Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Paint help needed

Old 12-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint help needed

Posted this in Paint & Body but getting no love there, so I'll try here.

My Integra is starting to look pretty beat, mainly because of some recent events. I need help on 3 things:

1. I had it transported via open trailer from Washington State to Michigan a few months ago, and while on the truck something spewed some oily/grimy substance on the passenger side of my car (which is white). It's sort of embedded in the paint so that washing it doesn't remove it at all. If I scratch it with my fingernail, it comes off, but that's it. What should I use to get this stuff off? Polish? Rubbing compound? I had just freshly waxed it with Zaino so I'm pretty pissed that it got messed up so badly.

2. My car was broken into, with the rear window broken. The glass shop didn't do a good job on the weatherstripping between the rearmost edge of the window and the hatch itself, so I got it back together with Gorilla Glue. Problem is, a couple specks of Gorilla Glue found its way onto the paint, and it's really on there. What's the best way to get this off?

3. My c/f hood is 8-9yrs old now and looking very oxidized. I can bring it back to nearly new with 3M Marine Polish, but after a few weeks it goes back to looking white and hazy. I tried to throw some clearcoat on it this summer, but that didn't work. If I just get a paint shop to do a cheap sand + clearcoat spray, would that protect it enough so that it won't haze up again? Otherwise, it looks so bad I may just have it painted white to match the body.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Paint help needed

1. useing a clay bar it is your safest bet to get that oil off. use a small bucket of windsheild wiper fluid. now your gonna think im crazy but the windsheild wiper fluid is paint safe (90% water anyway) and it will cut thru the oil and grime. put the clay bar in the bucket with the fluid and rub in circular motions on the car and keep diping the clay bar in the flulid. the wetter the car the beter. then wipe off and see what happens
2. a pastic razor used to get off pinstripe on cars. or use a flat peice of plastic that is thin. heat up the glue as hot as possibe with a hair dryer and try to scrape off. dont use laquer thiner or solvents as this could hurt your paint!
3. This depends on how much you wanna spend. But yes take it to a paint shop a tell them you wanna clear coat on the hood and it will last as long as a new paint job. 3-5 years. just a sugestion, you may want someone you trust prep the hood first before you get it panted.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtec_Nfectd_db8
1. useing a clay bar it is your safest bet to get that oil off. use a small bucket of windsheild wiper fluid. now your gonna think im crazy but the windsheild wiper fluid is paint safe (90% water anyway) and it will cut thru the oil and grime. put the clay bar in the bucket with the fluid and rub in circular motions on the car and keep diping the clay bar in the flulid. the wetter the car the beter. then wipe off and see what happens
2. a pastic razor used to get off pinstripe on cars. or use a flat peice of plastic that is thin. heat up the glue as hot as possibe with a hair dryer and try to scrape off. dont use laquer thiner or solvents as this could hurt your paint!
3. This depends on how much you wanna spend. But yes take it to a paint shop a tell them you wanna clear coat on the hood and it will last as long as a new paint job. 3-5 years. just a sugestion, you may want someone you trust prep the hood first before you get it panted.
You rock, man. I will try these out as soon as I can!! Thanks a lot!
Old 12-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

welcome! hope it all works out