Notices

Toda VTEC Killer cas

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toda VTEC Killer cas

can someone chime in on how worth it these cams are, i really love the idle and lift noise but i am not knowledgable on how they work, i get that they eliminate VTEC but have also heard that they just run VTEC throughout the power band versus actually eliminateing it completley. Any help would be great and if it worked out they would be used on a ITR motor 97 spec, with turbo. thanks
Old 07-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Toda VTEC Killer cas

it comes with a new assembly that removes the lost motion device and the rocker arm in the center w/pin that engages secondary lobe. only operating on one lobe profile and different rockers through out like you said. i'm sure the all motor forum would talk more about it then this forum.

it's been a long time since i looked into it

Last edited by jasoncrashtech; 07-10-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:27 PM

but is it worth it to run them with a turbo or just better to run a differnet cam all together, it would be different to have them but i want the pros and cons of the set up. thanks again
Old 07-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By running the VTEC killers, you are downgrading back to one cam profile... There is no gain except for better high RPM durability (lesser abuse on valve train), or if you plan to take the valvetrain past 9000+ RPM for prolong periods of time say during an endurance race.

By running one huge cam profile, even if the cam specs are suitable for your given turbo setup, there is no gain assosciated from running the big cam all the time compared to a traditional VTEC cam with the same big cam profile. All you will lose is low-mid RPM power and torque and tons of unuseable overlap since the turbo can't build boost at lower RPM. The turbo will spool slower, respond slower, thus, you get a really shitty lower RPM band, and also very hard to tune due to lack of engine vacuum and proper signal from the MAP sensor.

All that for a cool idle sound? Might as well go weld up block off plates on one your intake and exhaust valve for each cylinder and make it into a 8-valve Honda engine. Now you will sound even cooler, almost like half a smallblock V8.