Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Achieving smooth idle with IACV disabled.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Achieving smooth idle with IACV disabled.

I have disabled IACV error on crome, but I still get a fluctuating idle. My car has a 3 wire IACV, I dont want to convert it. I just want to find a disable it and get a smooth idle. How is it that IACV-less ITB setups achive this?
Old 03-20-2016, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Achieving smooth idle with IACV disabled.

what motor are you running?
and when you say the idle is fluctuating, what rpm range does it fluctuate between?
Old 03-20-2016, 09:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Manipulate the timing if you can
Old 03-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
what motor are you running?
and when you say the idle is fluctuating, what rpm range does it fluctuate between?
Motor is a y7 with a automatic y8 manifold, so it uses the 3 wire IACV. The idle either maintains at 2k rpms or fluctuates between 1k and 2500 rpms. It runs perfectly fine with the stock computer. It's a P2E, I'm using a chipped P72 with everything disabled including IACV error. Wouldn't the idle depend on the idle screw on the throttle body? Or is the IACV still a factor on the idle even if I disable the error?
Old 03-21-2016, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when the iacv is unplugged, it should remain closed. though it may be dirty and stuck open a little.
if it idles fine with the stock ecu, but idles high with the chipped p72, then you have the base timing in the chip set way too high. timing, fuel, and air volume all contribute to the idle rpm. and when it bounces, it's because it's idling up high enough to high fuel cut.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when the iacv is unplugged, it should remain closed. though it may be dirty and stuck open a little.
if it idles fine with the stock ecu, but idles high with the chipped p72, then you have the base timing in the chip set way too high. timing, fuel, and air volume all contribute to the idle rpm. and when it bounces, it's because it's idling up high enough to high fuel cut.
Crome sucks for me since I can't tune it in real time. I guess I'll just get a demon and tune it on neptune. I like the fact that I can do ignition cut only on neptune. That for me makes it a far better option than Hondata.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can do ignition cut only with hondata.
and when I said fuel cut, its a parameter in stock ecus and most modded ecusno matter what hardware/software you use, where it cuts fuel if you're at 0% throttle and over a certain rpm.

you should also probably check your distributor adjustment. if its too advanced it will have the same effect as the base timing in the map being too far advanced.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can do ignition cut only with hondata.
and when I said fuel cut, its a parameter in stock ecus and most modded ecusno matter what hardware/software you use, where it cuts fuel if you're at 0% throttle and over a certain rpm.

you should also probably check your distributor adjustment. if its too advanced it will have the same effect as the base timing in the map being too far advanced.
Most likely is the dizzy that's too advanced. Im going to adjust it with the timing gun.