Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

New All-Motor Class

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New All-Motor Class

We've got guys like Skunk2, Erick, Norris, Brauning, etc running high 9's to low 10's consistantly in the all out race all-motor class, but then we have RLZ and Saul running low 11's and VERY close to high 10's in the all-motor "street" class. I'm all for everyone trying to go the fastest all-motor and think its great on how fast everyone is going. But I think we need to get another class in there since not everyone has a 6 figure budget or mainstream sponsors. I say make the Street class run on street tires. Take the Street class and make it what it actually is (cars that run on the street) and only allow for open header. Same rules as today, just street tires as a restriction. That should bring the times up to high 11's / low 12's? I think the NDRA and NHRA will keep the all out race guys to the high 9 / low 10 second area, but maybe with this additional class they can let them be in the low 9's.

Now the class I want to see is take today's all-motor Street class but do this:
Completely gutted allowed
Lexan allowed
1 gallon fuel cells allowed
Fiberglass doors and front ends allowed
NO rear traction/wheelie bars
Must keep the stock suspension setup, mounting points, etc (springs, shocks, sway bars, front traction bar, allowed)
NO full belly pans like the top guys have (cutting out the stock fuel tank and sprae tire area allowed)

I think with the 3 classes it gives racers without a $100K budget more of a chance to actually compete and win. So we have low 9's to low 10's for the all out race guys, mid 10's to mid 11's for the middle guys, and high 11's on up for the street guys.

What do you guys think?

I hope earl can back me up on the idea of trying to make things more competitive and keep the flaming in this thread down.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New All-Motor Class (ranta18)

edit: Data transfer issues with the pics.

Modified by ranta18 at 4:48 AM 8/30/2004
Old 08-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's wrong with building a car for one of the two all motor classes already being run? A all motor street and race class, simple enough. Sure it could be competitive if we had 3 or 4 all motor classes but there is not enough racers out there to support more classes. Then you have to have a sponsor to support the new classes and payouts and with crowds barely in the stands who would jump on board and pay the money to put their name on something 20 people will see?
Old 08-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New All-Motor Class (nsxmatt)

Yeah, I understand what you're saying about the entries, but the all-motor class always seems to have a lot of guys battling it out to qualify in the top 8. My point is that the 2 classes now are very close in times and to even be competitive in the all out race class you have to have lots of money invested. There could also be restrictions on engien mods like no deck plates. Its just a suggestion and maybe something can grow from it. I'm open to other ideas you all have.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You shoulda just kept your stuff a Comp 4 Car...Remember when I told yu that?
Old 08-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New All-Motor Class (Suprdave)

Why does everyone want new classes when they can't keep up? Either step up and work harder, or step down a class.

I am in the same boat you are. We built a Pro Stock car last year and have finally been able to make it to some events. The first thing we learned was that the car was 300lbs overweight, and our motor is too small. The first 2 events we ran with bent valves and without the VTEC lobes and could only manage 12.0 @ 110 and failed to qualify. We got the valves fixed and got on the big cam and took it out to NHRA STL and I wasn't able to get a single clean pass without missing 2nd and 3rd gear. We ran 12.0 @ 115 and looking at the timeslips vs. the cars in the other lane we would have run around 11.4 @ 119 mph. That still would not qualify at most NDRA events. Its frustrating as hell to put all the time and money into a race program and not see the results you want. Especially being 100% out of pocket. We can give up and step down, or step up and work harder. I see only 1 option and it certainly isn't opening up a new class. There aren't enough cars as it is now. There should be cars going home without qualifying EVERY RACE. That is when it will be competitive and exciting.

Either you're pro...or you're not.

Good luck with the car
Old 08-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New All-Motor Class (4piston)

I was reading today about this outta pocket NHRA Pro-Stock team (badratracing.com), and how they were thrilled about qualifying 23rd for a 16 car field...and they are only like 1 tenth off pace. Puts things in perspective...eh?

