Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

New Garrett GTX-R turbos look wicked

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Garrett GTX-R turbos look wicked

Originally Posted by miller
One other thing to take notice here is that this design is nothing new. There were alot of turbos in the past that had this type of design on the compressor wheels and for some reason they were fadded away. Why was this design fadded out and why bring it back?
Having 11 full length fins isn't new, but i think the actual comp wheel blade designs are new. I don't know if they're using bigger exducer diameters as well, but I guess they couldn't call it a 4294 if it didn't have a 94mm exducer.
I don't think they spend a lot of time on refining the turbine wheels, because the models they have now work well with engines bigger than what we use. Having only four cylinders affects how much exhaust gas we can flow through an engine to get the turbo moving. They could probably develop better performing exhaust wheels specifically for us pretty easily just like the comp wheels, but they would still be pretty difficult to make. I don't know if there would be enough demand to justify having them developed from a manufacturer standpoint.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hope the gr35r is getting some love pretty soon.. A compressor wheel that that will make the turbo puching a little more boost would be greate.. hoping fore just changeing the wheel and have it rebalanced and make it a 700-750 hp turbo..
Old 12-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Precision's 62mm billet wheel upgrade for the 35r is pretty badass.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are the exducer sizes?
Old 12-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 45r wheel has a few negatives to it that steer me away.
Same here.

Very badass!
Old 12-26-2009, 04:23 PM
OG Fabricator

Originally Posted by The sweed
hope the gr35r is getting some love pretty soon.. A compressor wheel that that will make the turbo puching a little more boost would be greate.. hoping fore just changeing the wheel and have it rebalanced and make it a 700-750 hp turbo..

Theres plenty of options for that right now! forced performance or precision and 750whp wont' be a problem.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That would be very cool.. never heard that you could upgrade a garret gt35r with a billet precision 62mm wheel.. Where is that available?? Can it realy be rebalanced too?

To bad I live in Sweden.. It costs alot to send the turbo to US for upgrade.. Is it possible to order the parts and have the conversion done at some turboshop over here?

Last edited by The sweed; 12-27-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If this is true that you can uppgrade a garret gt35r with a PTE billet presision wheel I would order a twin entry T04 gt35r with a 6262 compressor right away.. That would be the best gut damn turbo ever.. If the ballbearings can stand the side loads at higher boostlevels that is..
Old 12-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think precision will sell just a wheel seperate. I had asked a local shop (precision dealer) to get me one and they said no. They only sell them installled. Maybe they changed???

Adriano
Old 12-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Garrett wont be building the billet 35R for awhile unfortunately.

+1!

Originally Posted by MrParks
Same as the regular GT series, hence the name.

If this is true that you can uppgrade a garret gt35r with a PTE billet presision wheel I would order a twin entry T04 gt35r with a 6262 compressor right away.. That would be the best gut damn turbo ever.. If the ballbearings can stand the side loads at higher boostlevels that is..
Yeah, its true. I had it done awhile after the 6262 came out. Nice upgrade, worth the money. I would say just sell yours and buy a new 35R with the billet compressor. The cost of 2-way shipping isnt worthwhile, be nearly as much as the upgrade itself.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HTA Makes a billet 35R dont they?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
Yeah, its true. I had it done awhile after the 6262 came out. Nice upgrade, worth the money. I would say just sell yours and buy a new 35R with the billet compressor. The cost of 2-way shipping isnt worthwhile, be nearly as much as the upgrade itself.

Let me be the dudge of that.. Is there anyone that knows where it can be done?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am a precision dealer and I have done these types of upgrades many of times. Please pm me for information.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

our first GTX45 is on the shelf
Old 12-28-2009, 06:17 AM
rota92

Do you have pics of it? It must look great with the V-band housing too lol
Old 12-28-2009, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me be the dudge of that.. Is there anyone that knows where it can be done?
The upgrade is $6-700 last time I had it done. Precision is the ONLY place that will do the upgrade, they wont sell compressors alone. You will pay $2-400 for shipping, depending on the carrier.

Originally Posted by TiAL
Very nice!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TiAL
Right next to your lady gaga cd?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No its actually between the Prince CD and the collection of broken Synapse Gates... LOL
Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Enzo-Racing
Right next to your lady gaga cd?
you mean ladyboy gaga? LOL
Old 12-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TDautowerkes
No its actually between the Prince CD and the collection of broken Synapse Gates... LOL
it's the artist formerly known as!! ***!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by rota92
How much bigger is that than the big exhaust wheel on the 374? I can't change frame size too much due to the front crossmember but eventually the plan was to step into a larger frame down the road.
As previously stated, the GT45R turbine wheel is 87mm just as the larger BW wheel is for the S300 units.

