Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Need Professional Advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:52 AM
Foreign Symbols

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Professional Advise

Ok folks, I'm not sure how busy this place is, but going to give it a shot. Here is the deal.

I've been in the auto repair business for about 20 years, but with limited detail experience. I have above average management skills, and this is why I was hired for my current position...

I work at a HIGH volume automated car wash (about 200 cars per day average) and was hired to get their detail department up and running.

They have a strong customer base, but very weak on marketing, and I'm hired to help out with that as well, for the whole car wash.

While I build a marketing plan, I need to get trained, and train at least one other employee to properly perform details.

We live in NE Ohio.

I have a local product provider that offers PDP products, most seem pretty good actually, and they are very respected, however, I'm open to other products as well.

At first, we need to be trained on proper detailing, techniques and products/tools. We are willing to travel a bit for a good class, Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and maybe further if needed. They company is willing to spend some money on this, but we still have to be reasonable.

That's really my first question, where is a legit place we can get proper training.

Or main clientele to begin with is the average middle class to middle upper client. No exotics at this point, just your average Grand Marquis to Lexus, Benz, Mustang, Chevy etc. I wide base, average clean up and detail, inside and out. Basic buffing, polishing, waxing etc.

At this point, we are focusing on volume, not show room detail, but we are VERY conscious of performing a quality job. We have a lot of volume in customers, and the detail dept. does already exist, but it's beyond poor and has never been marketed properly, and frankly doesn't have the staff to perform a good job at the moment.

I'm open to any and all other advise as well. Resources that I can navigate in a reasonable manner for what the pulse of the industry, charges, trends, etc etc.

Cliffs:

Hired to manage detail dept of high volume well established car wash.

Need proper detailing training for myself and one other employee to start.

Open to resources and idea's to get this thing pumping.

Oh ya, need advise on properly lighting and renovating our small two bay shop.

We are focusing on quality volume at this point, not exotics or show room cleanings.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Professional Advise

www.autogeek.net is the place to hang out at and learn, read, research, buy products, etc. sometimes they do offer classes. autogeek also has a forum so join that and start having fun.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Trial User

+1 on autogeek.net, also autopiaforums.com

Just read read read and watch DIY's. I'm sure you will be buying detailing supplies in large bulk so cost per oz will be important when considering which products to use.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do quite a bit of detailing on the side...
I learned from reading a lot on AutoGeek, DetailImage, Autopia...watching YouTube videos. There is a lot of technique. First off, proper inspection (have an inspection sheet of all known paint defects and have the owner sign off to it. Show them the location and the damage before you do anything. Secondly, proper cleaning, I do a three bucket method with grit guards. Clay bar the whole car ( wheels, windows - included) and rinse again. I usually do wheels/tires on up. Next, depending on what kind of car you are working on and what kind detail the person wants..I would choose either a polishing compound of cutting compound. Then choose the appropriate pad. You will get the best results with a foam pad. I like Lake Country pads and many people will agree with me. They have a large range of pads...and variations..I enjoy the 5" x .75 Flat pads & Hydrotech . Small portions of the car at time to get the job done well. Next is figuring out what polishing brand you will be using.....there are a lot.... you'll have to venture and read to see what you think will suit your needs. Just saying, a little bit of polish goes a long way.... There is a lot to say, if you have questions. Shoot me an Inbox!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by david1787
I do quite a bit of detailing on the side...
I learned from reading a lot on AutoGeek, DetailImage, Autopia...watching YouTube videos. There is a lot of technique. First off, proper inspection (have an inspection sheet of all known paint defects and have the owner sign off to it. Show them the location and the damage before you do anything. Secondly, proper cleaning, I do a three bucket method with grit guards. Clay bar the whole car ( wheels, windows - included) and rinse again. I usually do wheels/tires on up. Next, depending on what kind of car you are working on and what kind detail the person wants..I would choose either a polishing compound of cutting compound. Then choose the appropriate pad. You will get the best results with a foam pad. I like Lake Country pads and many people will agree with me. They have a large range of pads...and variations..I enjoy the 5" x .75 Flat pads & Hydrotech . Small portions of the car at time to get the job done well. Next is figuring out what polishing brand you will be using.....there are a lot.... you'll have to venture and read to see what you think will suit your needs. Just saying, a little bit of polish goes a long way.... There is a lot to say, if you have questions. Shoot me an Inbox!
Dave, do you use two grit guards per bucket? I've read some people do & was wondering if you found it worth the money. Thanx!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Juevi, This professional detailer is located in Columbus

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...and-dry-a-car/