If you can't afford to run with the big dawgs, yu need to be running a street class car.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well this isn't just about me personally. Yes, I am in the posistion where I don't have a ton of money to invest in the type of things going on in the all out all motor class, but I understand that class is needed and I'm not saying change it. We need a class that is for the best of the best and can show what is possible and it exists. I just noticed how close the street car class is getting and think that maybe it should be restricted back. You all know the NDRA and NHRA isn't going to let the top guys run as quick as they can. Pretty soon the street car guys will be running the same times. The easiest way would be to limit them to street tires. That leaves room for another class if the popularity can fill it in the future.

Dave - If I could go back and change it I would.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ranta18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well this isn't just about me personally. Yes, I am in the posistion where I don't have a ton of money to invest in the type of things going on in the all out all motor class, but I understand that class is needed and I'm not saying change it. We need a class that is for the best of the best and can show what is possible and it exists. I just noticed how close the street car class is getting and think that maybe it should be restricted back. You all know the NDRA and NHRA isn't going to let the top guys run as quick as they can. Pretty soon the street car guys will be running the same times. The easiest way would be to limit them to street tires. That leaves room for another class if the popularity can fill it in the future.

Dave - If I could go back and change it I would. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I like your idea.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New All-Motor Class (DxTrix)

most of the all-motor street class is still low 12s
Old 08-29-2004, 06:41 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

It doesn't really matter what you do. You can put on all the restictions you want, but a shop will ALWAYS have more engine and chassis tuning recources than a small private team and that will be more than enough to beat you out.

You will have a hard time tuning your car as well as someone who actually owns a dyno. That is the bottom line.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New All-Motor Class (rochesterricer)

There simply aren't enough cars for another class. Say the NDRA made this class...could you travel to 10 races across the country? How many low budget racers have $10,000-$15,000 just to cover traveling costs? This new class would take away the slower cars from the Pro all motor classes...which are already hard pressed to fill the ladder. It could even take some cars away from the street class...which needs all the car it can get.

Right now there are too many sanctioning bodies and not enough cars. The last thing needed is a new class. Every race should have people fighting for the field.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New All-Motor Class (4piston)

Old 08-29-2004, 07:42 PM

Default Re: New All-Motor Class (Drag_Racer_DRU)

I can tell you right now RLZ isnt operating on a 6 figure budget..........they are just using their heads
Old 08-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New All-Motor Class (2008cc)

Well I know they are half way to a 6 figure budget, and they are in the street class.

I understand what some of you are saying about there not being enough competitors. Maybe in the future.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did anyone say anything about a 6 figure budget?
Old 08-29-2004, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all-motor "street" cars running really low 11's sounds like the class isn't restricted enuf.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ranta18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> But I think we need to get another class in there since not everyone has a 6 figure budget or mainstream sponsors.....................
I think with the 3 classes it gives racers without a $100K budget more of a chance to actually compete and win. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah right here.......
Old 08-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think RLZ has anywhere close to a 50k budget...thats alot of ****** money.

Especially when they do ALOT of work in-house.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:10 PM

I know what earl is saying about the hot rod class and all but i think once you start to split a lot of classes up you are going to start laggin in people competing in each class. Which will then come to eliminating classes. I think the classes that are being run right now are fine. Step it up or Step it Down that is all it is.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There should be 2 all motor street class, 1 For the real street cars and 1 for the street cars with full race motors
Old 08-30-2004, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New All-Motor Class (ALLvtec)

Or at least a true street car class where they are limited to DOT approved drag radials.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:46 AM

Default Re: New All-Motor Class (danimal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danimal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all-motor "street" cars running really low 11's sounds like the class isn't restricted enuf.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You hit it on the head there. ndra & nhra need to get together and put some engine & weight rules together. there both mad every time someone oils down the track but without some restrictions were all going to push the limits.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:27 AM

Default Re: New All-Motor Class (TyCooley)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TyCooley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know what earl is saying about the hot rod class and all but i think once you start to split a lot of classes up you are going to start laggin in people competing in each class. Which will then come to eliminating classes. I think the classes that are being run right now are fine. Step it up or Step it Down that is all it is. </TD></TR></TABLE>

WERD!
Old 08-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2008cc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can tell you right now RLZ isnt operating on a 6 figure budget..........they are just using their heads</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same with Saul... He isn't even operating with half of what rlz has and he's the top dog and holds the Record! For all the people that can't hang just go run brackets...
This is a really bad idea

Quick Reply: New All-Motor Class