Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Help cleaning engine compartment - 2003 Honda Civic LX

Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help cleaning engine compartment - 2003 Honda Civic LX

Help cleaning engine compartment - 2003 Honda Civic LX

Hi everyone,

New member, full disclosure, I work for Autogeek and before that Meguiar's. I"m not here to promote any products but ask some questions that hopefully the in-house experts can help with. I've been posting to Usenet since 1993 and forums since vBulletin was introduced, so I'm way to savvy to start spamming any forum at this point in my life.

Question
I'm cleaning the engine compartment on a 2003 Honda Civic LX and would like to know what components in the engine compartment I should be careful around and/or cover up or avoid 100% from getting any cleaners, degreasers or water around.

I have an article on detailing engine compartments and what the article recommends is to join a reputable discussion forum before cleaning the engine and engine compartment and ask the experts what to look out for as it's highly likely they'll have solid information.

So as a manner practicing what I preach, I've joined this forum because of it's good reputation and am hoping to get a lending cyber-hand from the regulars that have first-hand experience detailing Honda engine compartments from the 2003 model year.

I would have posted this in the detailing forum group but I actually read the welcoming PM which stated I'm restricted to the Tech forums.

I'll get some pictures of the engine compartment and post them as soon as I can.

Thank you ahead of time...

Mike Phillips
Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Help cleaning engine compartment - 2003 Honda Civic LX

i bless this post from Mike and ask anyone who has any info to contribute regarding what's sensitive around the d17 engine bay, feel free to help as needed. i will copy this into the detailing sub-forum but since there is a technical nature to the potentially sensitive components in the engine bay, i'm keeping it here too.

thanks

Mike, if it were me, i'd prefer the engine to be warm (not hot) and i'd likely use Optimum Power Clean at full strength, 1:1, 3:1 and 10:1 (depending on what areas and levels of grime), assorted brushes (i prefer http://www.autogeek.net/lug-nut-brush.html) and a spray bottle of plain water on mist and/or stream to prevent the Power Clean from drying and also to get rid of the cleaner and grime after agitating/wiping everything. then, i'd start the engine to evaporate it all. Power Clean and the spray bottle of water ensure nothing will be flooded with moisture. i can't think of anything in particular on that engine or in that bay that needs to be completely avoided using the manner which i've suggested, but if anyone has anything to add, please do.

Last edited by builthatch; 01-18-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't worry Mike, I am sure most of us that hang out in the detailing section know who you are.

I don't have a civic, but in my 91 integra as long as you use the same care that I have seen you use in every other vehicle, then things should be fine, especially with a model 12years newer.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Carpe diem!

OMG I LOVE YOU MIKE!!!*throws panties*
Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch

Mike, if it were me, i'd prefer the engine to be warm (not hot) and i'd likely use Optimum Power Clean at full strength, 1:1, 3:1 and 10:1 (depending on what areas and levels of grime), assorted brushes (i prefer http://www.autogeek.net/lug-nut-brush.html) and a spray bottle of plain water on mist and/or stream to prevent the Power Clean from drying and also to get rid of the cleaner and grime after agitating/wiping everything.
I'm doing something similar to what you describe on a Corvette engine for this upcoming class but for this Honda I'm going to show how to use a pressure washer as it's pretty grimy.

then, i'd start the engine to evaporate it all. Power Clean and the spray bottle of water ensure nothing will be flooded with moisture.
That's the plan except for using the pressure washer. I'm showing two approaches to cleaning an engine bay. One is low pressure, low water the other is with a pressure washer but used carefully.

i can't think of anything in particular on that engine or in that bay that needs to be completely avoided using the manner which i've suggested, but
Thanks!

Just trying to practice what I preach and that's to check with the experts for specific makes and models of cars. I'm a Big Block Chevy guy and cleaning classic cars and trucks with small blocks or big blocks is pretty simple, just cover,
  • Distributor
  • Carburetor/Air Cleaner
  • Alternator
  • Cap on power steering pump is a good idea as it has a breather hole

I'm running MSD ignition and I cover these components too...

Will share the before and after pictures...

Thanks everone...

Old 01-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mike is a extremely smart man when it comes to detailing.I followed you on Tv,and on Autogeeks site I need to go to one of your demos sometime.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's some before pictures...

