Notices

Valve spring retainers

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve spring retainers

Hi Honda-tech, Well i over revved my d16y8 and it dropped an intake valve, well i got the new guide installed today, was getting ready to install the new valve and i noticed 2 or 3 other valves had a higher than normal spring height, looks like the keepers starting to sink into the retainer, i assume thats what happened the the valve that dropped first and im just wondering if anybody thats fimiliar with this problem can tell me if I ruined my retainer set or can i put new keepers in? Or what else should I do before reassembly?

Old 12-21-2016, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve spring retainers

Well it was the retainers, i threw stock ones in there now and hopefully itll be good. I thought titanium retainers was an upgrade but after not even 3,000 miles and seeing 8,500 rpm limiter not very often at all my keepers were sinking into the retainers, some of them were so hard to break loose i needed a cheater bar on the spring compressor
Old 12-23-2016, 04:32 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

What brand titanium retainers? If you bought them off ebay, very likely a knock off and not the real deal.

If you bought them from Supertech then there is a definite problem there.

I am skeptical you bought a reputable retainer set from a reputable supplier.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I actually bought the head complete, freshly cleaned, shaved, port n polished and assembled, with the fully built internals, So i have no way of knowing if they were legit parts, they do have the Brian Crower logo and part number on each one tho..
Old 01-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats pretty wild. Ive never seen that before. Id try and verify the retainers are indeed for the correct engine. Ive only seen stock retainers fail and they split in half. Titanium retainers shouldnt "sink" like that and to be honest, I dont really see how its possible unless the metallurgy is wrong. Im thinking theyre the wrong retainers. Try and find out what the installed height is supposed to be for the springs and your exact engine and compare it...Maybe contact the retainer company and see if they have any input..
Old 01-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

a lot of people are unaware that titanium retainers actually wear, at a much much faster rate than steel retainers. they do have a limited service life before needing replacement. steel retainers however, whether stock or aftermarket, seem to last forever
Old 01-06-2017, 08:51 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
a lot of people are unaware that titanium retainers actually wear, at a much much faster rate than steel retainers. they do have a limited service life before needing replacement. steel retainers however, whether stock or aftermarket, seem to last forever

^ This

Valvetrain is a wear item.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PyroProblem
Thats pretty wild. Ive never seen that before. Id try and verify the retainers are indeed for the correct engine. Ive only seen stock retainers fail and they split in half. Titanium retainers shouldnt "sink" like that and to be honest, I dont really see how its possible unless the metallurgy is wrong. Im thinking theyre the wrong retainers. Try and find out what the installed height is supposed to be for the springs and your exact engine and compare it...Maybe contact the retainer company and see if they have any input..
I am pretty sure they r the correct retainers, the ones that didnt sink had correct spring installed height, and the part number matches for d16y retainers, I wouldnt expect it to happen either but i used the same keepers with the stock retainers and it fixed the spring height issue

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
Originally Posted by 2LEM1
^ This

Valvetrain is a wear item.

Yeahh i remember hearing about how quickly they can wear out, i still wouldnt expect it to be so soon really. I dailied it for a few months, drove a lot for break in purposes but really 2500 miles probably at most, barely beat on it, didnt even have time to boost it and do what i wanted with the motor. I guess Ti retainers are for trailered racecars lol
Old 01-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 92_civic_eg
2500 miles probably at most, barely beat on it, didnt even have time to boost it and do what i wanted with the motor. I guess Ti retainers are for trailered racecars lol
2500 miles is definitely really low for a service life on name brand titanium retainers. their life does largely depend on average rpm too though. but from what you said it doesn't sound like it saw super high rpms all that often at all.

but yes, I do believe titanium retainers are for trailered racecars. I simply don't trust them in street cars for the average person. for the exact reason originally posted here. of course people do it all the time, and it does work fairly often; to me the pros to using them are very very minimal for anything on street tires, and definitely don't outweigh the cons/risk
Old 01-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dang, that is really low miles! I have used Portflow Ti retainers in my last build and they probably had 30-40k miles on them before I tore down the head for inspection. Didn't see any wear anywhere so I put them back in and ran them for probably another 10k miles before pulling the engine to go bigger...Ill probably end up replacing them this go around... Just to be safe...
Old 01-13-2017, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found this piece on another forum i read...

"Pop the retainers off of the springs and flip them over to see if any of the springs are chewing away at the retainers on the steps . Also check for burs at the bottom of the taper where the locks seat into the retainer ( signs of trying to pull through ) . Another thing to do is hold the retainer upside down , take a caliper and measure the I.D. at the bottom of the taper , these are made on a CNC machine and should be pretty close to damn nuts on from piece to piece , any variation is another sign of pulling through".