Notices
Drag Racing Drag Racing (legal) & Associated Topics

2010 NSCRA Street Stock "proposed rules"

Old 02-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 NSCRA Street Stock "proposed rules"

The following is just a proposed set of rules, final rules will be posted on www.nscra.com later this week. What are everyone's thoughts?

2010 NSCRA Street Stock Rules

Contested: Northeast Region Events only

Race Format: Quick 16 field, Pro ladder, Heads-up, Pro tree, No breakout. 1/4 mile Drag Racing.

General: All vehicles and Drivers must comply with NHRA / IHRA / NSCRA safety rules and regulations. Engine catch pan or diaper is not required, but recommended. Chassis certification and Driver licensing must be completed prior to event. NSCRA rules are subject to change based on the National Sport Compact Racing Association's commitment and dedication to competitive racing for every enthusiast.

Body: Import or domestic compact car bodies allowed. Doors must open and close from inside and outside the vehicle. Lightweight components are limited to hood, front fenders, decklid, hatches, sunroofs, wings, ground effects, and bumpers only. Roof, Quarter panels, and doors must remain steel. Widened front fenders are prohibited on FWD cars. One-piece front ends are not permitted. No body parts may be removed during competition.

Chassis: All cars must retain complete stock chassis, floorboard, firewall, and frame rails. Notching of chassis for clearance is permitted.

Suspension: All cars must utilize stock front and rear suspension and mounts (ladder bars and four links are prohibited). Wheelie bars are prohibited on all cars. Aftermarket front and rear control arms, struts, shocks, and sub-frame connectors are permitted.

Street Equipment: Headlights and brake lights are required (one headlight may be removed for induction).

Windows: All windows must be OEM glass. All windows must be functional, and roll up and down.

Interior: Stock dashboard and full interior is required including both front seats and rear seats. Aftermarket seats, gauges, and interior are permitted. Dashboard must be OEM stock (vents, clusters, radio, etc may be removed but drivers encouraged to use block-off panels in their place).

Exhaust: Muffler(s) are required and exhaust must extend to rear bumper.

Electronics: Two-steps, data loggers, aftermarket ECU’s, and engine management systems are allowed.

Driveline: Open to FWD and RWD cars. IRS conversions to straight axle are prohibited.

Transmission: OEM Factory transmissions only are permitted and must have been available for year, make, and model of car sold in U.S.A. Aftermarket bell housings, axles, gears, spools, and differentials are permitted.

Clutch / Shifter: The use of slider, adjustable, or any “Slipper style” clutch prohibited. Two discs maximum. Clutch must be manually operated by driver’s foot. Shifter must be H-pattern. Strain gauges are not permitted. Air shifters and electric shifters are prohibited.

Engine: Only OEM 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder engines only. Any internal engine modifications are permitted. Engine must be of automotive import origin or offered as OEM in compact cars sold in North America. Motor swaps of same manufacturer or different manufacturer is not permitted. Engine block and cylinder head must have been available for year, make, and model of car sold in U.S.A. Maximum displacement is limited to .100 liter over factory displacement of engine.

Power Adders: Not permitted. If nitrous oxide was previously on vehicle, then nitrous bottles and solenoids must be removed from car and nitrous nozzles must be capped.

Intercooling: Not permitted.

Fuel: Gasoline and E-85 permitted, Alcohol is prohibited. OEM Functional gas tank must be used (modifications to sump area are permitted).

Tires: All tires are checked by sidewall designation
FWD cars: Maximum size slick or bias ply tire is 24.5” x 9.5” or any size DOT radial tire is permitted.
RWD cars: Slicks or bias ply tires are prohibited, DOT Radial tires only are permitted.

Minimum Weights: No minimum weight for this class due to wide variety of cars. With rules listed above cars will remain close to OEM curb weight.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2010 NSCRA Street Stock "proposed rules"

Does anyone know what displacement the Nissan Maximas are running? Are they still stock displacement currently or are they stroked? We need to make sure that they are competitive under the new rules as they were a competitive car.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait but then that defeats the purpose of allowing any internal work that was part of the rules as long as the block head and tranny are the same. i am running a prelude with and h22a1 motor. i am way too heavy to run in motor street. i have already purchased my parts and pistons so i can run in this class which i had pm'd you about. i have seen preludes pushing 270 that only go mids 12's. that would completely kill some cars out of the even if your not allowed to mod internals completely. thats is why swaps are not allowed cause they would make it a 11 sec field
Old 02-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont like the limit on displacement. everything else looks fine for me. I guess I have to get some internals now since im still on a stock bottom end The maximas are 3.0 but im not 100% positive.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rules look good Jason!!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the thing... Street Stock has worked over the years because most racers had stock motors. As the class gets more competitive and people start building bigger motors and start running mid to low 11s I worry that class participation will fall off. We always allowed bigger engines because we had no way to police it. Now we do with this new tool, so we can limit the cars to hopefully keep this more of an entry level class.

