Notices

can this block be salvaged???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can this block be salvaged???

A buddy gave me this d16y8 block for free. It's been sitting outside for god knows how long and they cylinder walls have rust on them. I wiped two of the cylinders out with some wd40 and ran my finger around them and I don't feel any pitting . It does turn over with some force. If it is usable what would I look to replace? It would of course need honed. I'm assuming probably pistons and rings. Maybe rods and bearings. Also what can I use to get some of the rust off before honing?
Attached Images     
Old 06-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: can this block be salvaged???

Pull the oil pan off and inspect the bearings and crankshaft.

If the crank shaft and bearing journals didn't see rust, you might be okay with just replacing the oil pump, buying oversized pistons and rings, boring and honing the block, replacing all the bearings and going from there.

The pistons run about 500 per set approximately. Then you have all the machine work of pressing off the old ones and then the new ones. Then bearings is a couple of hundred, then a bit over 50 bucks for Hasting rings. And however much for the boring and honing of the cylinders once you have the pistons in hand.

You can likely find a rebuilt or quality used engine for the amount it will cost you to bring that rusty block back to life.

This is also assuming the crank nor the rods rusted at all.

Simply, yes you could bring it back to life if you throw enough money at it. The question is, is it worth it to you for whatever your cost will be?
Old 06-07-2016, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I pulled the pan and everything look to be in great condition. I'm going to get it bored .020 and get some 75.5mm p2e pistons. I'm going to replace the bearings and put everything back together myself so that should save me some money
Old 07-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely usable parts ya got there, especially knowing the crank is good. An overbore will disappear that rust, and maybe shave a hair off the deck for a no hassle head gasket seal. I'd have the crank polished unless it was smooth as a baby's bottom haha. Honda bearings ftw.
No such thing as a good used engine in my book, never know what's been done to it until ya tear it down.
Just use a some pb blaster and scotch Brite if you're worried about the rust. The machine shop probably won't care.

Last edited by crxzrxguy; 07-10-2016 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Answer actual question
Old 07-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda Civic 1 6L V Tec SOHC D16Y5 D16Y8 Pistons Rings Combo Kit 1996 00 020" | eBay
I'm running these in my sohc ka in my pickup. My block machining guy said he uses em in lots of rebuilds with no issues. Been good for me 25k mi so far. Or ycp makes some good parts from what I hear, lots of options really. Cheap vitara pistons/ better rod combo's can be had all day every day for a fun low boost eBay turbo kit daily. Options are endless
Old 07-17-2016, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ended up buying a complete z6 that im going to use for now. That block will def be getting bored and built though. Probably put a z6 crank in it though
Old 07-19-2016, 05:10 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disassemble and get it thermoblasted. I picked up a 2.3 Lima (ford) longblock that had been sitting in a pole barn for 5+ years - it was caked in mud/oil and wasn't in great shape. Brought it to the machine shop in pieces and they cleaned it up like new again.

The rotating assembly will be fine - bearings, rings, belts, pumps, etc are all junk tho