Notices

Oil in the Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil in the Cylinders

just curious here, i put my turbo motor back together last week. 84.75x89 give or take. fired it up, ran it for 20 around 1800-2500 rpm up to temp, set distributor changed the oil etc. took it out on the low cam and off the gate about 8 psi for the first 50 miles. i noticed a bit of smoke and found some oil in the 1,3,4 cyls. i took out the 7 range plugs and put 6's in and set the boost cut to like 3 psi. about 100 miles of more moderate driving later the piston tops seem to be drying off. is it normal for any left over oil to sit in the cylinder that long before burning all off? i didnt think i put that much in but the motor was together for a while before i ran it so i know i did put maybe a cap worth down the plug hole and turned it over manually every few days.

with 75 miles i did the tests just to see. 205-210 psi and 6% leak across all 4, static should be right on 10:1, specs are a bit big its built for around 500 whp.
side note the swaintech coated skirts on my cp's are much quieter than when i had them uncoated with similar ptw.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:56 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: oil in the cylinders

Did you break the engine (seat rings) in or just drive it around?

Also, a cap of oil will take quite a while to burn off. I won't speculate on how many miles, just know in my experience your timeline doesn't seem far fetched; especially based off of the way it was driven.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil in the Cylinders

after initial startup, the motor was loaded up in boost up to like 5500 rpm on the low cam no knock and right at 12:1 for 8psi. it brought up my egt's to around 700c. id let it cool back off, and load it again a few miles down the road. i did this on the first oil change after startup just shy of 50 miles then brought it home for another oil change. i tried to not keep it at the same rpm and vary my throttle position during those 50 miles. after that i went into vtec, noticed it a bit lean and got some knocksense activity so got out of it right away and added some fuel. i did this maybe 3 times for some reason it needed a good 25% more fuel to get it from 12.7ish into the high 11's. by then it had 75 miles on it and i brought it home and did the comp and leakdown test with the above numbers since i saw some smoke out of the exhaust. catchcan was bone dry and just has a small, normal amount of condensation vapors from it

i guess thats what i got for break in on it....
Old 08-22-2015, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil in the Cylinders

Sounds like break in was fine. How many miles does the head have on it
Old 08-22-2015, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would of never thought Oil would stay in a firing cylinder for that long. Learn something new everyday, Kinda just always thought of it like when I would bring My bike out of winter storage, on first start up it would smoke for a min but I had put oil in the cyl. for winteriazation but when it cleared I thought that was it (4stroke streetbike). Probably comparing apples to peaches but a 2 stroke bike smokes constantly cuz oil is mixed with gas. I would be investigating more but if it was at first n now your tune is starting to come together n things are drying up n looking good I would speculate it was more just the initial break in n ring seal.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r
Sounds like break in was fine. How many miles does the head have on it
the head has maybe 5000 miles since it was machined last. i replaced the retainers while the motor was apart they were a bit old. none of the valve stems either intake or exhaust had any oil on them where they go up into the guides so i figured the seals were still good.

the biggest issue i have is that with some oil in the cylinders it degrades the octane increasing knock chances. i could care less if it smokes a bit. i now have 250 miles on it. cyls 1,2 are dry, 3 and 4 arent wet just look a bit "tacky" if you will. certainly more dry then a few days ago. i may change the oil again and try the high cam again tomorrow.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:48 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Well, I must elaborate on what I said earlier. The oil had to go somewhere, and there is a possibility some went into your exhaust where it doesn't have combustion temperatures to burn it off quickly like in the cylinder. So that could be why you are still seeing smoke. If it doesn't go away soon (say around 250 to 500 miles total on motor) then I would definitely start looking at other areas.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hypothetically speaking, if my turbine oil seal was bad and leaking oil, during engine braking could the vacuum in the cylinders pull oil through the manifold and back through the exhaust ports into the cylinder?
Old 08-23-2015, 12:41 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

I would feel comfortable in saying it would be physically impossible. Just my opinion though, but logically I don't see how it ever could in any situation.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok cool.

ill keep an eye on things over the next few hundred miles and see if it all clears up. ive got about 250 miles on it now. thanks for the help guys