Notices

Cabletie's B16A2 Mitsubishi 16G6 Turbo Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabletie's B16A2 Mitsubishi 16G6 Turbo Project Build

Hi guys! I wanna start a new project with my b16a2 engine on my honda civic eg6.

I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum....so please do not kill me

Actually the engine is still stock, and I opened this thread to put down a list of things to do with your help!

my goal is a 300hp daily driven.

I wanna do things right, with good components and with no hurry.

Initially I was thinking to put an easy kit on it, like an e-bay one, and then little by little upgrade it, but as far as I read here, it is like a russian rulet...

so what are your suggestion about this?

(sorry for languare errors)

Last edited by Cabletie; 12-10-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default re: Cabletie's B16A2 Mitsubishi 16G6 Turbo Project Build

Keep reading the FAQs at the top of the forum for information. There are literally hundreds of combinations to choose from. There is no "best" parts, only what's best for you.. But you're right to stay away from E-bay.

Because you are in Italy, it will be difficult to determine your mechanical ability, your resources for install and tuning and what you plan to do with the car , besides be on the street. So knowing if you want to keep Air conditioning or powersteering will help in deciding what's best for you.

We also don't know your emissions or other laws regarding exhaust systems, dumptubes (aka "screamer pipes") or other small things that may make a difference, so you'll need to factor that in.

In addition, 99% of the parts that we use here are easily obtainable in the U.S. We don't know about your VATs or other duties where you are, so factor that into your budget if you plan to ship from America.

Lastly, BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER. Simply because you see a car capable of 600hp staying on low boost for only 300hp doesn't mean they will drive the same. We know you only want to do this once, but getting the largest turbo around or some turbo off of a factory car rarely helps. Just be ready for it.

Start looking at similar setups to what you'd like to see , and don't be afraid to show examples from pictures or videos.

Good luck, and happy searching..

Last edited by TheShodan; 06-26-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, to reply in order at your points:

I'm a mechanic, there is no problem at all for insallation parts. I have tuned many two stroke engines for the italian championship (bikes), and according to this, meticulousness, respect of tolerances, and porting are my best skills. My only problem would be the tuning (ecu), but I know some good guys around here so this should not be something that will stop me.

regarding law restricions, they are quite strict, but just in theory (I'm in Italy man)... I just have to keep noise a bit down.... no problem at all for emissions.

Parts availability is a bit hard topic... a thing that in U.S. cost 400$ in Italy can go up to 800$ mainly because of shipment costs. According to this, I want to do thing with no rush....I can spent quite good money, but little by little.... unfotrunatley I cannot buy a 5000$ kit all in one shot.

Can you guys in the U.S. maybe, give an help about this issue?

I want to build a street engine, but surely it will run on the track sometimes... so tune and drivetrain would be crucial. I just want to keep powersteering without A/C

thanks for your intrest theshodan
Old 06-29-2014, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone? which turbo do you suggest for my goal? Since it will be for track use as well, should I go for something smaller than a t3/t4?
Old 06-29-2014, 07:19 AM

Were you able to check Google first to find out the type setups that was similar to the power level that you were looking for?

Were you able to find out that "t3/t4", is a relative term that can explain about 20 to 25 different types of turbo chargers? This is what I'm talking about. You need to be able to first look at setups that are very similar to what you are trying to achieve, and then we can help narrow down the types of parts and selections that you're looking for.

There is no "one size fits all" type of setup.

Give me a PM. I was helping a few people in both Australia and Barbados for a few of their setups in which they had the same issues as you had. Just be prepared to understand that you're going to be getting things bit by bit as you learn about turbochargers itself.

But first, check out the B16 turbo-charged thread. That will give you a hand in terms of narrowing your selection down.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm looking around, and I've sent you a pm. Thanks a lot
Old 06-29-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cabletie
I'm looking around, and I've sent you a pm. Thanks a lot
responded to you. gave you a breakdown of how "T3/T4" works.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After a couple of pm with theShodan (thanks again for your help),
I want to say that my goal is a 300whp. For track I mean circuit/road racing, and not drag racing. I'm sorry for the language misunderstanding.
In my opinion going up to 300whp has no sense at all according to what I'm aiming for...
Moreover, just to give a better frame of the engine, it has 125000 miles more or less.
I want to rebuild it but I have a question about rods. I've seen in the "b16 turbo setups" topic, that for my powergoal the majority of people uses stock rods. The question is : are they durable for road racing/circuit? Of course once I open the engine it will be better to put stronger aftermarket rods, but I have the possibility to buy NEW OEM rods at a very good price, so that's why I'm asking.....

About the Turbogharger, I'm still looking around in order to have better and clear ideas.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:20 AM

There's no point in taking the engine apart to put OEM rods back in. Compression / leakdown test, and tuning to determine how "durable" the car will be. at 250whp or 300whp, you're (on average) in pretty good shape, but not for circuit racing. for too long. There are other things you have to worry about other than power.

As for turbocharger, stay small. under 50lbs/min
Old 06-30-2014, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, that's what I was thinking... thanks again.
I want to completely rebuild it (complete head, bearings, rods, pistons etc..)
For the circuit use a good oil and a water radiator are a must. Where you referring to this when you said "there are other things you have to worry about other than power" ?
Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Track Advocate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here you referring to this when you said "there are other things you have to worry about other than power" ?

