Notices

breaking axles or tranny's?

Old 05-20-2003, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaking axles or tranny's?

i have some questions for people out there with more knowledge. i have a 2000 civic si. i just got done putting a drag 3 turbo kit. inline pro headgasket and inline pro cam gear to lower compression so i can run on a higher psi with stock internals. although currently i am running 6lbs im driving down to inline pro in virgina so i can get it tuned and run on 12LBS safely. but my question is about axles and tranny's. i put the competition enginering traction bars on my car and poly urethane motor mounts but im still worried about breaking my tranny and possibly the axles? i have already been told that my axles are strong enough to hold well over the horsepower i currently have. does anybody have any recomendations for not breaking axles or messing up my tranny? i get a bit of a shutter when i take off in first gear, not launching etc. just daily driving. im not sure what the noise is? but i dont think its clutch chatter? does this noise have anything to do with my act heavy duty clutch? (4 puck) also i was wondering about my wheels? i have 17 inch excel shu's from wheelmax.com they have kumho 205 40 17's on them now, im not sure how much they weigh but im sure they are quite heavy? i was also told that a heavy wheel can cause an axle to snap especially when drag racing and launching? additionally i was told that if i get a lighter wheel i can have the possiblilty of breaking my tranny because of tire spin and gears stripping? would an LSD help this problem? my major concern is my wheels, either i break the tranny or the axles in theory, so i dont know what to do? thank you for your time
Old 05-20-2003, 09:51 AM

Default Re: breaking axles or tranny's? (2000turbosi)

well here is a tid bit of info I was na on a b16a in my hatchback I broke my intermediate shaft off in the axle hub on the drivers side and spun all the teeth on the passenger side axle I wqill psot pics soon I think that it is amazing. Wheel hop is a mothafucka be scared of wheel hop LSD is a very good thing but we all just dont have the money for that. dont lower your car because too much camber will never help. I f your cluth is new and it is a act you are gonna ride like that because thoose things are monsters meant for power. I couldnt really tell you it could be your throw bearing also, butr probably not, just watch out for wheel hop and get autozone axles cheap as **** and lifetime warrenty I broke my new ones a week ago, and Now Im getting a ls tranny put in to i build my b16 tranny and put lsd in it.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:55 AM

Default Re: breaking axles or tranny's? (BoostedsiR)

Bump
Old 05-20-2003, 11:10 AM

Default Re: breaking axles or tranny's? (BoostedsiR)

well, i have broken both......several times. The tranny is quite strong even though they don't look it. The only thing i have ever brocken in a tranny is the diff. I have had bearings go bad, but thats not the end of the world. The horsepower you have is not going to hurt your tranny. The only thing that has broken my trannys is nasty one wheel burnouts..(open diffs ) and that is hell on the spider gear and pin and mine have simply shat themselfs in the case. As for the wheels, the heavier ones are not the greatest on things but consider the amount of traction you have, the hardest you can shock load the tranny is just before you break traction, and on radials that is not that hard. Just think how hard people are launching on stock axles with slicks. That is a 100 times more load. Now, as for the axles, they also take a fair amount of abuse. I had over 100 passes on one set with my all motor zc back in the day, with a centerforce dual friction and 6x20x14 mickeys, then i went to a CM stage 4 and 8" slicks and guess what, axle went snap. As long as you have some slip between the flywheel and the pavement, stuff will last a lot longer. and my axles have always snapped at the outer hub splines, they just twist and snap. I love NAPA reman axles though, lifetime warrenty... . Anyway, you stuff will last as long as you dont have a MASSIVE clutch and huge slicks. Even with a mild clutch and tire setup, stay away from severe wheel hop, that just wreeks havvok on driveline...

Anyway, I have broken enough crap over the years and i thought i would share my $.02

Brett...the guy who never posts
Old 05-20-2003, 11:16 AM

Default Re: breaking axles or tranny's? (yellowhonda88)

yeah my diff went on the second time I hope that the ls tranny that I put in doesnt slow me down to much