Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

Which B series camshafts to use? Hmmmmmm...

Old 03-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which B series camshafts to use? Hmmmmmm...

which cams to use? Some info below of my setup:

Block:
84mm RS sleeved block
Aria 10:1 pistons
Manley Turbo Tuff rods
LS crank

Head:
GSR 4piston outlaw head
Complete Ferrea Valvetrain
4Piston ported Skunk2 Ultra
Skunk2 90mm

Turbo setup:
Spoolin Performance FF manifold
Precision 6870 Gen 2
Weldon pump
ID2000 injectors
Blah blah blah...

Planning to make anywhere from 800-900HP maybe more if possible...

Been debating as to what cams would be best for my setup. Even though I would love to get the pro series webcams setup or the ferrea roller rockers, my pockets aint deep enough for that unless someone has a deal for me

Any recommendations for any other alternatives? Was thinking Skunk2 Pro 2+ or maybe some custom grind DDtechs? If these cams were to be used, what else would need to be changed on the head? Rockers, LMAs. locking pins???

Please give experienced feedback...Dont want any of that "I hate XXXXXXXX company so dont use their ****" kinda comments. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which B series camshafts to use? Hmmmmmm...

in a drag racing forum and not 1 soul can recommend anything? lol
Old 03-17-2016, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The risk of OE rocker arms getting wiped is pretty high on a lot of bigger cams, no matter who makes them. For reliability I would go with ferrea rockers. Do not use locking pins on 3 lobes, it's kinda dumb and you will be taking it back apart sooner than later.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a similar setup with the 6870 and Pro 1s that made 901whp.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
The risk of OE rocker arms getting wiped is pretty high on a lot of bigger cams, no matter who makes them. For reliability I would go with ferrea rockers. Do not use locking pins on 3 lobes, it's kinda dumb and you will be taking it back apart sooner than later.
I would go with ferrea rockers if i had the budget for it...
Old 03-17-2016, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mint
I have a similar setup with the 6870 and Pro 1s that made 901whp.
What RPM are you revving up to on that setup and how is your power curve?
Old 03-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a lot of high hp cars use pro 1s...are you able to use ferrea roller rockers with them cams? then there shouldn't be any wear issues with them locked?
Old 03-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Pro 1's are a proven option
GSC T1's
Kelford "B"
Webcam "T1Race spec"

I recall someone saying that NRG custom race cams were rebranded Brian Crower Stage 3 NA cams..don't know how true thatis/was or whether Stg 3 BC's will work or not
Old 03-18-2016, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Kelford 176-T cams. I believe it was Jeff Evans who said they outperformed the Pro 1s across the board.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98B18C1
What RPM are you revving up to on that setup and how is your power curve?

9800rpm but this run was cut at 9400rpm.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

T1 webcams specs, is it 1 lobe or 3lobes?
Old 03-18-2016, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of people make good power with the pro 1s. I see 900+hp all over here and other places. But if you use the vtec locking pins, you must use an oil that has zinc in it. That will help protect your stock rockers. I used Brad Penn. High in zinc.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gsc t1 specs are good
Old 03-21-2016, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks all for the great feedback!

Any huge differences between using the Skunk2 Pro 1s or the pro 2s?
Old 03-21-2016, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondaracing84
A lot of people make good power with the pro 1s. I see 900+hp all over here and other places. But if you use the vtec locking pins, you must use an oil that has zinc in it. That will help protect your stock rockers. I used Brad Penn. High in zinc.
good to know! thanks brotha! I also heard if I plan on using the locking pins, polishing the rockers would help a bit as well. What do you think?
Old 03-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone have experience with Kelford 176-T cams? Iv found little info on them, but the info I got was positive. I'd like to know if this is a drop in cam like the gsc t1 cams?!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ddtech!!!
contact him for some nice cams
Old 03-23-2016, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

heres a older link about the kelford 176-t cams...jeff evans has good results with them
https://honda-tech.com/drag-racing-3...nions-3193909/
Old 03-26-2016, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

In my earlier post I meant Kelford 176T not B
Old 03-28-2016, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Runnerdown

I agree, locking a 3 lobe is useless.