We will still be allowing cams, head work, etc.. I think, but any mods that can be checked we should eliminate to keep the cost down low.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

most the maxiams are 3.5 litters. i like the rules looks mostly like the old rules with just a few changes, but over all looks real good. looks like im gonna have to buy some rear seats i sold mine so i can have full interior back in the car.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rules look pretty good to me. Really glad the rules don't include the v8's. Nothing against those cars but if you took BMW or Mercedes out of the question and said should 5.5L, multi-valve, rwd V8's be allowed I don't think anyone would say yes.

The limit on displacement might hurt a couple cars but overall should be a good way to limit some combinations as well as the money spent. As far as I know there were only a handful of cars running stroker/big bore motors recently. The Maximas are either 3.0l or 3.5l from the factory depending on year and I don't believe any of them are stroked. My only concern for a cap such a .1L over stock is does it provide enough room for some of the 6 cylinder cars such as the maximas to go first overbore and still be under the cap? Maybe the limit should be .030" per cylinder or something similar to allow a reasonable overbore to fix a messed up/high mileage motor?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:37 PM

i agree with that but all most cars that have lets say big honda motors are in heavy 2800 pound cars already.. the v6 with work still are like around 3800 pounds. what i would say is allow over .100 and see how it works out in the first few events and then if there is some cars that are killing the field then work from there. i doubt any cars would be hitting 11 this year at all. also since your not allowing swaps or combinations of motors for the same year and style of the car. that would take away from alot of the high power stroke motors that people can do..
Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this clas makes no sense to me or maybe im just stupid.

so if i have a 94 coupe with a gsr in it i cant race. right?

if thats the case i dont know how this is a 12 sec class let alone an 11.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vw1320
Rules look pretty good to me. Really glad the rules don't include the v8's. Nothing against those cars but if you took BMW or Mercedes out of the question and said should 5.5L, multi-valve, rwd V8's be allowed I don't think anyone would say yes.

The limit on displacement might hurt a couple cars but overall should be a good way to limit some combinations as well as the money spent. As far as I know there were only a handful of cars running stroker/big bore motors recently. The Maximas are either 3.0l or 3.5l from the factory depending on year and I don't believe any of them are stroked. My only concern for a cap such a .1L over stock is does it provide enough room for some of the 6 cylinder cars such as the maximas to go first overbore and still be under the cap? Maybe the limit should be .030" per cylinder or something similar to allow a reasonable overbore to fix a messed up/high mileage motor?
x2

entry level class, entry level cost's and entry level et will guarantee this class stays popular down the road

big displacement = big costs = quicker et's = car counts will drop as it becomes more dificult to compete

history should tell you guys this and if your honestly thinking of the good of the class you will be greatfull they kept it and build your cars around the rules instead of trying to build the rules around your car
Old 02-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d16z6Tcrx

No motorswaps are allowed. So if you have a 94 ex coupe you could have a D16z6. The only way you could have a GSR is if you have it in a GSR Integra.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d16z6Tcrx

Sorry but you cant. It has to be the motor that came in the car from the factory. And yes it is a 12 second class. More then 75% of the class is in the 12s.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent
Old 02-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no you cant have any motor swaps, we have been a 13 sec feild for most the time and the last year it has came a 12 sec class.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NAH2B
x2

entry level class, entry level cost's and entry level et will guarantee this class stays popular down the road

big displacement = big costs = quicker et's = car counts will drop as it becomes more dificult to compete

history should tell you guys this and if your honestly thinking of the good of the class you will be greatfull they kept it and build your cars around the rules instead of trying to build the rules around your car
Well said. My car the way it sits and ran at WCF is in the rules other then not having a back seat. Stock bottom end FTW!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm glad you kept the class. I've been fighting for you guys. Dont let me down or I'll come looking for you.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nonvtecallmotor
I'm glad you kept the class. I've been fighting for you guys. Dont let me down or I'll come looking for you.
Oh snap. Sir yes sir.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ha ha we should have a fun a great year
Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good thing I didn't build a big motor for this year!

Rules look good.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beavis
Well said. My car the way it sits and ran at WCF is in the rules other then not having a back seat. Stock bottom end FTW!
lose the rollbar and you'll go faster
Old 02-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NAH2B
lose the rollbar and you'll go faster
Its chromoly and it was 32lbs. Lol i lose that buy taking out the navigation and tv. lol
Old 02-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jason Miller
Does anyone know what displacement the Nissan Maximas are running? Are they still stock displacement currently or are they stroked? We need to make sure that they are competitive under the new rules as they were a competitive car.
All Maximas from 85-01 were 3.0L. The 3.5L was introduced as standard in all 2002s and still is in the car as of 2010. All the 3L Maximas aren't going to be very competitive since the fastest I know of that may qualify for SS runs 13s. The 3.5L Maximas will be more competitive and currently the world's fastest SS Maxima (2002) ran in the WCF last year running mid 12s.

None are stroked that I've ever seen.

I won't qualify for SS myself since I have a 3.5L swap in my old 92 Maxima. I was racing in the MAXUS 09 event this past June at MIR.

I know there will be more Maximas racing this year at MIR. They have a huge presence in the DC area. That is why we chose to hold the world's largest Maxima event, MAXUS, near MIR for 2009.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does full interior mean carpet and all interior panels?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like it. The displacement cap should work well. No v8 cars is probably for the best.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 NSCRA Street Stock "proposed rules"