Notices

1993 Del Sol Si build thread...quickie build for spring underway..LS/vtec, custom turbo setup, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1993 Del Sol Si build thread...quickie build for spring underway..LS/vtec, custom turbo setup, etc.

Well, I did have this in another forum...I should've probably stuck it here to begin with honestly. I don't post topics too often though, just answer peoples problems so give me a break if you don't mind. On to the project at hand.

Bought this car last month for 1300 bucks:

1993 Del Sol Si

LS/vtec with a blown headgasket (Ls tranny, B16 head, B18a bottom end)
ARP headstuds
ACT clutch
Rota Grids and tires both 3 months old
Skunk2 coilovers
Skunk2 rear section with a GHETTO modified RSR midsection (mig welded stainless...HORRIBLE WELDS EVERYWHERE)
New gen VAFC (black unit...for sale by the way)
Chipped P28
Energy suspension this and that....

Now some pics:

So basically I am gonna do a bottom end rebuild IN CAR (quick hone, rering, new acl rod bearings). I'll then put the ls/vtec back together, and actually use dowel pins unlike the dudes that built it last time. I am then gonna put together a turbo setup using a 57 trim t04e and just roll this thing like this til next fall.

So far I got the car in the garage, got the bottom end disassembled, got the head cleaned at the machine shop so I can start doing my head porting job, and just finished tacking up the manifold I made for the motor.

Some manifold pics as of today Jan. 3, 2007. Just have to weld it up, add the turbo flange, and cut the wastegate hole, then weld that on.

Horribly blurry pics of the collector. This was a mess up collector I made that came up shorter than 4 inches by a tad. Instead of junkin it I figured I'd use it on my own stuff. All ported inside though...nice and smooth ready to resist carbon buildup and flow away.

I'll be obviously building, fabbing everything, and doing the wideband street tune myself. I'll document it all here as I get it done. I am not Mr. moneybags livin with my momma, but hopefully this won't take three months to get done. I have my Accord to finish also and get up for sale so...have to split my time with that, work, and making a couple things for other people.

Project underway though

UPDATE....FINALLY!!!

CLIFFS on what happened after purchasing this car:

Worked full time for Police Dept, got second job for money, me and several other officers got into conflict with the Mayor, I got fired without reason, I got an attorney, ended up with two, court hearings have come and gone...one next week. Now I have a bunch of time...time to finish the Del Sol.

Plans have changed from what was written above. First off, upon being fired I didn't have money for a new 57trim like I'd hoped. Then all of a sudden I got a deal on a GT3071R. I then got:

Greddy Type S bov used
Tial 38mm gate used
Cometic HG
ARP headstuds and rod bolts
Bolts installed, big ends resized
ACL race bearings
AEBS Intake Manifold
Hondata Intake gasket

Still need a couple more things...but I'm close despite funding a legal war.

Headwork: I finished the head. Didn't put a huge amount of effort into it. I know what's effective, and didn't want to be too aggressive. I mainly wanted to blend the chambers with minimal compression loss, then increase the intake to exhaust ratio. I really didn't do much to the intakes. For now I want to maintain streetable torque and out of boost performance, while just gaining some exhaust flow.

Almost thought I was gonna end up with a little T25 flanged 50 trim cause I was broke...but I swung buying a used GT30. T25 versus GT30 for reference

All this time building for others, all the times putting in hours of work, tuning, then handing over the keys I'm finally gonna swing another car for myself 3 years after selling my H22 hatch.

Build update May 20th

Manifold finished, just need to add the wastegate flange. Before anyone compliains about oil drainage (cause I know someone will want to), there is angle to it, and that fitting isn't in all the way anyway. On top of all that the ball bearing sip oil, so there isn't much to drain anyway. It's all good....mani looks lovely after sitting for several months unwelded

Modified by RC000E at 8:59 PM 5/31/2007
Old 01-04-2007, 12:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1993 Del Sol Si build thread...quickie build for spring underway..LS/vtec, custom turbo setup, e

g2fg mang. nice score and nice manifold ftw
Old 01-05-2007, 11:19 PM

Default Re: 1993 Del Sol Si build thread...quickie build for spring underway..LS/vtec, custom turbo setup, e

The mani looks really good so far and your plans sound good! Keep us updated!
Old 01-06-2007, 03:24 AM

Hot manifold.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yo...Pittsburgh...what you drive bro? A fiero...a DSM? Keep me in mind if you or anyone you know every needs a mani, Crome tuning, chipping, etc. I got a big buy in on swaps too...get them shipped cheap to my house. Always up to meet locals bro.