Seriously, more research, less questions.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:04 AM

Ok, that's what I was thinking... thanks again.
I want to completely rebuild it (complete head, bearings, rods, pistons etc..)
For the circuit use a good oil and a water radiator are a must. Where you referring to this when you said "there are other things you have to worry about other than power" ?
Considering the seriousness of his question...

Suspension
Brakes
Tyres
Chassis
Fluids
"Seat time"

Now its time for you to read , read read...
Old 06-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok I know this... but that's off topic. I thought you were referring to other engine parts related to the turbo setup....
I have a lot of experiences on circuit, even if it is not with cars, so please stop treating me like an idiot....
Old 06-30-2014, 04:10 PM

ok I know this... but that's off topic. I thought you were referring to other engine parts related to the turbo setup....
I have a lot of experiences on circuit, even if it is not with cars, so please stop treating me like an idiot....
No one is trying to do that. What you have to understand is that we don't know you or your driving experience or other experiences. You cannot assume that we understand your particular requirements and needs. It doesn't matter if you're from Italy, Iceland, or London; No one understands your needs more than you..

That means fortunately (or unfortunately,) it is up to you to be as clear as possible. If that means you take a step back, breath... get a thick skin, and realize that we get about 20 "setup" questions a week. So, as I stated.. the more your tell us, the more we can help... Its almost like a psychology session.

So please.. relax a bit. You're fine. don't get distracted.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I'm sorry, I overreacted. You guys have reason you do not know me.

I've found a topic here https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/%2A%2A%2Aforced-induction-forum-faq%2A%2A%2A-1024174/ with some good info from BlueShadow. (15 posts form the top more or less).
Based on these information I made this with a friend (still WIP) http://www.alphatesting.it/turbosize/index.html.

Other question is for this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT35-T3-Turbo-Charger-Anti-Surge-Oil-Water-Cooled-Civic-Integra-Fitting-/160869622333?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257493a23d&vxp=mtrThis product does not seems to be chinese. actually the vendor says that is developed in the U.S. Someone know something about it? (I'know that cheap stuff has poor quality, but that's not always true....)

Last edited by Cabletie; 07-01-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:01 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Garbage. You can't even buy the compressor cover for a real GT35r for $275, but on Ebay, you can get the entire turbo. This should make you VERY sketpical of it.

Here are a few real GT35r's for price comparison:
http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...82r-turbo.html
http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...oll-turbo.html

Secondly, that turbo is not even close to what you want for a road race/circuit setup...waaaay too big. Remember the "under 50lb/min" size TheShodan recommended..? This doesn't fall into that category (60+lb/min)
Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok got it.
I didn't see the lb/min, I jut picked it up as example to know the "quality" since they said that is not chinese.

Anyway thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:24 PM

ok got it.
I didn't see the lb/min, I jut picked it up as example to know the "quality" since they said that is not chinese.

Anyway thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind.
"developed" is not the same as actually produced by Garrett. Its just a change of words so that they won't get into trouble. its still garbage.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just for curiosity, how can last a thing like that? 10k miles?

Another point that I would like to cover is this one:
since I want to rebuild the engine, it is better to put low compression's pistons, or standart compression's with just thicker head gasket?
I'm talking about engine "durability" just to be clear.
I searched about it but with not very good results.

thanks to all.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:00 AM

No one knows.. because consistency of build quality is so bad, you may last 50k, or 5k.. that's why the smart person doesn't bother getting them.

Answer to your second question.. neither. We use aftermarket pistons and rods at stock compression or higher. "Low compression" for turbochargers are much more a thing of the past. If you go lower to allow your tuner some forgiveness in case he's not that good, than fine..either way, use stock head gasket.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:23 AM
Man U FTW

Ebay turbos have been known to blow seals on start-up...its a complete crap shoot. Personally, i wouldnt want anything that unreliable on my personal car, but then again, I hate fixing problems. If you're a former DSM owner, this might be right up your alley

As TheShodan already said, if you're looking to rebuild, there's no longer any reason to drop the compression below stock. If you have access to higher octane fuels, there is a lot to be gained by high comp + boost...search user 'Muckman' and read through his high comp (13.5:1) turbo build. Its beastly
Old 07-02-2014, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok! thanks a lot guys! This is all new for me! I didn't know about the stock compression or higher.... However I will use high octane fuel just for the circuit, but for daily drive our normal fuel SHOULD HAVE 98octane, but honestly I don't think we reach 95octane.
So I will take this into consideration as well.

I'm going right now to read the high comp. build of "muckman".

sorry I used the search tool but is not showing any thread about muckman, can you post a link please? thanks a lot
Old 07-02-2014, 06:17 AM
Man U FTW

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/muckman%92s-integra-high-compression-super-build-3086196/
Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 AM

Use Google to search with Honda-tech.com as the site to check. Using the IB search function has a lot to be desired.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi guys, What do you think about this garrett? gt1752s
I found a remanufactured one for a good price. It is of a Saab, but i cannot found any specs about it. Can someone help me? Could be a good one for my 250/300hp daily use/road racing goal?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Cabletie's B16A2 Mitsubishi 16G6 Turbo Project Build