Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Import Showdown 2013

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import Showdown 2013

Hey Guys, I'm assisting in organizing Import Showdown this year going into its 11th year of racing. historically there has been 2 events per year in GA. Over the past 2 years there has been an additional race at Montgomery Motorsports Park in Montgomery, AL. We are looking for other options for the 3rd event to try something new and see if it can be more successful. Rockingham, NC is on the list to look at. We are looking for other input as to where we could go.

We are currently seeking more class and media sponsors for the event. I think you'll find us to be very inexpensive to sponsor the 2 events in 2013

About Import Showdown:
Import Showdown is open to any make or model vehicle, import or domestic or motorcycle that meets safe rules for Test and Tune! You don't need to be a competitor to try our open time runs! Competitors must meet class rules, with limits on cylinders, tires, and other modifications.

The event is not for profit, as 95+% of all funds are turned back into the event. The more people that come, the better it is for competitors and future events.

Current 2013 Dates.
Date: May 19, 2013
Event: Import Show Down
Reynolds, GA

Date: October 19, 2013
Event: Import Show Down
Reynolds, GA

Rules(subject to review for next season)
http://www.importshowdown.com/index....&id=4&Itemid=2

Last edited by SPOOLINmatt; 04-12-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Import Showdown 2013

South Georgia Motorsports Park?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive also tickled that idea but everyone is scared of that place because of its location, but i think it would actually turn out well now a days
Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great track prep and its kind of center for the all the georgia, alabama, and florida guys... I think if promoted correctly and early enough, you could get a good turnout
Old 12-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have any date for the montgomery one?

Steve
Old 12-16-2012, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 for south georgia motorsports park
Old 12-16-2012, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No slicks for the FWD class?
Old 12-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fwd has never had slicks. This isn't irev, ogs, ifo.

Modified street is where it's at for the "ifo fwd" cars. It's one of the classes being revised a little bit to level it out.

No Montgomery has not been scheduled because turnout there has been terrible and were looking at other options. It's not out completely, we would probably try the evening event again if we go back there.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SPOOLINmatt
Fwd has never had slicks. This isn't irev, ogs, ifo.

Modified street is where it's at for the "ifo fwd" cars. It's one of the classes being revised a little bit to level it out.

No Montgomery has not been scheduled because turnout there has been terrible and were looking at other options. It's not out completely, we would probably try the evening event again if we go back there.
Yeah, my attendance will depend upon the rule change and I'm sure 3 cars that would be coming with me feel the same way. I don't see any limits on turbo size, slick size, etc.

The turn out would probably better if you went by IFO rules, which is what most of us around this area have built our cars for.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PM me your rule input. I am looking deeply into rules more than anything as far as my involvement. I can tell you right now there will be no turbo size enforcement.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Modified street has always been a mid to high 9 second class. Pretty much what alot of the fwd people at ifo are running, except here you have evos and a few others in the mix. Dont get discouraged because its not ALL fwd cars. Evidently its worked well in the past since its going on its 11th year...
Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A good rule would be enforcing safety equipment! ( cough skyline cough)
Old 12-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PM me your rule input. I am looking deeply into rules more than anything as far as my involvement. I can tell you right now there will be no turbo size enforcement.
PM ensuing.

Originally Posted by DarKStaR5
Modified street has always been a mid to high 9 second class. Pretty much what alot of the fwd people at ifo are running, except here you have evos and a few others in the mix. Dont get discouraged because its not ALL fwd cars. Evidently its worked well in the past since its going on its 11th year...
I'm not discouraged at all, haha. I understand that things break, people miss-shift, etc. We saw this in the FIS class at the Montgomery IFO this year. There just seems to be a huge gap for FWD cars in this event. The FWD class is drag radial only, which I'm sure has a class of mid to high 12 13, and 14 second cars, then the other option for a FWD car is to run with cars that run mid to high 9's. What about the mid 10 to low 12 second cars?

I'm not complaining at all, just trying to figure out how guys are running competitively in these classes when the rules are so broad.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tuner Eddy
I'm not discouraged at all, haha. I understand that things break, people miss-shift, etc. We saw this in the FIS class at the Montgomery IFO this year. There just seems to be a huge gap for FWD cars in this event. The FWD class is drag radial only, which I'm sure has a class of mid to high 12 13, and 14 second cars, then the other option for a FWD car is to run with cars that run mid to high 9's. What about the mid 10 to low 12 second cars?

I'm not complaining at all, just trying to figure out how guys are running competitively in these classes when the rules are so broad.
Not everyone can be competitive at every event..... thats racing
Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by poorboy44
Not everyone can be competitive at every event..... thats racing
Thank you, I understand that. I'm simply trying to bring more people to this event like Matt is trying to do. This track isn't exactly 20 minutes from my house, so I'd like to be sure I'm traveling to compete, not just run a test and tune.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Right.

If anyone has input, keep it to PM's as far as rules. I have been racing with Import Showdown since 2005 so i know very well what the weak points are.

Last edited by SPOOLINmatt; 12-18-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

past 2 years the fwd(radial) class has been mid 11s to mid 12s class
Old 12-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The turnout at montgomery was very low, but i'm still hoping they will have another one there. We brought two car with us and will probably bring more this year if one is schedule. It's already a 6 hours tow for us and probably another 3 if we decided to go the south georgia one.

Steve
Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If we end up back at mont I'm calling for a 3pm start time like 2011 was. Steele came up.(al intl drag way)
Old 12-19-2012, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I prefer Montgomery over Steele any day. Montgomery just seems like a good middle point for a lot of people. The problem with ISD and Montgomery is it need to be advertised a lot sooner and on more boards. I found out about it 2 or 3 weeks before.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree it needs to be out on more boards.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will say this. We had a great talk last night and we are editing class rules, I THINK, to fit the area much better than what it has.

We have incorporated some IFO ideas but that means allowing FWD cars that are street cars(full interior, exhaust, no skinnies, etc) to have slicks while rwd cars can have radials in a different named class and deleting "FWD"....this is similar to FIS in IFO. HOWEVER, we are not done yet.

I can't go copying IFO rules to a tee because IFO has 250-300 events under its belt and rules that fit for everywhere they go around the country. Import Showdown was founded by AWD DSM guys and their organization and I have to respect the AWD guys and also keep the sportsman level of the event as a priority. We have also addressed the "issue" in modified street that people around here are well aware of.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will say this. We had a great talk last night and we are editing class rules, I THINK, to fit the area much better than what it has.

We have incorporated some IFO ideas but that means allowing FWD cars that are street cars(full interior, exhaust, no skinnies, etc) to have slicks while rwd cars can have radials in a different named class and deleting "FWD"....this is similar to FIS in IFO. HOWEVER, we are not done yet.

I can't go copying IFO rules to a tee because IFO has 250-300 events under its belt and rules that fit for everywhere they go around the country. Import Showdown was founded by AWD DSM guys and their organization and I have to respect the AWD guys and also keep the sportsman level of the event as a priority. We have also addressed the "issue" in modified street that people around here are well aware of.
ha I bet I know what issue you're referring too lol

But can I ask, why not adopt similar rules to ifo? Since its the only major series around, why not have similar rules so people arent worried about building the car around one set of rules and then not fitting into the rules of another series?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

again, IFO has lots of classes, with lots of backing and years of marketing and sponsors from multiple multiple events per year. That plays into things.

Like i said, Quick Street "the old FWD class" would be FWD slicks, rwd, awd = drag radials and full interior, exhaust, etc. this is extremely similar to IFO FIS. NO BIAS PLY drag radials
Old 12-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it should be a low 11 to high 12's class in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Import Showdown 2013