Thanks for the compliment on the mani. It's the first time I made this style...I like it myself.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:11 AM
LDS

The car cover/tent looking thing in front of your del sol, where did you get it and how much was it. That would be perfect for me.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your manifold look cool but wont your turbo sit kinda low makeing it difficult to run a good oil return line?
Old 01-06-2007, 01:01 PM

that manifold is tight as ****
Old 01-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (katoeh2o)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by katoeh2o &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your manifold look cool but wont your turbo sit kinda low makeing it difficult to run a good oil return line?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah man...I didn't build it blind. I took measurements and used another turbo to check my heights. It's definitely high enough for the oil drain to not be any kind of problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Clunkin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that manifold is tight as ****</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks man
Old 01-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LDS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LDS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The car cover/tent looking thing in front of your del sol, where did you get it and how much was it. That would be perfect for me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bought it from Harbor Freight. They have a retail store right down the street from me. It was on sale for 159.00 down from 299.00. It's actually really solid, even in higher speed winds and rain. It's a little tight width wise, but honestly if you had this on concrete you could easily do swaps and work inside it. It's actually a really good buy, and the quality isn't bad at all.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:36 PM
LDS

Thanks. Some times sapce is limited for me to do my car work.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LDS)

That's certainly why I bought it

Butted it up against my garage and had an instant two car end to end...lol.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:25 AM

Default Re: (RC000E)

Dear RC,

All I can say is WOW, that manifold design really blow my mind!

Are you willing do fabricate an extra one?

Could you please communicate with me desseb51@hotmail.com

Thanks
Old 05-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wildGST)

Jeez...this thread was DEEP, and I wasn't gonna resurrect it just yet. I suppose I have to now.

First I'll explain the time frame here.

When I purchased this car I worked full time for a local Police dept. Well, upon purchase I needed some extra income, so I picked up a second job which was supposed to be an hour or so extra a night. Well, that turned to 5 hours a night, plus working at the Police station.

Well, for the next few months money was flowing like a river (only problem was when I wasn't working I was sleeping...that's all I did) and I was paying off debts...all kinds of stuff. The Police Dept. was typical bullshit, and there was controversy between several of us working there and the mayor. Well, it peaked on March 28th resulting in my being fired without reason. The mayor knew the boss at my other job and suddenly I found myself fired from there the next day as well! So now I have two attorneys, court next week, and all kinds of controversy. I also have TIME AGAIN.

So, in the aftermath of political war, I decided it was time to finish this thing. Plans changed a bit, but I'll be updating later today with pics and all, then adding it to the first post.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wildGST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dear RC,

All I can say is WOW, that manifold design really blow my mind!

Are you willing do fabricate an extra one?

Could you please communicate with me desseb51@hotmail.com

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Email sent
Old 05-27-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: (RC000E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Email sent</TD></TR></TABLE>

unfortunatly I didn't received your email. maybe it went in junk filtering??

I also have my cie email, sebastiend@tekled.com

thanks again
Old 06-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wildGST)

In for updates.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (misanthropist)

everything looks good. but why are you doing the rebuild in car. its so much easier to oull the motor and do it on a stand, that way you can really clean the oil passages and everything after the hone. not to mention you dont have to try to torque stuff upside down
Old 06-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CoreyR)

looks good
Old 06-15-2007, 03:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Before anyone compliains about oil drainage (cause I know someone will want to), there is angle to it, and that fitting isn't in all the way anyway. On top of all that the ball bearing sip oil, so there isn't much to drain anyway. It's all good....mani looks lovely after sitting for several months unwelded
[/i]</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by katoeh2o &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your manifold look cool but wont your turbo sit kinda low makeing it difficult to run a good oil return line?</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL
Old 06-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Updates are, I inventoried all the head parts because the head was disassembled by the guy I bought the car from. Well, in typical fashion...stuff was missing.

So yesterday I finally got in some parts from the dealer. I was missing three keepers, and a pin for one of the rockers. I then had an issue with the valve springs. I'm always good about keeping my **** organized on disassembly, so I've never noticed that b16 valvesprings were different heights on intake and exhaust. No time saving paint to identify them either....so I spent the day, and a thread in all motor trying to figure it out.

B16 exhaust on right, intake on left....

