Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Did Nelson Hoyos obtain his Advanced ET license by the books?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 10:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: Canyon mother fucking Country, California, United States of America
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did Nelson Hoyos obtain his Advanced ET license by the books?

Hoyos wants the record - it will put him in the points lead.

nhrasportcompact.com

SEVEN FORTIES!!!!! For the first time in history! Nelson went too quick to set the 7.407 as a record, instead this run will back up his earlier 7.549 for a new national record and the points lead. The entire press room is shaking their heads here in Englishtown!

W/L Driver RT ET Speed

(W) Nelson Hoyos ('04Cavalier) 0.321 7.406 190.24
(L) Jerrold Rhodes ('91 CRX) 0.112 11.132 127.78

Nelson Hoyos historic 7.40 pass is big in a number of ways. NHRA officials have confirmed that the run will count towards Nelson obtaining his advanced ET competition license. The next time Nelson runs under 7.50, he will be the first driver in NHRA history to obtain an advanced ET license with a front wheel drive powered vehicle. Cool!

Hoyos does it again!!! History is made again here in E-town - that will complete Nelson's Advanced ET license, the first person in NHRA history to do it with a front wheel drive vehicle! WOW. Nelson Hoyos' incremental times: 60ft-1.227 sec., 330ft-3.286, 660ft-4.857/157.25mph, 1,000ft-6.229

Nelson finished and signed the forms to send to NHRA headquarters for his Advanced ET license -

Nelson hazed the tires a little, then drifted to the right just a tad, but it's another 7.40's smackdown. He leaves Etown with a 22 point lead over Lisa Kubo for the 2004 championship.

Upgrade and class Requirements
1.Drivers may not drive a vehicle classed over their license, nor may they cross between category types unless specifically licensed for each (see NHRA Rulebook;General Regulations;credentials).Drivers must be registered and have a competition number for each category in which they compete(check coverage box on front).
2.Currently licensed drivers who wish to upgrade license class or crossgrade license type must make three test runs (see runs 4,5 and 6)
3.The applicant will inform the track manager and/or duly authorized track official of intent, and will then arrange for two(2) currently licensed drivers (of eqaul class r above class or as appointed by an NHRA Division Director) and a authorizd track official to observe each test run. Signatures of observers and times must be filled in after each run.
4.Three run upgrade or crossgrade between motorcycles and car not permitted. Full test procedure required.
5.Upgrade requirements for 3B license holder applying for a 1C Pro Stock license may be waived by NHRA Division Direcor.
6.Physical examination not required for license upgrade/crossgrade providing applicants current license has not expired.
7.All test runs will be single runs. No side-by-side runs on test sessions. After completeing test runs, foward application and original time slips to your division office.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Did Nelson Hoyos obtain his Advanced ET license by the books? (TheRwillFUKyou666)

what size tire does he run??
Old 10-04-2004, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Did Nelson Hoyos obtain his Advanced ET license by the books? (Gravy)

"what size tire does he run??"
Old 10-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Did Nelson Hoyos obtain his Advanced ET license by the books? (TheRwillFUKyou666)

Maybe he already had it from driving the Focus? But, if not you would be correct in that he can't do the runs in competion.

John
Old 10-05-2004, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Did Nelson Hoyos obtain his Advanced ET license by the books? (Gravy)

It was the bothwell car that got DQ'ed for too big of slick max 10.5 in wide they were running a 11.2....oops

IMO nhra let him slide on the license, Usually if it is a renewal your passes in competition will count....Better Question to ask is was the chassis certified to go that fast? 9.99-7.50 is what most fwd cars are certified to, since he was the first one there? Hmmmmmm
Old 10-05-2004, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Did Nelson Hoyos obtain his Advanced ET license by the books? (here2race-no.b.s)

Charlie, what spec is the Saturn cage built to?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Did Nelson Hoyos obtain his Advanced ET license by the books? (tony1)

so if his chassis isn't legal to run under 7.50's what will happen to him?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:37 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Did Nelson Hoyos obtain his Advanced ET license by the books? (TyCooley)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TyCooley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so if his chassis isn't legal to run under 7.50's what will happen to him?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Better yet, is there a chassis spec for sub 7.50's.. And as stated earlier, doesnt he still have his liscense from the Focus, so wouldnt it be a renewal.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Did Nelson Hoyos obtain his Advanced ET license by the books? (SIXTYdashONE)

yeah i didn't know how to phrase that lol. If he has the license then. Doesn't The Car Still Have To Have To Be Rated For Those times. what would happen if it isn't?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Did Nelson Hoyos obtain his Advanced ET license by the books? (tony1)

Tony ...7.50 If you want the proper terminology 26-whatever I can find out for you
Old 10-05-2004, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Did Nelson Hoyos obtain his Advanced ET license by the books? (SIXTYdashONE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTYdashONE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Better yet, is there a chassis spec for sub 7.50's.. And as stated earlier, doesnt he still have his liscense from the Focus, so wouldnt it be a renewal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same spec as a pro rear wheel drive car SFI Spec 25.1D
Old 10-05-2004, 06:52 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Default Re: Did Nelson Hoyos obtain his Advanced ET license by the books? (here2race-no.b.s)

So wouldnt that mean he has that particular liscense from before..

