Notices

Do I need uprated valve train??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need uprated valve train??

hi guys. I have a fully built sleeved block, GT30 shooting for 450-500hp. 8200 Rev limit.
Completely standard head. I know most will say it’s advisable to get uprated springs and retainers but is it really necessary?
Old 04-04-2018, 03:35 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: Do I need uprated valve train??

It is mainly for risk mitigation. It is not necessary in order to meet your power goal for that RPM, but if planning to push things hard and often you will stress everything more than you would on a normal daily driver. Valve train upgrades will also help protect your investment in the bottom end should something decide to fail.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
It is mainly for risk mitigation. It is not necessary in order to meet your power goal for that RPM, but if planning to push things hard and often you will stress everything more than you would on a normal daily driver. Valve train upgrades will also help protect your investment in the bottom end should something decide to fail.
Yeah. The car is going to get used properly, what im concerned about is valve float..Is it that common with stock cams and say 1.6bar boost?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by vtisturbo
hi guys. I have a fully built sleeved block, GT30 shooting for 450-500hp. 8200 Rev limit.
Completely standard head. I know most will say it’s advisable to get uprated springs and retainers but is it really necessary?
Yes. Get supertech 85lbs with whatever supertech retainer you like. You engine is probably b16 right?
B16 will need boost to reach 500 hp and boost presses the valve towards pistons more than N/A 8200 rpm.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No it’s a B18C4 sleeved to 2.0litre
Old 04-04-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

No it’s a B18C4 sleeved to 2.0litre
Using an upgraded valvetrain is always a good idea for a turbocharged application, even if you're just using stock camshafts and a lower RPM limit. at 1.6bar, that's a decent amount of boost pressure to use on a GT30(76R) to warrant the use of aftermarket valvetrain. As a matter of utility, it will take more than 8200rpms in order to make 500hp to the wheels. (if you're looking at 500bhp, that will require less boost pressure to obtain that power level on a sleeved B18C4. )

If you're a true 2.0 litre, that means that not only did you bore out to at least 84mm, but you've also increased your stroke to at least 89mm. (FYI if you didn't, you're not a 2.0 litre. You're actually still 1.9 litres in total displacement)

There are several companies that one can use other than Supertech in order to fit the bill, but as a matter of precaution, yes 85lbs seat pressure is best to use for upgraded valvetrain for turbocharger applications, in the event that in the future you do upgrade camshafts, you'll avoid valve float. There is Ferrea, Crower, Skunk2 and even some traditional Japanese companies (depending upon where you are) like Buddy Club, Toda Racing Ltd, and Jun Auto Mechanic, to help you with some decisions.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Using an upgraded valvetrain is always a good idea for a turbocharged application, even if you're just using stock camshafts and a lower RPM limit. at 1.6bar, that's a decent amount of boost pressure to use on a GT30(76R) to warrant the use of aftermarket valvetrain. As a matter of utility, it will take more than 8200rpms in order to make 500hp to the wheels. (if you're looking at 500bhp, that will require less boost pressure to obtain that power level on a sleeved B18C4. )

If you're a true 2.0 litre, that means that not only did you bore out to at least 84mm, but you've also increased your stroke to at least 89mm. (FYI if you didn't, you're not a 2.0 litre. You're actually still 1.9 litres in total displacement)

There are several companies that one can use other than Supertech in order to fit the bill, but as a matter of precaution, yes 85lbs seat pressure is best to use for upgraded valvetrain for turbocharger applications, in the event that in the future you do upgrade camshafts, you'll avoid valve float. There is Ferrea, Crower, Skunk2 and even some traditional Japanese companies (depending upon where you are) like Buddy Club, Toda Racing Ltd, and Jun Auto Mechanic, to help you with some decisions.
Thanks for the info. Yes it is 84mm and standard stroke so more like 1900 then. What is the standard seat pressure? So you recommend 85lbs for standard cams AND also for the future incase i decide on upgraded cams?
Thanks,
Old 04-04-2018, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, can anyone confirm that all aftermarket springs work with all aftermarket retainers??

I have bought BLOX Ti retainers and want to buy the 85lb Supertech springs. Will they work with each other?
Old 04-05-2018, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Also, can anyone confirm that all aftermarket springs work with all aftermarket retainers??

I have bought BLOX Ti retainers and want to buy the 85lb Supertech springs. Will they work with each other?
In some cases yes but in some cases like Ferrea, No. I'd suggest you contact Supertech and ask them if a OE profile retainer works or whether they utilize a different profile.
The Supertech 85 lb springs and retainers is a great all round spring that can accept many of the larger profile aftermarket cams, as long as you stay below 9500rpm. I ran them up to 9200 rpm with no problems.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I ended up buying the BLOX springs. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:06 AM

Leave that Blox alone. Stick with one company for both items. That way you can make sure that everything matches. don't get cheap on yourself by a couple of dollars to "see if they fit".
To answer your question, yes. Although you are using a very large turbo to make only 400whp (in which case the car will act like a light-switch for any control.. but that's another story) it can safely be done at 82mm. As a maximum bore. If you can still do 81.5mm bore, do so.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Leave that Blox alone. Stick with one company for both items. That way you can make sure that everything matches. don't get cheap on yourself by a couple of dollars to "see if they fit".
To answer your question, yes. Although you are using a very large turbo to make only 400whp (in which case the car will act like a light-switch for any control.. but that's another story) it can safely be done at 82mm. As a maximum bore. If you can still do 81.5mm bore, do so.
Think you've mixed up your threads here! FYI i stuck with blox for both.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:54 AM

Think you've mixed up your threads here! FYI i stuck with blox for both.
No. this was the right one. You only have 2 my friend. Hard to confuse. I just responded later than expected.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then let's combine them!.. I guess you made your decision. An interesting one, but at least it was a firm decision.
Someone was selling Blox retainers cheap near me so bought the springs to match. Im sure theyll be fine
Old 04-05-2018, 09:56 AM

Someone was selling Blox retainers cheap near me so bought the springs to match. Im sure theyll be fine
Okie dokie...