Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Questions for Presidential and other detailers

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Questions for Presidential and other detailers

Got a few questions for the detailing experts in here.

I saw Presidential mention in another thread that he uses a machine(s) to apply pretty much every product. Do you use a machine to apply the final wax, also? And do you use a machine to remove the product or do you do that by hand w/ MF towels?

Also, I have a few LC pads I bought a few years ago to use with my PC DA, but some of them have some polishing product dried up in them that I neglected to clean out. Are those pads toast or can I still clean them and be able to use them again? What is the best way to clean the 6.5" foam pads?

I may post more questions if I think of any.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 PM
2010 Honda-Tech Poker champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Questions for Presidential and other detailers

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94

I saw Presidential mention in another thread that he uses a machine(s) to apply pretty much every product. Do you use a machine to apply the final wax, also? And do you use a machine to remove the product or do you do that by hand w/ MF towels?

Also, I have a few LC pads I bought a few years ago to use with my PC DA, but some of them have some polishing product dried up in them that I neglected to clean out. Are those pads toast or can I still clean them and be able to use them again? What is the best way to clean the 6.5" foam pads?

It depends on what final "wax" I use if I apply by machine, or by hand. I almost always remove with towels.

As far as the crusty pads try soaking in water and dawn.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just soak? Seems like I tried that, plus kneading the pad with my hands/fingers, and I never could get all the old compound out of them.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:06 AM
2010 Honda-Tech Poker champion

I meant soak then hand wash basically. Have to rinse really well if you do get them clean. Have also used liquid Tide.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for cleaning pads, try dawn power dissolver. its best to clean the pads right after you use them of course so the product is still "wet" in the pad and not dried up.

as for removing product, i use mf towels (pakshak towels only) along with 50/50 ipa spray.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I know I should have cleaned the pads right after using them, but I got lazy that day and let them sit too long. I should just buy new ones probably but I'm a cheap@$$ lol
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so there is this tool that looks like spurs on cowboy boots (sounds weird i know) but u put the pad on the buffer turn it upside down then put the spur tool on it and it takes about 1/8 of a inch of the foam away and its like a new pad. i will try to look up the official name of this tool.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a link
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sgt87975.html

it is called a buffing spur (go figure) and its about 5 bucks
Old 03-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ohh yeah I forgot about those. I've actually seen a local guy who does details like Presidential use one of those.

www.wordofmouthdetailing.com
Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

be careful using those on the softer foam pads though
Old 03-31-2010, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redboost10
for cleaning pads, try dawn power dissolver. its best to clean the pads right after you use them of course so the product is still "wet" in the pad and not dried up.

as for removing product, i use mf towels (pakshak towels only) along with 50/50 ipa spray.
The IPA will remove waxes and oils from the surface. so just wipe down with microfiber after it has hazed or cured properly.

Which LC pads do you have (what color)?
certain pads are for cutting, and others for polish and then some for final sealants and waxes.

You can apply sealants and waxes with LC blue,red,black pads. none of those have and abrasiveness to them.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:53 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have yet to use anything except my hand and a little yellow circle foam applicator to apply wax...or sealant.

i always use MF to remove product. after i remove the final polish stage with an MF, i go over it with a MF and an IPA mixture spray as well - 50% distilled water, 50% high percentage isopropyl alcohol.

i've yet to have a pad not respond to soaking in a rich mixture of dawn, even older pads...and then kneading with very warm water and more dawn, rinsing and kneading, rinsing and kneading until clean. it surely might have to do with the product you used. optimum products generally are so easy to work with no matter what.

i am not sure what else can be used reliably - the spur...i'd be careful with that.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PandaMan
The IPA will remove waxes and oils from the surface. so just wipe down with microfiber after it has hazed or cured properly.

yeah exactly why i said this. i always use ipa to remove polishes/buffing compounds....your dumb not to.

i dont use it to remove waxes.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:08 PM
MiG-21 superfan

yeah exactly why i said this. i always use ipa to remove polishes/buffing compounds....your dumb not to.

i dont use it to remove waxes.
i think Pandaman was responding to that because the OP asked about applying wax, and then about removing "the product", so it might be confusing to the OP if he saw mention of IPA for removal.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
i think Pandaman was responding to that because the OP asked about applying wax, and then about removing "the product", so it might be confusing to the OP if he saw mention of IPA for removal.
yeah i just reread that. thanks builthatch
Old 03-31-2010, 09:44 PM
MiG-21 superfan

yeah i just reread that. thanks builthatch
its cool man. i thought the same thing when you said what you said, but didn't say anything because i knew what you meant. i forgot that it was more than you and me in this thread hahaha
Old 04-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm I have never used any kind of liquid to remove any product applied to the painted surface, only the MF towels. And some of those products like DACP can be pretty difficult to remove with just the towel. Does the IPA really help? Do you just mist it on the surface and then wipe, or mist it onto the towel?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:47 PM
MiG-21 superfan

hmm I have never used any kind of liquid to remove any product applied to the painted surface, only the MF towels. And some of those products like DACP can be pretty difficult to remove with just the towel. Does the IPA really help? Do you just mist it on the surface and then wipe, or mist it onto the towel?
i do the surface, usually. you get more coverage that way and it doesn't make the towel too damp IMO. it's cool if it gets on whatever because it evaporates pretty quickly. you don't have to use it to remove the actual product, but you can use it afterwards to remove any leftover oils, etc from the polish emulsion...stuff that can taint the final protection stage product.

i hate to sound like broken record, but i've tried the entire optimum line, specifically the correction products, and it all comes off like a dream. sorry, i had to say it again.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what you're referring to right? http://www.optimumcarcare.com/index.php?li=1
Old 04-02-2010, 07:30 AM
MiG-21 superfan

This is what you're referring to right? http://www.optimumcarcare.com/index.php?li=1
that's the company.

i'm sure some of the other popular companies offer similar products, but i use OPT almost exclusively for every stage and i have not ONE complaint.