Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Self Tuning / Management For Boost Help

Old 02-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self Tuning / Management For Boost Help

Hey guys,

I just finished installing my new Exedy clutch which was the precursor to the world of turbocharging my 98 EX 2.3. Mechanically I'm good to go, I've always done all my own work and have installed a supercharger system on a mustang I had years ago. My question comes to the management system(s). On the supercharger I simply ran an FMU and it worked. They certainly have their drawbacks but for a low boost application it worked fine at least for me. I know I could go that route but am really interested in all the tuning solutions I've been reading about, in particular converting my OBD2 to OBD1 with a programmable chip. I understand the basics here but am not sure everything you need to do this and any "unwanted" things that could happen to my car as it runs perfect with no issues currently and I would like to keep it that way. One of the reasons I like the FMU is because since I would rarely boost it and when I did it would be light and not for drag racing, etc. it seams like the simplest route to take on a 5psi build without deviating from the stock ecu that would control the car in normal driving 99.99% of the time. But I want to consider all my option, so I found this website the other day and it was the most useful in terms of explaining what is needed but then when I would click on them it would open up a lot of things you could buy and then I wasn't sure if I was missing something or not. I have tried to find a good tutorial of how to go about this process, step by step but can't find one, does one exist that someone could point me to? Here is the site I was looking at:

http://www.xenocron.com/install/Gett...U%20Tuning.htm

I basically says you need the computer, cable, laptop, a burner, and a wideband unit. When I started totaling up the links it seemed to be a lot more money then I have read on forums it should be so I'm thinking i'm missing part of the picture. Could someone walk me through the exact process of doing this when adding a turbo to an OBD2 car, or point me somewhere that would explain it? Thanks for any help.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:08 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Self Tuning / Management For Boost Help

You REALLY should be asking this in the Engine Management section. IF you did you would had found a user by the name of VegasInvasion that has probably the best FREE tuning guide there is. You can download it from a link in his signature. It is for CROME but the concepts can be applied to ALL EMS's.

Other than that, too much rambling and no real direct questions.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah I tried really, really hard not to hit the back button so heres a spoon full of info..

Chrome is a tuning software. Same as Neptune, hondata etc.

To run chrome you need a chip burning software. As you make changes to a tune you burn new chips. The chips are very cheap, the tools to burn a chip are not.

Hondata and neptune has its own board that goes in place of where the chip would go on the above software.. It can write over and over and you don't need to burn new chips. Its the best way to go if you are tuning the car yourself. Also can be connected directly to a laptop and datlog.

version 1 hondata systems are getting cheap. Can be found for maybe 350.00 or tree fiddy.

Tuning also requires a wide band sensor.

If you are trying to do this cheap, send your obd1 ecu to xenochron and have them set up the ecu to accept a chip. Then take the car (on a basemap) to a tuner you trust to do the rest of the tuning.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:11 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

(PPSSSSTT - it is CROME and not Chrome...)
Old 02-06-2014, 07:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

lol oops. I think I spelled xenocron wron too
Old 02-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thread moved to the Engine Management and Tuning forum.

you'll get answers and feedback that's much more helpful and detailed to help you figure out what you want to do

however if this is your first time tuning a boosted car then I suggest you let an experienced professional do it. watch him as he makes adjustments/retunes and ask questions if you don't understand something.

having no firsthand tuning experience could lead to you causing catastrophic and expensive engine damage.

either way the FMU and booster pump MUST go. the high fuel pressure the FMU creates is well known to cause injector damage and failure. a real engine management solution like a chipped p28/p/72 running crome, crome gold, Neptune, or any Hondata product(I don't feel your setup needs all of the functionality of the S300 as your setup is fairly mild and any chipped ecu software will be an ideal fit) is a much better option
Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the help, sorry about posting in the wrong section didn't even see it.

send your obd1 ecu to xenochron and have them set up the ecu to accept a chip. Then take the car (on a basemap) to a tuner you trust to do the rest of the tuning.
This seems like an excellent idea. So I wouldn't have to have anything but the chipped ecu and then just plug it in?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep. manual in my sig.