Just wondering if NHRA will implement anything new for this..
Old 10-05-2004, 07:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTYdashONE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So wouldnt that mean he has that particular liscense from before..

Just wondering if NHRA will implement anything new for this..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes he probably had an expired license, and they re-newed it that day.

Chassis cert....different story...
It was well known what their intentions were before the race that they were going for records, (and 30's are very possible with their set up). They had already been 7.58
Old 10-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

25.1e i believe is the newest chassis as far as tube chassis... 25.5 is unibody chassis...
Old 10-05-2004, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as i know the nhra import license is good to run on nay et. that's what nhra says caus ewhen the license was issued they did not know what et 's will be run. most of the pro rwd car driver's have just an import license
Old 10-05-2004, 08:24 AM

Default Re: (vteccivicsi92)

come on guys its a GM its ok for nhra!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (vteccivicsi92)

Why stir **** up? It is a great leap for our sport that will do nothing but help. There is no doubt that the GM teams are the most prepared and qualified people to break into new territories in this sport, safety wise and technologically.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:48 AM

Default Re: (4piston)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4piston &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why stir **** up? It is a great leap for our sport that will do nothing but help. There is no doubt that the GM teams are the most prepared and qualified people to break into new territories in this sport, safety wise and technologically. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's ok for nhra to take away points and records from the bothwell team for running to big of tire, But when AK team breaks a rule it's ok? (Because they are better prepared technology wise??? What what?)
If they were prepaired the chassis whould have already been certified for the et Right?
Not taking anything away from them and what they accomplished...But bending rules from them? I have seen several cars run a 9.99 or faster and be told don't do it again or be DQ'ed, and then get DQ'ed for doing it...it appears to be a double standard is all I am saying....
Old 10-05-2004, 08:56 AM

Default Re: (here2race-no.b.s)

its amazing, just half a year ago Lisa broke the 7 sec. barrier for the first time. Now Nelson is knocking on the door of 7.30's. They make it look soo easy and im sure that it is far from easy.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:01 AM

Default Re: (here2race-no.b.s)

Jim Skelly has set me straight. I apologize to NHRA for my words. I was told definitively that the chassis was not certed for the ET's. My apologies to Jim and NHRA.

Modified by GoldenEagleMfg.com at 11:46 AM 10/5/2004
Old 10-05-2004, 09:22 AM

Default Re: (GoldenEagleMfg.com)

"How can we take NHRA seriously when their structure in the series goes whichever way the wind is blowing???"

All That You Said Is So True. But They Have Rules and They Do Banned People From competition. Ex. Cars In Pro FWD
Old 10-05-2004, 09:35 AM
PNG
Honda-Tech Member

Default A couple of thoughts here...

The argument could be made that Ron's DQ (purportedly for a tire that was too big) had to do with something that was a potential advantage in competition, while Nelson's situation didn't give him an edge on the other drivers in the class, being purely safety-related. Of course, nobody should get a pass on safety deficiencies, but I think you could also argue that a car that was safe at 7.58 isn't instantly unsafe when you run 7.40's. Of course, you have to draw the line somewhere.

Second, without having a copy in front of me, does 25.1E even apply to a FWD car, or is it specific enough that there needs to be a new SFI cert just for FWD tube frame cars?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've checked with my sources, and...........

Nelson's car is certified to 25.1. That's the same as Pro Stock, and there is no lower e.t. limit on the spec. The chassis is NOT an issue.

In the POWERade series professional classes, a driver gets a "Pro Stock" or a "Top Fuel" license by making test runs indicative of times for the class. Since Sport Compact is evolving so fast, it would be difficult to make a driver go, for example, 7.40's, or 7.50's or even 7.90's in order to get, say a "Pro FWD" license. Especially 3 in a row at a test session.

When the Sport Compact series began in 2001, licenses were issued as a class "4B", meaning 9.99 to 7.50 et. Who thought they'd be going so quick, so soon? When the Pro RWD cars started running sub-7.50, NHRA allowed competition runs to be used in lieu of private test runs in order to upgrade licenses. The same approach is being used for Pro FWD. NHRA has also allowed competition runs to be used for Hot Rod and All Motor drivers who break into the 9's, so long as they have their physical and application paperwork current, and the Competition Director is comfortable with their performance. (And I'll bet if I check my sources, I can find several drivers who got their license this way, right on this message board.)

Now, you can call this "bending" or "changing a stand" or whatever you want to. But the alternative is to send everyone back to a test session in order to upgrade a license. I think in this case, NHRA is acting for the benefit of the sport. Nelson got his upgrade the same way that Paisley, Ara, George, Abel, Matt Scranton, etc. etc. did, BEFORE Nelson. And none of those guys drive for GM.

Sheese.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:17 AM

Default Re: (old guy)

ok..thanks....that wasn't my understanding on the chassis, thanks for clearing that up... no argument...you tha man Jim
Old 10-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Old Schooler

Nelson did not drive the Ford focus Matt Hartford did I know this for sure.

For a advanced lic this is questionable.

Quick Reply: Did Nelson Hoyos obtain his Advanced ET license by the books?