Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Paint Maintenance

Old 09-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Paint Maintenance

With my porter cable DA, I just leave it on speed 6 and do a 18x18" area each time going back and forth, then up and down overlapping 50% each pass, moving about 1" every second or so.

let the machine do the work. i draw a line on my backing plates just so i know that its spinning on the DA because you can put too much pressure on it that it will stop spinning.

another reason to gain experience with menzerna polishes is due to their diminishing abrasives. the best finishing polish i have used is menzerna nano. usually use meguiars 105 for starters.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TypeRfit
Most waxes/polishes will turn almost transparent when the compound agent in the wax has done its job and broke down.
This is probably the trickiest thing for me to nail down. I have a hard time figuring out when to exactly stop polishing. When using the product, do I just keep going over the same area until it looks like its almost dried up? Does it differ by hand? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:37 PM
RESIDENT

Originally Posted by redboost10
With my porter cable DA, I just leave it on speed 6 and do a 18x18" area each time going back and forth, then up and down overlapping 50% each pass, moving about 1" every second or so.

let the machine do the work. i draw a line on my backing plates just so i know that its spinning on the DA because you can put too much pressure on it that it will stop spinning.

another reason to gain experience with menzerna polishes is due to their diminishing abrasives. the best finishing polish i have used is menzerna nano. usually use meguiars 105 for starters.
That's really good advice.

Originally Posted by TheIVJac|{al
This is probably the trickiest thing for me to nail down. I have a hard time figuring out when to exactly stop polishing. When using the product, do I just keep going over the same area until it looks like its almost dried up? Does it differ by hand? Thanks.
A little hint I learned, before you start buffing anything, spray whatever FOAM pad you are about to use with a detail spray (2 mists is enough) This will add just enough moisture to the pad so it's not trying to take moisture out of the wax (pre wax cleaner, swirl remover, polish etc)

As RedBoost said, work in smaller sections 18x18 is a good size to work with. When you are buffing the product shouldn't ever really dry. It should almost seem greasy while you're working with it. When I say it will turn transparent, you should notice it turn from a slight white hint of color to just a film on the paint. That's when you know the abrasiveness in the wax is gone.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheIVJac|{al
which polish/compound are you using?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:14 PM
RESIDENT

What pads you using on your PC Redboost?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ccs pads. I always try the new/improved pads that come out and always go back to the ccs pads
Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 PM
RESIDENT

Great choice, same ones I use on my rotary. Lake country makes a good product
Old 10-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick question guys I'm having a hard time figuring out what pads to use to polish and wax I'm using a 7 inch harbor freight polisher. Biggest thing is when to use wool pads and when to use foam pads thanks in advance
Old 10-02-2013, 06:11 PM
RESIDENT

Originally Posted by DohcVtec_256
Quick question guys I'm having a hard time figuring out what pads to use to polish and wax I'm using a 7 inch harbor freight polisher. Biggest thing is when to use wool pads and when to use foam pads thanks in advance
What car are you using it on? What kind of paint damage is there? Can you post a few pictures of the car so we can help you with the proper pad choice. Wool pads are usually used for cutting (after wetsanding) or for heavily oxidized paint. If you know what you are doing a wool pad can save you a lot of time but can also bite you in the *** as it will create more heat and can burn through paint much faster then a foam pad.

Personally I use the Lake Country pads (hook & loop style) on a Harbor Freight rotary with Wolfgang waxes.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have never encountered a paint job I've had to use a wool pad. Megs 105 and an orange pad I feel can tackle A LOT of blemishes.

I like the lake country ccs pads as well.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm doing my em1 it's milano red I don't have any good pictures at the moment but paint is not that bad only have some swirl marks when in direct sunlight and I'm kind of obsessed with keeping my car clean lol
Old 10-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We all are. Haha
Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What pads from lake country do you guys use
Old 10-02-2013, 07:25 PM
RESIDENT

I'm doing my em1 it's milano red I don't have any good pictures at the moment but paint is not that bad only have some swirl marks when in direct sunlight and I'm kind of obsessed with keeping my car clean lol
If all you have are minor blemishes and swirls I would stay with foam pads. As Redboost stated you can tackle 95% of paint corrections with foam pads.

These are the pads Redboost and I use.

https://www.google.com/#q=lake+country+ccs+pads
Old 10-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll be doing a run down on pads, uses, etc, whenever I get some time.

I've used my wool pads 2-3 times since I bought them, foam pads and a good compoud/polish can handle quite a bit.
Originally Posted by redboost10
I have never encountered a paint job I've had to use a wool pad. Megs 105 and an orange pad I feel can tackle A LOT of blemishes.

I like the lake country ccs pads as well.
This. If you look at the F150 (I think), I did that with orange foam pads and m105/205.
Also I just remembered my civic was done with M105/205 on orange pads. Both with a DA.

to be honest the only time I even look at my wool pads is when I'm working with sanding marks, oxidation or severe defects.

With that said the meguiars MF pads and M105 can do some ****!

How bad are the swirl marks? If just minor swirls/scratches a polish (such as M205) and a orange pad should be able to handle that.

It's always best to start out with the least aggressive product first. Do a test spot and see if the results are what you're after.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98civdx
I'll be doing a run down on pads, uses, etc, whenever I get some time.
This will be VERY helpful. This is the part that confuses me the most when it comes to detailing. The pads come in different colors and I'm never sure what to get. I really want to learn how to properly detail a car but don't really know where to start.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Color is a big thing. Color changes from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Do you have experience with a rotary?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Guys on here seem to go with Lake Country pads so I figure go with what's used and proven.

And none what's so ever. I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here is a chart for the lake country ccs pads.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for that. I see they have more than one pad for the same use. Is that based on how aggressive you want to be? And wouldn't I need to pair the right pad with the right product, in term of aggressiveness?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes and yes...it all depends on the job at hand. like mentioned, megs 105 (lots of cut) and an orange pad will tackle just about everything you will come across. its all experience and trial and error. i usually try it on a small area towards the bottom of the car, see how the chosen combo works then go from there.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I saved the pad pics you posted for future reference. When you say megs, is that meguires? Any recommendations on other products, for waxing and polishing and such?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to soak up as much info as possible
Old 10-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes sorry, meguiars. i like menzerna polishes and 105 for the big jobs. for waxing/polishing i like klass all in one polish, then a nice carnuba paste wax on top of everything. everyone will have their own favorites, but for carnuba paste wax i like the poor boys world nattys paste wax. the klass all in one polish lasts about 6 months so its nice to get a layer on before the top coat of wax
Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 AM
RESIDENT

Originally Posted by hungrygreen_gsr
I saved the pad pics you posted for future reference. When you say megs, is that meguires? Any recommendations on other products, for waxing and polishing and such?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to soak up as much info as possible
Yes Megs=Meguires. The colors of the Lake Country pads are different firmness of the foam. The harder the foam pad the more aggressive it is.

If you are a noob, do not start with a rotary, get yourself a DA (dual action) buffer, it is much more forgiving and friendly to beginners.

Waxes, polishes you are going to get different opinions/options from all of us as we prefer to use different products. I personally use Wolfgang products, have tried certain Pinnacle products (which worked well) but always go back to Wolfgang. I know 98civdx prefers Meguires products.

How much do you know so far? Properly washing, drying etc, and just wanting to get into good paint correction/protection?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:38 AM
RESIDENT

I've also heard good things about Zymol products, just haven't pulled the trigger to purchase yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint Maintenance