Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

HELP! 2001 lude SH intermittent shuts down while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 2001 lude SH intermittent shuts down while driving.

Hello all, I have a 2001 Prelude SH (mild mods; intake headers, exhaust) with 137K miles on it. I recently cleaned EGR ports and valve. It has shut down on me 2 times while driving it within the last week (one time when I came to a stop had it neutral and the other when I was in gear going about 30 mph), I do notice the green key light flashing once it shuts off and key is still in ignition and all the power (head and dash lights, stereo stays on) No engine code (except ATTS code is on) I have cranked it a few times immediately after and it dies. I have to wait maybe 5 minutes before it will crank and start and then I can drive off. I know there was a recall on ignition switch for 97 -through 99 ludes but I don’t see the 2001 models in this recall. It runs and idles smooth but has scare the **** out of me the when shut down. Any thought on what it could be? I have been searching on the forum and all over the web and everyone states it could be the ignition switch or main relay but its not a lude that was part of recal years. I am so confused.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! 2001 lude SH intermittent shuts down while driving.

Do you have a second key for the car? The reason I'm asking is because my 98 accord would do the same thing intermittently with one of the keys I have but it won't do it with the other. Mine would even do it at 80mph going down the interstate.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have to go with the Main Relay. It is a common problem that when the relay starts to get old. Although I have never really heard of it turning the car off. It is usually when you turn the car off it wont turn back on for a period of time after it cools off. I would also try the key thing as well.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Trial User

I have 3 keys for it (a Red key, orig wore out Honda black key, and the new non-Honda key) I got a key made for it about 4 months ago because my old black one was worn down and I could not pull it out of ignition.

Also, last night I did solder all joints on main relay and re-installed.. and today I get the ignitionswitch in the mail. 22.00 after shipping on rockauto.com |intalling it tomorrow and I will post my results.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Trial User

HELP!! I know this might not be the right forum but I just need help and I can't figure out how to start a thread or post anywhere else. I just started my account today just to ask this question in order to take immediate action. I just did an engine swap. It wasn't for performance reasons it was because my old engine went bad. I have a 2002 lx honda accord, I put a f20b with 30k miles in it because it was the cheapest engine I could find that would fit my car. This engine has cost me tons of money and time to swap. Finding parts has been the worst experience of my life. Recently I finally bought what was supposed to be the right ecu for my car. I put it in yesterday and I my car starts jerking and while it sits idling it surges at 1300k-1500k. Does that mean the ecu is bad? It never did that with the old ecu but I couldn't keep the old ecu in because it was meant for old sohc motor not the dohc f20b. The ebay member that sold it to me said it was a iacv code but like I said the car never did that with the old ecu. I know this is the wrong post to put this is but I was just wondering if anyone would have any answers. I think I should get my money back on the ecu and try a different one. Thanks