Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help

I'm looking forward to detail my black integra but I'm not really sure what are the steps to follow. The paint has pretty bad swirl marks and scratches here and there. I'm trying to restore an 18 year old paint job. Tell me what you think of my steps

1. wash car
2. clay bar
3. optimum compound
4. optimum polyseal
5. optiseal
6. wax on top

I'm going to apply all the stuff with my friends buffer. I'm not sure what kind though. How much does compound cut into the clearcoat?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:37 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkr4zyboi
I'm looking forward to detail my black integra but I'm not really sure what are the steps to follow. The paint has pretty bad swirl marks and scratches here and there. I'm trying to restore an 18 year old paint job. Tell me what you think of my steps

1. wash car
2. clay bar
3. optimum compound
4. optimum polyseal
5. optiseal
6. wax on top

I'm going to apply all the stuff with my friends buffer. I'm not sure what kind though. How much does compound cut into the clearcoat?
see, i like the optimum idea you have because it's simple. they really make the selection process simple. as you get more experience with their stuff, you can play around and possibly fine tune things using other people's recommendations, but that is a good list you have there, for sure.

honestly, i don't even think you need the wax, but it's a personal preference.

just curious, what type of machine will you be using: rotary or random orbital "porter cable" type?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a porter 7424. I need to buy some pads for it also, what do you guys suggest?
Old 12-12-2008, 02:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the Lake Country pads a great deal, they work really well. I have also had good experience with the Meguiars pads, the burgandy (deep cut) and the yellow (lite cut) which tend to be more readily available. G'Luck!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:04 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkr4zyboi
Its a porter 7424. I need to buy some pads for it also, what do you guys suggest?
i personally only have experience with lake country pads.

to cover all of your needs for most details, i'd suggest a 5" backing plate, 2 lake country yellow pads, 2 orange pads, 2 white pads and 1 green pad

i've found that the yellow pad gives you a mechanical edge and helps make things easier and less time consuming when doing some real correcting with the PC and compound. of course you will have to refine it with the right pad and chemical afterwards, but for areas or panel with alot of damage, it kills it!

orange pads are nice to refine after the compound

white can refine further on dark cars

green is a nice final pad IMO for poli-seal

i also suggest for taking care of very tough spots, getting a 3.5" backing plate and getting a 4" yellow pad. unfortunately, they only make them in high profile, but regardless, if used properly, it should be more than adequate to remove major scratches with the PC and the compound. the little pad generates a decent amount of heat and can really correct well.