Just to be extra cautious I'll first wrap any electrical plugs-ins with Saran Wrap and then wrap the Saran Wrap with Tin Foil because you can crunch it to form around components and it will hold it's shape. The plastic protects the wiring or components and the tinfoil helps to hold the plastic in place.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Something you could do after you are done with the major washing would be to spray electrical connectors with wd40 as if any water does manage to get in anywhere it will do its job and displace the water.

But seriously mike , we know you know how to do it, you are the detailing MAN!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmmm.... something seems fishy about this thread?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:47 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaMan
it's legit; it definitely is him if that is your concern.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's legit; it definitely is him if that is your concern.
Yes, that was my concern. It just seems like "The Mike Phillips" would know how to clean a honda civic engine bay, after all of his history cleaning high end, exotic and classic cars. but i guess since the pics were uploaded via autogeekonline then maybe it is legit.

Not trying to be a troll or anything, and there doesn't seem to be any spamming. it just seemed weird. lol.

lol..... not that I can talk about spamming or anything.... lmao
Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tru_Shine
I have an article called,

How to use a Discussion Forum to Detail an Engine

(If you copy and paste the above title into Google it will pull right up)

In this article here's what I wrote,

Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Yeah, the title sound a little strange because when you think about detailing an engine your mind first goes to the chemical side of the equation, that is degreasers or all purpose cleaners, after that maybe brushes and pressure washers, you're certainly not looking at your thinking about your computer monitor and keyboard.

Discussion forums are powerful tools and there’s pretty much a specific discussion forum for just about every make, model and year or series of cars ever made.

On these forums you’ll find the resident experts, or Gurus if you will, that will either have the answer to your questions or will know where to find it on their forum.

The reason you want to do this when you’re detailing engines is because engines and their related components change often and what was the norm for previous models might not be the same for new models. And as the old saying goes, better safe than sorry as some components if broken from a strong blast of water or harmed from a cleaning chemical can be very expensive to repair or replace. It doesn't take too many things to go wrong before you end up paying more to have something fixed or replaced and you lose any profit from the job.

The point being is I can't be an expert on every year, make and model of car ever built when it comes to SAFELY detailing an engine compartment yet I get asked questions like, "what to look out for" when detailing fill-in-the-blank

So I wrote the article to help others help themselves by seeking out a forum for their car and then joining it and hope the members were nice and when you ask a question like I've asked here you get courteous replies.

Since I'm not an expert on the engines and engine compartments for 2003 Honda Civics I came to your forum to follow my own advice and ask for help from the in-house Gurus for this car.

That's all there was to it... I've been doing the forum to thing too long to be a trouble-maker...

Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to bring this thread to some type of closure...

At my last detailing class instead of using the Honda we used a friends Corvette for the engine and engine compartment detailing portion of the class and everything came out looking brand new. I do plan on using the Honda in the future however as it will make a very dramatic before and after article.

Here's a few pics of the class during the engine detailing session...

Old 02-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
Just to bring this thread to some type of closure...
Mike,

I meant no disrespect with my above statements. I just didn't want some guy coming in impersonating you, and giving any false information down the road. Ive always had great respect for you, and I know you're are reliable source of information.

I was just looking out for my fellow honda-tech buddies. Glad your here. once again, my apologies.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tru_Shine
Mike,

I meant no disrespect with my above statements. I just didn't want some guy coming in impersonating you, and giving any false information down the road. Ive always had great respect for you, and I know you're are reliable source of information.

I was just looking out for my fellow honda-tech buddies. Glad your here. once again, my apologies.

And just to note I never took it the wrong way...

You brought up a very good point and for all the people that might read this thread into the future I just wanted to share why I was asking for help from this forum...

It's all good!

I have another Tech question that I'll be posting soon too having to do with a 2004 Honda Accord.

p.s.

There is one instance where a person joined a Vette forum using my name for nefarious reasons and I seem to have enough friends across a wide spectrum of forums that it was caught and taken care of very quickly. I appreciate all my forum friends...

Old 06-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aviod high pressure water ( you are not putting out a fire) , always use low stream water
avoild all electric connections, sensors and battery, it would be the best if you would cover them
cover the air filter if you do not have the stock air box
and aviod spraying water directly on the spark plugs, it will cause misfire if the water went into the spark plug holes lol
Old 07-09-2016, 09:10 PM

Hi so happy to have found this site, i too am cleaning my engine and was wondering if you could tell me what i need to cover and whats good to cover with...,Thank You