Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Paint issues -- How to fix?

Old 04-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint issues -- How to fix?

Well, to make a long story short, my B5S4 has been parked in a carport since November. The carport is closed in on three sides, and i had the car backed in to where the front was facing out towards the open side. Since there was still a good ten feet between the front of the car and the end of the carport i didnt think much would get on it, but i was wrong. Ive gone out there once a month to crank it and let it run for a while and i noticed there was a good coat of dust and pollen on it, but i didnt think much of it. Finally had some free time yesterday so i pulled it out to wash it and immediately noticed the paint on the hood and the portion of the roof closest to the windshield was faded badly. I thought it was just dirty, but washing it did absolutely nothing.

My question is; What caused this and how do i fix it? Would a normal clay and wax fix the issue or will it need a pros touch? It was washed and waxed a few months before i parked it if that matters.

Heres the only decent pics i could get. The hood is a lot worse than the roof, but i couldnt get a good pic of it. In these pics you can see the faded paint on the right and the decent( but pollen covered lol) paint on the left.

Thanks in advance.

btw: Im prepping this car to sale it so id like to fix this as cheaply as possible. I know people in detailing forums usually recommend a few hundred dollars worth of stuff, but id like to do this with cheap products that i can find at Walmart if possible. Ive already got clay bars and detailing spray to clay it, and i have some Meguirs Gold Class wax as well. Im not looking for that perfect deep gloss, im just trying to get a gloss back. Unfortunately my rotary isnt working anymore for some reason so id have to do this all by hand
Old 04-14-2012, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Paint issues -- How to fix?

152 views in less than 4hrs and not a single response? Gotta love HT lol

Wheres builthatch when you need him?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's hard to say from those pics if it's the clear failing or simply oxidation, or a combo of both. it's probably just oxidized a bit considering what you've said re: how it was stored.

i honestly can't tell you what would work at walmart or other mass retailers to handle this, especially by hand. i'm sure meguiars has some sort of compound available in a bottle at these places that with the right foam handheld pad - like the yellow side of - you could probably make a difference on that but you'd definitely end up with some sore shoulders. after you get the majority of the haze removed, you could then go over it with a scratch-x type product or something on a lighter cut pad.

it might be worth trolling around on autogeek for one of the more well-known amateurs and see if someone is in your area and will take care of those trouble spots for about what you'd pay for supplies at walmart. just a suggestion.

good luck.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 AM

I knew youd come to the rescue lol

I got a better look at it yesterday in decent sunlight and i think youre right about the oxidation. When i was looking at it the other day after id washed it the car was in the shade so it was sort of hard to get a good look at it.

Ive heard that the clear on Audis is extremely hard so it might not be worth trying by hand. I have an old Bosch DA but i cant get it to work. It worked fine last year when i waxed it before parking it

Ill check out autogeek. Thanks for the suggestions
Old 06-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it clear coat failure or just oxidation ?? if it is clear coat failure i think the only solution is to paint it. but if its just oxidation try Megs 105 Rubbing compound with cutting pad and finish it up with polish and finally sealant