Notices

Best and easiest way to clean the head and block after they've both been decked

Old 04-15-2016, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best and easiest way to clean the head and block after they've both been decked

I work at an extremely high precision machine shop, and I just decked both my block and my head to my B18B1.

I wasn't very thrilled that I had to take as much material as I did off of each of them to get them to clean up, but I had to take .0055" material off of the head and .0065" material off of the block.

Now that all is said and done, I'm wondering what the best and hopefully easiest way to clean the oil passages and galleys out to try to ensure that there's no material inside for when I'm done rebuilding the engine.

Thank you in advance!

- DJ
Old 04-16-2016, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best and easiest way to clean the head and block after they've both been decked

I've always just blew them out with an air gun, washed it with soap and water, then hit everywhere with the air gun again.

Just be sure to blow everything out well and then wipe down the cylinders, then wipe them down again with some wd-40.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best and easiest way to clean the head and block after they've both been decked

Originally Posted by Pro-SeriesFab
I've always just blew them out with an air gun, washed it with soap and water, then hit everywhere with the air gun again.

Just be sure to blow everything out well and then wipe down the cylinders, then wipe them down again with some wd-40.
Sounds easy enough to me. Do you think it would be beneficial and not harmful to maybe hit the passage ways and galleys with a pressure washer to try to blow everything out?
Old 04-16-2016, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GSR_ITR_BOIB
Sounds easy enough to me. Do you think it would be beneficial and not harmful to maybe hit the passage ways and galleys with a pressure washer to try to blow everything out?
Sounds good to me . . . if your pressure washer can deform aluminum and/or steel then you actually have a waterjet