but have no leaks......I say you bleed the coolant system. You might have air in the system.

Not coolant itself....all it does is stop the water from freezing.
i will try that too thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ALL M0T0R
How's the radiator / fan setup??

Check your waterpump..
best pic i got of it, how can you check the waterpump without taking the timing belt off and all that crap

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62032926@N07/6310311005/
Old 12-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Water pump......You can take the dust covers off and look for leaks.....if it was seized up.....water would not circulate and get hot easy.

Does it cool off when you drive it? (aka get the wind pushing on the rad nice and hard)
Old 12-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cafrog
Water pump......You can take the dust covers off and look for leaks.....if it was seized up.....water would not circulate and get hot easy.

Does it cool off when you drive it? (aka get the wind pushing on the rad nice and hard)
no, it stays normal when the car is idling and not moving. when i start driving and the turbo is spooling and/or building boost the car gets hot. the pic is me driving 65 mph on the fwy
Old 12-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JEEEZUS KRIST!!!!

dont let that **** climb dude! c'mon not to bag but if your letting your temp get that high. you should take it to someone who understands vehcles better.

Make sure fans are coming on
Change thermostat
Top off fluid
Open radiator cap once car is on and look inside the radiator you SHOULD see water moving from left to right,
if not it could be your pump.

And make your you bleed the system when the vehicle is on a slant, with nose up.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think its all been said!

Make sure you bleed the air out of the system : run it with the radiator cap off untill it get to operating temp, then top off the radiator & put the cap on, I would do that first because it's the cheapest. While your doing that after you put the cap on let it idle and watch to see if the fan kicks on!

If that doesnt fix it check the water pump, I would look for leakage, as well as remove the timing belt and check the pulley for play, but if you are doing all that you might as well replace it considering how much time you will have in it to check the pump.

If you are using S300, you can lower the temp that the fan kicks on!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 10psiLsEf2
JEEEZUS KRIST!!!!

dont let that **** climb dude! c'mon not to bag but if your letting your temp get that high. you should take it to someone who understands vehcles better.

Make sure fans are coming on
Change thermostat
Top off fluid
Open radiator cap once car is on and look inside the radiator you SHOULD see water moving from left to right,
if not it could be your pump.

And make your you bleed the system when the vehicle is on a slant, with nose up.

trust me man i was trippin too when i saw it, but i had my buddy on the phone with me while it was happening and he said it was ok. he builds motors and practically put my car together he knows his stuff for sure.

just talked to my buddy that had the motor before me, changed the TB and Water Pump a couple months before i got it so they are basically new, fan does come on and i did have it full with coolant with the cap off. so yeah tomorrow im going to try a new thermostat and go from there, thank you for all the input
Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my overheat protection would have been on if my temp ever got that high lol what kind of fan is that on there? if everything else checks out you should look into getting the highest rated Spal fan you can get.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does your car run any different when it gets hot? i.e. bogging down , big loss of power, smoke from exhaust? it could also be your coolant temp sensor. I wouldnt drive it much AT ALL so you dont blow a headgasket just in case
Old 12-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there anyway to fit a full rad with 2 fans on the outside?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

had similar issues with my accord last year... BLEED the system... Easy to do and even if it's not the case, then check it off the list...
Old 12-16-2011, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by olddohc
trust me man i was trippin too when i saw it, but i had my buddy on the phone with me while it was happening and he said it was ok. he builds motors and practically put my car together he knows his stuff for sure.
You need to find a new buddy. If he thinks that is ok for driving, I wouldn't trust what he says. What engine management are you running? Can you log the car while you are driving to see the real temp? Was the car tuned? What fan is on the car? What radiator?
Old 12-16-2011, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

had an issue with my car doing this last year. It is very possible you have a pin size hole in the radiator somewhere and you dont even see it. Its enough for the radiator to leak and you not even notice it. If you have a spare radiator laying around, give it a try. what do you have to lose.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i always stick a funnel tight into the radiator this way the coolant rises up the funnel as the car runs this also makes it the highest point in the cooling system. I get all the air out everytime. Let it run until the thermostat opens ( bottom hose gets hot) then squeeze both hoses to push whatever air is trapped in it....i usually jack the front of the car up slightly as well.

ALso cheap *** radiator doesnt sound like a good idea in a turbo set-up. How big is you're FMIC? sometimes that can also block airflow to the radiator, what fan are u using? is it coming on when the gauge start climbing at that point it should def be on

Those Temps are wayyyy to hot. You need a real temp gauge but i am certain that is way to hot to be driving. FActory gauges suck... I use my Hondata to see a digital readout and from 180-210 the gauge does not move till after 210ish. You are in the 230 range maybe higher at that point. That is wayyyy to hot. YOu are going to run into more serious problems driving it that high
Old 12-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Check to see if your heat is hot or not. If it is cold then theres air in the system or a circulation problem.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your not bleeding it correctly or you have a leak if you start driving it and then have to add more coolant. Once you get that figured out I bet your going to have a problem getting airflow through that radiator at higher speeds.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think this is my new favorite forum, wow so many responses thanks. Im gonna try and answer all questions asked forgive me if I miss some.....

I have an electric slim fan dont know what brand, and my rad is a no name half size, I dont have room for 2 fans, the car is tuned and i have an s300, when i turn the heater on it does get hot, here is a pic of the intercooler so you can see the size of it, im going to work on it now, new thermostat, dont have a bleeder gonna try the slant fill and squeeze air out(if it gets hot after i will get a bleeder) also need to replace the axle, put on my turbo filter and put on my suspension finally, might be awhile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62032926@N07/6310832974/
Old 12-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont need to squeeze the damn hoses broo... you might be pushing air in instead of fixing your issue.

Idk but in my car i have the slim fan the way you have it BUT infront of the radiator. it sucks sooo much hot air out Plus your not gonna be blowing that hot air back under the hood! give it a try if nothing else works.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you do not want to push air out the front, that's dumb.

you said no leaks, but are you losing any or overflow getting filled up?

Quick Reply: Car runs soo hot