Notices

Intercooler question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler question

Ok, so I bought some intercooler piping from a friend when doing my motor and everything. It is JDM Sport piping and it is for a 96-00 Civic, but it doesn't have a place to put a B.O.V? what would be the best suggestion for this? Would it be best to buy an adapter and everything or what? I have the black JDM Sport piping and would like to find an adapter to match the color of the rest of the piping.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Intercooler question

weld a flange to bolt or clamp a bov on.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How hard would that be to do? As in I am sure I would have to cut a hole in the piping, and am unsure how to do that. The last turbo car that I had, it had the flange already on the piping, so this is new for me to do.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get a uni-bit and drill a hole, then get a pair of metal snips and cut out the hole to the size u need. weld on flange. its that easy.

Quit buying anything that has JDM in the description.
99% of the time, its garbage.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
get a uni-bit and drill a hole, then get a pair of metal snips and cut out the hole to the size u need. weld on flange. its that easy.

Quit buying anything that has JDM in the description.
99% of the time, its garbage.

Thanks for the help.

As stated in my desciption I bought this piping from my friend while we were building my motor and it is the ONLY thing that was bought for my car that says anything about JDM on it..
Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tin snips to cut out a hole? The hell? Ever heard of a hole saw? LOL.

You will not be able to match the piping. The "black" needs to be ground off in order for the weld to be placed. You will need to get the flange designed for your BOV in the metal that the piping is made out of. (Most likely aluminum, if you're not sure put a magnet on it. If it falls off it's aluminum).

From there make a mark where you would like your flange to be welded and take the pipe and the flange to your local fabrication shop. Doesn't have to be Honda specific, before I bought my welder I had a guy who did lowriders do all of my welding. They will have all of the tools necessary to do a neat job for you, and it should only cost about $20.

From there you can either spray paint the piping black again or have it powdercoated, whatever you'd like to do.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SovXietday
Tin snips to cut out a hole? The hell? Ever heard of a hole saw? LOL.

You will not be able to match the piping. The "black" needs to be ground off in order for the weld to be placed. You will need to get the flange designed for your BOV in the metal that the piping is made out of. (Most likely aluminum, if you're not sure put a magnet on it. If it falls off it's aluminum).

From there make a mark where you would like your flange to be welded and take the pipe and the flange to your local fabrication shop. Doesn't have to be Honda specific, before I bought my welder I had a guy who did lowriders do all of my welding. They will have all of the tools necessary to do a neat job for you, and it should only cost about $20.

From there you can either spray paint the piping black again or have it powdercoated, whatever you'd like to do.
This is actually something I didn't even think about.. it is aluminum, so I will have to find someone who can weld aluminum. But I will end up having it powdercoated back to black. Will look good black piping with my bright orange valve cover.. I appreciate everything.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You could just rough up the surface of the piping and use a two part paint process to save money on the powder coating. It will probably cost you around 50 to get the welding done. You should get it tig welded on. Look for a good welding shop. Most shops don't do aluminum welding.