Notices

I need a lot of guidance selecting a turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I need a lot of guidance selecting a turbo.

I'm dropping a z6 into my 96 Civic and I'm turboing on stock Internals. Before the z6 I had a y7 that was turbo with a Garret Tb2569 from a saab. I've been interested in a new, more reliable turbo for the build. I want something with good spool but also makes power to redline (I know I can't have it all). I emailed GoAutoWorks and they recommended the turbonetics C15. It looks like a great turbo but it seems absolutely massive for my intentions.

Likewise, I've been debating at the fact that maybe these tiny turbos I've had in mind wouldn't be too good for a stock bottom end, that low rpm boost might be detrimental, as well as the torque these things put out. I fear for the reliability of my Itty bitty rods.
​​​​​​
I've been considering a 14b as well as a 15g from a volvo as that wouldn't require a new downpipe to be fabbed. Regardless, fabbing a new downpipe wouldn't be the end of the world for me. I don't know if either of these turbos would be too small, I really only have my Saab turbo as a frame of reference and no other experience. Also, these are used turbos and I question the reliability of them.

Another turbo I was considering is the gt28rs, but it seems to be wildly expensive compared to the c15 or a Garret t3/t04e. Also the gt2860 and gt2871.

Stock z6
DSM bov
Ebay cast manifold and intercooler
DSM 450
Neptune RTP

My intentions are solely a daily driver with some autocross, being a daily comes first.
​​​​
​​​

​​​
Old 06-14-2020, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: I need a lot of guidance selecting a turbo.

I don't think I could recommend highly enough the importance of beefing up the bottom end (at minimum) first. Afterwards, GT2860 or GT2871 would be nice for what you want to do.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:10 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

I'll probably have a TNX 20/60 for sale soon. You can ask Greg what he thinks about that for your application, or you can look at my build thread.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I don't think I could recommend highly enough the importance of beefing up the bottom end (at minimum) first. Afterwards, GT2860 or GT2871 would be nice for what you want to do.
I know it's a good thing. But even for low power goals I was under the impression stock is fine.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:14 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spaceturtle917
I know it's a good thing. But even for low power goals I was under the impression stock is fine.
I think the general consensus is for D-series, ~200 whp is the safe limit for stock rods and pistons.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
I think the general consensus is for D-series, ~200 whp is the safe limit for stock rods and pistons.
Which is my power goal. It's a z6 and I've heard of people saying 230whp, that's pushing it in my books. However one of the reasons I'm so torn on a turbo is because of my stock engine. I want fast spool but I'm concerned that I'd be making too much torque on a small turbo for my stock bottom end.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:04 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

The C15 comes in a few different sizes...it's Turbonetics new line of turbos. You may be looking at the wrong size for what Greg is recommending for your car. I would recommend building your bottom end too, but if you're committed to keeping it stock, I'd say at least check your ring gaps and open them up if necessary. The stock rod bolts are weak, so don't plan on going over stock redline. If you run conservative timing and keep it around the 200 whp mark, I think your rods will be OK.

The TNX 20 I'm running right now is super responsive and the power band is nice and wide. I'm maxing it out on my setup at around 25 psi to make 316 whp, but you could run much less boost to keep the power down around where you need it to be for your setup.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
The TNX 20 I'm running right now is super responsive and the power band is nice and wide. I'm maxing it out on my setup at around 25 psi to make 316 whp, but you could run much less boost to keep the power down around where you need it to be for your setup.
Figure what, about 12psi from the TNX?
Old 06-15-2020, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One of the reasons I'm not building is because I'm out of time and money. I could definitely afford it, however I've been working on this power plant for too long and spent more money than I'd like. I'm not in a honda to go fast, i just didn't want the stock 106bhp. I'm ready to move onto other things like more suspension, brake upgrades and the likes. One of the many reasons I whish I went gsr swap. The turbo noise and torque are definetly better though, as well as 200whp being much faster than a GSR swap. I digress.

I'm willing to consider the c15 but I haven't really found any dyno graphs on it, especially with my setup. I would like to make boost around 2500 and hit full boost around 3500rpm. As well as to be right back in it after a shift. I'm sorry I really don't have a lot of experience with turbos to know what I like and what I want. I really appreciate the help from you guys.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:55 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Figure what, about 12psi from the TNX?
Honestly not sure. I'd just be guessing.

One of the reasons I'm not building is because I'm out of time and money. I could definitely afford it, however I've been working on this power plant for too long and spent more money than I'd like. I'm not in a honda to go fast, i just didn't want the stock 106bhp. I'm ready to move onto other things like more suspension, brake upgrades and the likes. One of the many reasons I whish I went gsr swap. The turbo noise and torque are definetly better though, as well as 200whp being much faster than a GSR swap. I digress.

I'm willing to consider the c15 but I haven't really found any dyno graphs on it, especially with my setup. I would like to make boost around 2500 and hit full boost around 3500rpm. As well as to be right back in it after a shift. I'm sorry I really don't have a lot of experience with turbos to know what I like and what I want. I really appreciate the help from you guys.
I feel ya man, it's easy to get discouraged with how much time and money these cars can consume. I'd imagine Greg would be the right guy to put you on the right turbo.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Which is my power goal. It's a z6 and I've heard of people saying 230whp, that's pushing it in my books. However one of the reasons I'm so torn on a turbo is because of my stock engine. I want fast spool but I'm concerned that I'd be making too much torque on a small turbo for my stock bottom end.
C15 looks perfect because its turbine wheel heavy and that allways helps stock blocks. Get the .48 a/r and youre perfect.
An equal length manifold like a ramhorn is important too because it helps by making power on lower boost compared to a cast mani. You can do it on a a cast mani tho but that extra 20 hp with a proper manifold
will come without pushing the engine for that 20 extra hp...