I've yet to see any increased wear regardless on a 1 lobe, on stock rocker arms. Bigger cams will wear, eventually, its fact. On my personal car, with multiple nitrous / motor passes on the dyno and track, i didn't see any wear, but good oil ran, proper lash and proper vt setup

If you're trying to do this on a street car, its dumb, but locking a car in vtec adds simplicity, some say increased oil pressure slightly, and faster rev/tad more power due to less rotating mass. Its strictly for drag use only.

Lets be smart about camshaft options, do some solid research outside of just 1 forum. You'll quickly find your area of choices narrows down to maybe 3 at best when talking about power, records, and what not.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DDTECH

I've yet to see any increased wear regardless on a 1 lobe, on stock rocker arms. Bigger cams will wear, eventually, its fact. On my personal car, with multiple nitrous / motor passes on the dyno and track, i didn't see any wear, but good oil ran, proper lash and proper vt setup

If you're trying to do this on a street car, its dumb, but locking a car in vtec adds simplicity, some say increased oil pressure slightly, and faster rev/tad more power due to less rotating mass. Its strictly for drag use only.

Lets be smart about camshaft options, do some solid research outside of just 1 forum. You'll quickly find your area of choices narrows down to maybe 3 at best when talking about power, records, and what not.
This car will be for drag racing purposes only and will never see the street again...

Per the engine specs in my OP, which one of your cams would you recommend to run with stock rockers? Would you lock or not? Experience and insights? Josh on TI.net was telling me he is using custom grinds from you guys as well...
Old 03-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DDTECH

I've yet to see any increased wear regardless on a 1 lobe, on stock rocker arms. Bigger cams will wear, eventually, its fact. On my personal car, with multiple nitrous / motor passes on the dyno and track, i didn't see any wear, but good oil ran, proper lash and proper vt setup [COLOR="red"]Why would

Why would the wear be any different with a 3 lobe VS 1 lobe? Isnt it the same cam just 2 lobes removed? If so wear WILL be the same..

I can tell you from MY experience they wearout when locked.. I dont run lock Vtec and I have zero wear.. I've run a bunch of different cams.. Locked Vtec cars with the same cam/set are worn out in not a lot of runs..
Old 03-29-2016, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nonvtecallmotor
Why would the wear be any different with a 3 lobe VS 1 lobe? Isnt it the same cam just 2 lobes removed? If so wear WILL be the same..

I can tell you from MY experience they wearout when locked.. I dont run lock Vtec and I have zero wear.. I've run a bunch of different cams.. Locked Vtec cars with the same cam/set are worn out in not a lot of runs..
Well. It sounds like you have it all figured out?..

I can tell you that no matter the size, the vtec lobes majority of the time on very large camshafts will wear.. regardless if they are locked or not, however the 3 lobes not being in vtec all the time, tend to last longer..

With that said, The wear comes from cold startups on a large camshaft and high pressure springs, there's other factors but I'm trying to break it down here for the people who don't know.

I can tell you from customers experience the incorrect lash,install height and oil can play a huge role in improper wearing of camshafts even on 3 lobe, as I've repaired multiple camshafts from other companies as well as mine.

My own personal shop car ran 1 lobes, locked on flat tappets. I had no issues other then some of the chemical coating on our camshafts rubbing up and even that was very little. I had probably a hand full of "DAYS" on the dyno, not hours, but days, testing fuel, and what not.. and probably 40-60 track passes if I had to guess on those cams and they were fine.

Also I meant to say - Increased wear as in they may or maynot wear faster, I've seen my personal customers and my own cams wear normally. again.. my experience.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98B18C1
This car will be for drag racing purposes only and will never see the street again...

Per the engine specs in my OP, which one of your cams would you recommend to run with stock rockers? Would you lock or not? Experience and insights? Josh on TI.net was telling me he is using custom grinds from you guys as well...
Josh from FLs, is a good friend and great customers. His car has made more then it ever has on our camshaft profile.. its great to seem him doing really well with them.

If its not going to be street then I'd recommend talking to your tuner, a lot of people can't or wont tune 1 lobes because they can be a huge pain sometimes. If you're going to run a 1 lobe I'd recommend a actual roller rocker but you can run a locked 1 lobe or go with a 3 lobe, I'd talk to your tuner first to see which suits your needs.

I have a few recommendations, email, Derek@DDTECHCAMS.com
Old 03-30-2016, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Derek thanks for always giving out great info, always more than willing to help out. So goes to the others who post on here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which B series camshafts to use? Hmmmmmm...