Notices

Burning oil smell-good compression, no leaks, everything seems fine...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burning oil smell-good compression, no leaks, everything seems fine...

I hate the smell of burning oil. Even the faintest smell makes me feel like I'm driving a piece of ****. My engine compartment is spotless. There was some seepage around the oil pan and my mechanics replaced the gasket and sealed it up for me. I thought this would solve the problem, but then I noticed some dripping underneath my car. I jacked the car up and the drain plug bolt was finger tight! I tightened it up, cleaned everything with degreaser and still have the smell after a week. I replaced the dipstick. It still smells. I can smell it through the vents sometimes. There is no visible sign of oil anywhere, no smoke from the exhaust.

I recently had a type r intake manifold installed and had a chance to look at my old B16A manifold and there was oil residue inside the intake runners. I'm starting to think that the PCV system is where the smell is coming from. What do you guys think?
Old 06-25-2003, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Burning oil smell-good compression, no leaks, everything seems fine... (The Dude)

How old is your PCV valve?
Old 06-25-2003, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Burning oil smell-good compression, no leaks, everything seems fine... (Farnsrocket)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Farnsrocket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How old is your PCV valve?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Almost 4 years old and has 46,600 miles on it
Old 06-26-2003, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Burning oil smell-good compression, no leaks, everything seems fine... (The Dude)

Might want to replace that............I am not sure when you are supposed to do it for service.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Burning oil smell-good compression, no leaks, everything seems fine... (Farnsrocket)

I think I'm going to just drill the thing out, then when inspection comes around, just buy a new one! You have a barbed fitting jbwelded on your canister. If I drill out the existing pcv, wouldn't this be easier, yet the same thing?
Old 06-26-2003, 05:38 PM

Yeah, that would work. Kinda hard to drill it out without destroying it.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Farnsrocket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, that would work. Kinda hard to drill it out without destroying it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? I didn't know that. I believe it was JT or somebody that said you can just open them up. Did you try doing this or something?

I decided against doing an open loop setup. Right now I have the Cusco inbetween the valve cover and the intake before the turbo. Since I don't get any oil accumulating in the can itself, and only a little bit in the hose, I decided to just use a Purolater fuel filter #F23170 (about $3) instead. I'm hoping I can open up the pcv without destroying it, then run the catch can between the disabled pcv and the intake. What do you think?
Old 06-26-2003, 06:29 PM

a pcv valve is only like 3 dollars, just replace it if the valve does not rattle when you shake it.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Burning oil smell-good compression, no leaks, everything seems fine... (lazerus)

My car is boosted and the pcv closes during boost, so I want to either replace it with a hollow fitting or drill it out.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:15 AM

I am sure you can hollow it out with a Dremel. There is just that metal valve and spring in there and it was just hard to get that suff to come out without hurting the plastic body of the pcv valve. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2003, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you try this without any luck? I checked the "Help" section at Pep Boys and couldn't find anything which could just snap in there. For the time being, I put a fuel filter inline, but the vacuum on the manifold is so strong that it's sucking the thin plastic inward and crushing the filter slightly.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:46 AM

It can be done, just a real hassle. Plus, I wanted a bigger hole that the pcv valve since it was not sucking anymore.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:30 AM
JT

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Dude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Really? I didn't know that. I believe it was JT or somebody that said you can just open them up. Did you try doing this or something?

I decided against doing an open loop setup. Right now I have the Cusco inbetween the valve cover and the intake before the turbo. Since I don't get any oil accumulating in the can itself, and only a little bit in the hose, I decided to just use a Purolater fuel filter #F23170 (about $3) instead. I'm hoping I can open up the pcv without destroying it, then run the catch can between the disabled pcv and the intake. What do you think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can't drill out the pcv valve and keep the closed loop setup. The pcv valve is like a controlled vacuum leak. If you drill it out in closed loop, then you will have the symtoms of a vacuum leak. You have two options.

1. Drill pcv valve or replace it with a barb fitting and do open setup.
2. Keep pcv valve and do closed loop setup.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Burning oil smell-good compression, no leaks, everything seems fine... (JT)

Once I thought about this, it didn't make any sense to run closed loop without the PCV. I tried a couple different models of fuel filters between the pcv and intake manifold, but I think it's too much restriction. I put my Cusco looped from the pcv to the manifold, but the Home Depot hose ended up collapsing. I hope this didn't do any damage! Right now the Cusco is hooked up to the valve cover, and the only fuel filter that didn't collapse under vacuum is after the pcv. I did some searching and there's a company called Campbell Hausfeld who sell air tool supplies. Anyway, some people are using their mini filter ($12 at Wal Mart) inline where I now have a fuel filter.

http://www.jackssmallengines.c....html

When I went to Wal Mart, they also had a larger model with a better drain feature for $20.

http://www.jackssmallengines.c....html

This will definitely not restrict flow like the fuel filters, and the canister is clear. There is a warning sticker on there to not use it with synthetic oils, etc. but so does the mini filter and several people have done this with no problems. It accepts 3/8 NPT fittings, and the mini filter takes 1/4 NPT. I have no clue where I'm going to mount this thing, but they're both nice for the money.