Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Car won't exceed 4K rpm need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't exceed 4K rpm need help!!! (Problem solved)

Ok, so to begin, a valve was bent on my built gsr motor, did everything needed to get it going again, but then a day after driving my car the thing just would not drive past 4K rpm, as if my two step kept activating. I'm running hondata on a p72, unsure of which version. Anywho, at first it threw a code after 10 min of driving, which turned out to be speed sensor related. I thought maybe the Hondata wasn't reading the speed of my car so it would activate while driving. I changed the speed sensor and plug, but it never corrected the problem. Cel never came back on but now I'm stuck, I have no clue what it could be. I'm assuming it's ecu related. I even took the tune out and re-uploaded and nothing. I looked around for any loose sensors and everything seems to be fine, is anyone else having this issue? Or experienced this issue before. I apologize if I missed anything in text, but anyone's help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Stylzon2; 02-15-2017 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car won't exceed 4K rpm need help!!!

have you checked if the ecu is leaking capacitors?
Old 01-26-2017, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shut off launch control settings. It's something to do with the speed sensor or it's wiring without a doubt. Make sure it's picking up vss in smanager and forget about the speedo on the cluster. The ecu needs to see vss, otherwise it activates the launch control settings.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a bad vtec soloined to me ive owned a few hondas over thr years that when they have a vtec issue it feels like 2 step and not allowing to rev to pass usually between 3k-4k rpms few thing to do before replacing anything check your oil level check oil cleanliness those are the first 2 things i do and usually its low oil level
Old 01-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so quick update took the car out and it didn't do it, after driving for about 15 min. Stopped turned the car off turned it back on and it started doing it again. I know nothing about the internal components of an ecu but I opened it up and everything look as it should. No melting, leaking, or burning of any sort. Also, oil level I good. My buddy and I tried disabling to launch control but the damn thing won't come off, we unchecked the box like 5 times. I found that kind of odd, also, I notice my 2step is set at 4200 rpm but the car while driving cuts out at 4K rpm, don't really know if that makes a difference. The next thing is hooking it up to a laptop, mine took a crap on me so I have to have a friend help me out. So unfortunately it on his time. I never really thought about the vtec solenoid. It makes sense, although wouldn't a faulty solenoid cause a cel? Thanks for all the replays guys, it's much appreciated.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I never really thought about the vtec solenoid. It makes sense, although wouldn't a faulty solenoid cause a cel?

Yea it should turn the CEL on but on my 2004 accord wouldnt shift pass 3k rpms i would turn the car off (while driving lol) and start it back up and be good to go with no CEL them one day getting in it to go 2 blocks away BAMM CEL came on for vtec solenoid i replaced it and was good to go and 1 more thing if you bought the car used sometims sneaky sammers will break the CEL bulb in there if you turn the key to tyre point all the dash lights come on look for the CEL believe it or not ive seen this happen about 30 times on a used car
Old 01-30-2017, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

Any CEL at all?
Old 01-31-2017, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
Any CEL at all?
No cel, however I did try a buddy's hondata ecu and the car ran just fine. so now I'm about 95% sure it's my ecu. Now the only thing I'm torn with is if it's just the ecu I have to replace or both ecu with the hondata board
Old 02-13-2017, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is your speed rear correctly on your cluster? sounds like a vss problem to me. pull the plug out the vss sensor. look at the wire connector. often times they get corroded.

if the ecu cannot pick up speed properly, it will think you are standing still and activating 2 step to launch. an easy way to test this is put youy 2step at 6k and see what happens then move it down to 2k. if your issues move with the 2step then you have a vss issue.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Problem fixed!!!!
Turned out that the ecu was on it way out. Just got a new ecu socketed for my hondata and haven't had a problem since. Thanks for everyone's input. It was much appreciated