Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Denatured alcohol question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Denatured alcohol question

I thought maybe people in here would help me because I know some people run just alcohol. Anyways, I need to pass emissions and it seems like adding denatured alcohol is the thing to do. My main question is why does this combination produce such a clean exhaust gas ? Is it because denatured alcohol burns so clean or is it because your boosting the octane rating up ?
Old 12-15-2004, 03:39 AM
H-T Administrator

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Denatured alcohol question (90blackcrx)

I know a guy that drag races around me here in Canada, has used methanol in his suburban to get it pass emissions. I think the reason that it'll help lower your emissions numbers is due to the fact that it isn't a conventional fossil fuel, therefore it is not hydrocarbon based, I'm sure someone willl correct me if I am wrong here though.

Clayton
Old 12-15-2004, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Denatured alcohol question (Clayton)

Is that good for your engine??
Old 12-15-2004, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Denatured alcohol question (90blackcrx)

alcohol burns cleaner, I helped a buddy pass emisions with his 82 mercury zephyr with a new air filter, 1/8 tank of regular unleaded, and 4 bottles of HEET.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Denatured alcohol question (sleeperHatch)

Here in Denver, the gasoline between November and February has 10% Ethanol content for cleaner emissions-- it says it on every single gas pump. It will help you pass for sure--
Old 12-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so its not because of the octane boost then right ? But it does up the octane when you add denatured alcohol correct ?

Old 12-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90blackcrx)

Wrong alcohol will not bump up your octane rating. There are different burn totally different than gas.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rtype16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rtype16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wrong alcohol will not bump up your octane rating. There are different burn totally different than gas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So denatured alcohol will not bump it up, but Toluene or Xylene. I was under the impression they were basically the same chemicals almost.

Here maybe you guys can answer this, I know what octane means but I wanted to know whats burns cleaner and more efficient. Lower octane or higher octane.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Here maybe you guys can answer this, I know what octane means but I wanted to know whats burns cleaner and more efficient. Lower octane or higher octane.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lower
Old 12-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dmoto)

It all depends on what the car is designed for. The higher the octane the harder it is to ignite the fuel. Which in some cases like a bone stock civic will make more horsepower on 87 than on 91. But this is primarily for horsepower on a test for passing smog I have a few suggestions. Put 87 in the car. Drive the **** out of the car right before the smog check. Get the cat really hot. If you have a problem with burning oil put a higher weight oil in the car or you can even put in some type of STP or whatever to help with the oil consumption. Advance the timing to the mazimum allowable. Also another thing would be to use a slight mixture of Tolulene in the car to help it read better.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rtype16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rtype16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It all depends on what the car is designed for. The higher the octane the harder it is to ignite the fuel. Which in some cases like a bone stock civic will make more horsepower on 87 than on 91. But this is primarily for horsepower on a test for passing smog I have a few suggestions. Put 87 in the car. Drive the **** out of the car right before the smog check. Get the cat really hot. If you have a problem with burning oil put a higher weight oil in the car or you can even put in some type of STP or whatever to help with the oil consumption. Advance the timing to the mazimum allowable. Also another thing would be to use a slight mixture of Tolulene in the car to help it read better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

See now this is what is confusing me, you told me to put the lowest octane in my gas but also to add Tolulene, and by adding Tolulene I'm gonna up the octane. I'm gonna use Denatured alcohol instead because so many people swear by it plus you said its not gonna add any octane.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dmoto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lower</TD></TR></TABLE>

So one does actually burn cleaner ? I thought that was just a myth. Also when I mean cleaning I don't mean how much of it actually ignites.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So one does actually burn cleaner ? I thought that was just a myth. Also when I mean cleaning I don't mean how much of it actually ignites.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just know that my NA eclipse tested better with lower octane a few years ago.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dmoto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dmoto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i just know that my NA eclipse tested better with lower octane a few years ago.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I PASSED !!! emissions. I put in 87 octane. Anyways guys thanks for clearing up denatured alcohol a little.

RType I would still like to here why you said add tolulene over denatured alcohol.