Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Lsvtec built. New wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsvtec built. New wastegate

I recently replaced my eBay pos wastegate with a tial 44mm MVR. I have to assume I need a retune. The car has been professionally tuned. Is there not anything I can do on my end to make any changes? I'm running Neptune. Running off wastegate spring. Boost source coming from turbo to wastegate. Car definitely doesn't feel the same since installing new tial.
​​
Old 01-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lsvtec built. New wastegate

Originally Posted by scnopiracer08
I recently replaced my eBay pos wastegate with a tial 44mm MVR. I have to assume I need a retune. The car has been professionally tuned. Is there not anything I can do on my end to make any changes? I'm running Neptune. Running off wastegate spring. Boost source coming from turbo to wastegate. Car definitely doesn't feel the same since installing new tial.
​​
car is also running a little leaner then before I replaced the wastegate.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:53 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

car is also running a little leaner then before I replaced the wastegate.
Yes, you need to retune completely. There's nothing you can do right now, but to keep the throttle lie until tune time. You keep messing around, you're going to "pop" the engine quickly.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Right. Really just wanted to make sure it wasn't something simple I could do on my end. Went through this before but did not have to tune last time. Figured I'd ask before I take the 3hr trip to my tuner. Thanks
Old 01-02-2017, 07:44 AM

Right. Really just wanted to make sure it wasn't something simple I could do on my end. Went through this before but did not have to tune last time. Figured I'd ask before I take the 3hr trip to my tuner. Thanks
This time you need to retune properly, because you weren't running that the boost pressures that you thought you were on the cheaper wastegate. That means that the fuel/trim tables aren't adjusted to the new "properly" installed wastegate. You don't have to start from absolute scratch, but, plan to spend a weekend going to your tuner.

That, or blow the engine..
Old 01-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ended up being my wideband was fucked up. Sent a log to my other laptop and figured that out. So I added some fuel and some boost (: went from 16-19 and I'm happy. Got the methanol working again as well. I do plan to out car on dyno next weekend just to have the piece of mind.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:21 PM

Nice. Since I only use widebands at dyno-time, I hadn't thought of that.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should not need a retune. If the Tune was bad from the start then yes you need to go through it all again.
You sure the gate is opening properly? A good tune will have a smooth transition through the entire X/Y Axis.
Either your gate is not working correctly or your map sensor or scaling is falling short. Or your Fuel Map has a nasty holeXD

If you had a good tune, you should never need a new one because you put on a new Gate. May operate in different areas of the maps which "SHOULD" be fine.

Just my opinion. By the sounds of it...I'd get it to a tuner asap.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ended up being my wideband was fucked up. Sent a log to my other laptop and figured that out.
Could you explain what exactly was fucked up about it, and how sending it to another laptop helped you find it...so that I, the uninitiated, might learn from what you discovered?
(trying to understand tuning) Thanks
Old 01-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My buddy uses Neptune like me. So I just sent a datalog to him. He was beside me with his laptop so we went over the log together. That's when I discovered my wideband wasn't reading right. just a quick easy idea that I wanted to try before I went and did tune. There were more variables to the whole situation as well. With the new gate and spring, I jumped from 16lbs to 20 lbs. And I'm on methanol. But I figured everything out pretty quickly. I'll be renting a dyno here in South Carolina this week and tune myself. Hopefully Gona hit 550-600. Last dyno I did was 440 on 93 pump with no methanol. I've added boost and the methanol so hopefully I'll achieve my goal!
Old 01-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

500+ would be very nice.
Did u replace the wide-band or calibrate it or what?
Any idea what caused the weird readings?