So, I've confirmed the taller springs go on the exhaust side. The exhausts use a slightly thicker wire for spring construction and are a higher rate spring since they have no inner to help them out.

While waiting for parts, I removed all the old valve seals, and installed the new Blue Viton high performance valve seals. Well, this might have opened a whole new sack of f*ckin horsesh*t. I bought these things from a seller on ebay. I bust these things opened and all white springs (silver if you prefer)...my point is, no black springs. So I'm thinking, wtf, no exhaust seals. So I email the guy and he gives me a "lol...I get that all the time". He says it doesn't matter. I say, well I mic'd the valve stems per the factory manual, and since their different diameters that's why you need different seals. So...be aware of this if anyone is tempted to buy these...you could get f*cked.

Anyway, he insists they'll be fine. I say b.s., but f*ck it, I'll run them and see for myself. The worst that can happen is I have to replace the exhausts. I made a tool to remove springs in-car (corey...haha...I'm all about in-car) so I can replace them pretty quickly if I need to.

Seals installed....oooohhh pretty blue...... hahaha

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoreyR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">everything looks good. but why are you doing the rebuild in car. its so much easier to oull the motor and do it on a stand, that way you can really clean the oil passages and everything after the hone. not to mention you dont have to try to torque stuff upside down </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, there was a couple reasons for this. One was my original budget...I was on a tight one, and knowing the motor just ran, I figured I'll just do acl rods, and have something to run for the summer.

Second, I only have one spare engine stand aside from the stands my mockup motors sit on for manifolds and what not, and I had a motor build already on it for a local guy....so that further backed up my "leave it in" thinking.

Honestly, in hindsight I should've yanked it out. It'd allow me to clean the bay better, and yes I totally prefer to build on a stand...torquing sh*t lying on a creeper sucks.

Like I said though....this motor will serve me til about October, then I'll be yanking it all for full chassis paint job, the sleeved block, my more aggressively ported GSR head I'll be doing, topmount, blah blah blah....basically the true build will happen this winter. The idea for this was quick and cheap....turned out not too quick, but still fairly cheap.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as long as you enjoy it, its worth the hassles.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ehhh...yeah, it'll be the first time I actually build something in a long while and don't just hand over keys. It doesn't bother you much at first, but after you sacrifice a long time, struggle to pay the bills, and build fun cars only to hand over the keys....it starts to really drag your *** down.

I did this one EK turbo setup last year....man was that car nice. Guy gave me some freedom...just wanted turbo...didn't demand specifics...mother footing the bil. I finished it, street tuned it, then called the dude....man it sucked seein it go. I was thinkin sh*t I need something, it's been too long. Dude was 19 years old, the parents just wanted him to have a "nice car".

Starts to turn the whole hobby to sh*t when you never have any for yourself I tell you that. So, no matter what trouble turns up...the day comes and I street tune this one...no turning over the keys...just keep on drivin boy

It'll be a good day.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i just finally finished my car. after doing setups for all my friends, and a few customers i got depressed driving around a slow all motor car and having nothing to play with that i can enjoy myself.

did you really pay only 1300 for an LSVTEC del sol?
Old 06-16-2007, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

aweosme
Old 06-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoreyR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
did you really pay only 1300 for an LSVTEC del sol?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, absolutely man. The dude I got it from, well me and him trade cars here and there. He's had two DA's of mine, and I've had a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX and now this from him.

He's pretty beat over the deal...he comes over and hangs out while I put the car together and he's like man I shouldn't have sold it.

Yeah, the deal was he bought it for 2,000 running, but smoking like a freight train. He tore it all apart, like you've read a bit, and then was like well.....time to sell. He was moving and he needed it out of his garage and it was in pieces.

Cars like this (built by noob's, or know nothin bastards) are always good buy opportunities, and generally I'll build them/wire them (whatever the issue may be) and resell them for profit, but like I've said, I'm tired of building and selling and/or building for others. I've had alot of fast cars, but I always sell them when I'm done, and never really go as far as I'd like with the chassis etc.

So yeah, 1300 bucks, has all the sh*t I listed, plus i just found the ACT flywheel last week. Car easily has 2000 in just aftermarket stuff, not even including the 2 yr old paint and clean no rust body.

It'll be alright

Modified by RC000E at 6:50 PM 6/30/2007

Quick Reply: 1993 Del Sol Si build thread...quickie build for spring underway..LS/vtec, custom turbo setup, etc.