Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Quaife LSD car pulling left question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quaife LSD car pulling left question

Long story short I installed a quaife LSD into my ys1 tranny. Car drove completley straight for a month on the street. Go to the drag strip with some 24.5x9x13 slicks and it goes straight for two passes and now constantly pulls left when accelerating. I've changed inners outers uppers lowers along with every bushing on the car and also 2 brand new axles and yet the problem still persists. Happens on street tires and slicks. Did a burnout and right wheel spun while left wheel barely left a mark.

Talked to quaife and they said the LSD will either lock up or spin free when failing and not send unequal power.

I pulled the intermediate shaft yesterday and although there is some play in the intermediate bearing i can't see it being enough to cause this. Spins like butter. No vibration while driving

Wheel bearings feel tight and I can spin wheels by hand. No dragging calipers and when jacking the car up it pasts all of the usual tests. Both wheels in the air and they spin opposite. One when on ground and can't spin the other.

Rack bushings feel tight with no play.

After some research today I will check my rear mount to make sure it didn't snap. I'm out of ideas but want to cover all bases before pulling the tranny. Any ideas are much appreciated. Note that there Are no bad noises in the tranny the fluid looked good when drained and it was full.

Last edited by psychocarne; 06-03-2015 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Quaife LSD car pulling left question

Bump motor mounts solid as a rock..... Tranny is gonna come out unless anyone else has ideas
Old 06-04-2015, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

We've had two Quaife diffs start to bind on the internal gear, the symptoms of this then is to lose the LSD effect where only one wheel spins a la open diff.'

Have you checked that it is still functioning as a LSD, ie both wheels spin equally.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by psychocarne
Both wheels in the air and they spin opposite.
Shouldn't they spin the same way? I have been both open Diff and Quaife and went straight regardless.