Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Using wrong wiring harness + ECU? Transmission related

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using wrong wiring harness + ECU? Transmission related

Not entirely sure this is the correct place to post, sorry if it's not.

So, the full story. A month ago my car, 2000 civic EX automatic, needed to be reinspected but I had a check engine light. I take it to auto zone to have the codes pulled. Had several codes with the problem of the transmission, lock up solenoid, bad TCC etc. We happen to know a guy with a transmission that let us have for fairly cheap, who also had a wiring harness and a ECU. (We knew the guy, so we didn't really expect to be screwed during this process.)

We put the transmission in, and it's jerking into gears, sluggish start off, with D4 light blinking. We take it to auto zone and pulled the following codes, p1753, p1298, p1768. Did all the research we could and the common problem seemed to be the TCM. So here's where the wiring harness and ECU come into play. The guy told us (who is known around here for good Honda work) he had the ECU and we could swap ECU's for free. We put the new ECU in, went to crank the car with no success to instantly smelling like we fried the ECU, so we pulled it out immediately. When we go to inspect the damage, we come to find out it is a 97 ECU, however there was no visible damage but clearly something wasn't right.

In the end, we figure this "friend" screwed us, he probably sold us a bad transmission, along with a non compatible ECU / wiring harness, we hope this isn't the case but, I guess we learn somehow to not take someone's word.

I could use all the help I could get. I'm ready to have my car back on the road.

Thanks.