One other thing to take notice here is that this design is nothing new. There were alot of turbos in the past that had this type of design on the compressor wheels and for some reason they were fadded away. Why was this design fadded out and why bring it back?
The reason that Garrett moved into the 11 blade / no splitter blade design on these units is that the OE's desire a quieter performance, and this is something that this style of wheel will provide. At the end of the day, the OEM contracts pay the bills and what they want, they get.

Originally Posted by Bugermass
I saw these at PRI. Your right, the majority of turbos back in the day were full bladed like this.. A full blade turbo traditionally was good for higher pressure at lower compressor speeds and had less total airflow range, this was good for steady state diesel stuff, but not as good for engines with a wide operating range. The turbo manufacturers went to the "Splitter Blade" because they found that leaving a gap between every other blade allowed the air to be grabbed by the blades more easily at higher compressor speeds increasing the usualble airflow range of the turbo. Aparently the old school fin designs were not good at grabbing inlet air at really high speeds and the split blade solved this issue. So it looks like from the new compressor maps posted by garrett that they have come up with a full blade design that is the best of both worlds. The new compressor maps show much higher pressure ratios and slightly more flow.

I also agree that there needs to be more focus on the turbine side.. There are so many compressor wheels available now as it is, and the turbine side is where our options are rather limited.. Personally I think that proper turbine design is much more important to the total performance of the turbo in a real world on engine situation.
There's a ton more to the comp. wheel than the blade count. The pitch and contour of the blades has changed, even the leading edge of the blades is different if you know what to look for. That coupled with an aggressive extended exducer blade flare, there is a lot of cool new stuff that goes along with these.

We will be doing a back to back against this:

As for putting work into the turbine wheels, Garrett already has some of the best turbine wheels in the business. When you look at power vs exhaust pressure, I have routinely seen the Garrett wheels out pace many other manufacturers given the same size wheels and same A/R housings. Obviously not 100% of the time, but they definitely have some of the best turbines in the business.

Originally Posted by MrParks
4294 - 94mm, 4202 - 102mm, 4508 - 108mm

Yes, we have done that very unit in a 1.06 divided T4 for a customer of our with a Supra with two kits of nitrous. Talk about a powerband, haha. Should be completed soon.

Here are some more pictures of the turbos:

http://www.realstreetperformance.com...?g2_itemId=895
Old 12-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would they care for the OE's demands in their motorsports division where these units are meant for or as they say they are meant for?

Does the rumor that garrett made these wheels for a OE manufacturer and the wheels didnt perform as promised and this was a last ditch effort to sell them?

There are alot of speculations as to why garrett has switched to this design and the real truth will be told on the track if they work or not. No dyno numbers are going to tell the real story.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:44 AM

Why would they care for the OE's demands in their motorsports division where these units are meant for or as they say they are meant for?

Does the rumor that garrett made these wheels for a OE manufacturer and the wheels didnt perform as promised and this was a last ditch effort to sell them?

There are alot of speculations as to why garrett has switched to this design and the real truth will be told on the track if they work or not. No dyno numbers are going to tell the real story.
Their "motorsports" division doesn't mean that the OE contracts don't have influence, go pop the hood on 50 random diesel box trucks or over-the-road trucks, tell me how many GT4294's, GT4594's, or GT5518's you find. Or GT37s on your miscellaneous 1 ton trucks running all over the country. SR20DET OE turbocharger - GT2560R, RB26DETT OE turbocharger - GT2556R. Just because it is a "GT Series" doesn't mean that it is not going to be used heavily in OE contracts. It's the simple economics of it. We can all fall in love with the GTX-R product, and if every hobbyist in the country that's ready to drop $2800-3400 on a turbo ponies up in 2010, it still wouldn't touch an average sized OE contract - not even close.

I know what's next up on the build sheet, when you see the next turbos come out, the statement about OE contracts will start to ring true even more.

The rumor mill will always keep running, as you said, we will find out what they do in the real world. Garrett is one of the most forthcoming brands in terms of the information they provide on their turbochargers. Their compressor maps are normally on the money. What Garrett has told me was the move to the 11 blade and lack of splitters was for the quieter operation that the OEs are looking for.

I'm a Garrett, PTE, Turbonetics, BW, Holset, Mitsubishi, Exile, Forced Inductions, etc... distributor and/or associate distributor, I don't really have a reason to push one brand over another, so our data will be unbiased.

As far as dyno numbers, that depends if the dyno numbers are tinkered with. Using fuel is using fuel - I know about how much power it's making if it's using __% of ____cc injector with a __ base pressure on _____ fuel, the math doesn't really lie when it comes down to fuel consumption. What it comes down to is the honesty and the bias of the person posting the information.

Regards,

Mark Conte
Old 12-29-2009, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You keep referring back to OE, what OE manufacturer are these compressor wheels on?
Old 12-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You keep referring back to OE, what OE manufacturer are these compressor wheels on?
they aren't
the aero was developed in 2007 and never used on anything until now

Quick Reply: New Garrett GTX-R turbos look wicked