Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Ultra rich tip in (Turbo Integra)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra rich tip in (Turbo Integra)

So from just cruising (15.xx AFR) to about 70 percent throttle, the car jumps to 11.xx AFR (not in boost yet). I think this is way too rich and I could tune that part of the fuel map but I was wondering how exactly should a car run in this situation.

I do understand that it should run a little richer but how much richer? 1 point? For example, if this throttle change ends up in a certain column that was tuned for 13.5 AFR, should tip in be tuned to end up at 12.5 AFR in that same column?
Old 09-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ultra rich tip in (Turbo Integra)

take a screenshot of your fuel/ignition map in 2d mode and I'll give you an idea what to change
Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tuned on low boost at the moment 10 psi

Old 09-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That map looks kinda like it was done quickly.

on your first photo the 2d lines that peak up is going to enrich the fuel mixture. The top most lines are your maximum boost lines whatever psi you are running.

on the 2nd photo the cells marked .5 and onto the right are your cells related to fueling in boost. which is where the turbo starts to kick in so the amount of fuel you need in that point could probably be reduced.

So the idea is a turbo car will have more fuel the more boost you are running.

Once I get home after work in about 7 hours I'll try and photoshop some fix, or you could email me your tune and I can recommend changes you make to the map, but do not use the map I provide, use it only as reference!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey there, had some time to make some changes
The first photo is a basic idea of NA area vs Boosted area

In the second photo the red areas are areas you want to decrease "subtract fuel" only to a point.

In the 3rd photo these are problem areas the very top dot at about 6k rpm is going to be at maximum boost at 6k and will quickly move to the 7k dot then the 8k dot on the very top line.

You want to decrease the blue areas in addition to the red areas.

Generally speaking if you tune for full throttle pulls then start doing part throttle pulls you can interpolate the areas in between very low boost and maximum boost.

Also in the 2nd photo the brown/orange area decrease the space between those lines either by selecting all of the red area and moving it down.

You really need to dyno your car and figure out what amount of ignition timing your engine likes and also what AF ratio to shoot for... cause right now your just kinda tuning blind.

feel free to call bullshit on any of my suggestions! I have only tuned NA before but have fiddled with my own engine about 3 years with neptune. so I'm pretty damn confident on how it all functions.

--Aaron
Attached Images    
Old 09-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You are right. It was done pretty quickly. Im not really done tuning the car yet, just trying to tune the low cam map before enabling vtec. Im trying to get the drivability smooth first. Ill send you the map once I get some more tuning done to it. It doesnt hurt have a second set of experienced eyes look it over Thanks alot man.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that point at about 500 rpm between the 1000 and 3000 rpm mark also looks bad too.

next part of the map to look at is the ignition timing... or the first part...

that part is a bit beyond me at this point, I have no idea what kinda ignition timing a turbo car runs.