Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Detailing products FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (MTK Kommander)

i forgot to mention there is a somewhat new claybar system out there. not really a bar tho. it uses a yellow type of sponge that seems pretty abrasive for fresh paint (but its really not just follow the directions) and it comes with a speed clay.

diamondite makes it i believe
Old 03-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (Code Blue)

the benefits of working at a detail shop....i never have to buy anything
Old 03-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (B U N M A N G O)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B U N M A N G O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For lighter colors such as white, silver, and yellow, I've had pretty good results using a synthetic polymer (Zaino, Klasse SG, etc) Zaino works well but the long tedious process (even w/ ZFX) keeps many detailers away from it. You can get the same if not better results using other products in a shorter amount of time. Also, Zaino tends to give a "plastic" look to the paint.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What wax/polish do you recommed for white. You did a really good job on vtecvoodo's s2k. I find it hard to make my white car shine like that. You also mentioned that they're better products than meguiars 3 step, what would you recommend?
Old 03-13-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ

I know a lot of people have said nice job on this thread, but why not one more?
NICE JOB!
Old 03-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Future Texas Boy

I need wash/wax this week
Old 03-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtecvoodoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecvoodoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I need wash/wax this week </TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought the Spugen event is next week though?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dominican_Kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What wax/polish do you recommed for white. You did a really good job on vtecvoodo's s2k. I find it hard to make my white car shine like that. You also mentioned that they're better products than meguiars 3 step, what would you recommend?</TD></TR></TABLE>

On Ryan's car, I got rid of most of the swirls/blemishes using Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner Polish, followed up by some Meguiar's Swirl Remover 9.0. I then used Klasse All-In-One topped by Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (FlipboiGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FlipboiGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do i stop my car from getting dusty. After washing/drying/waxing my car, it gets dusty after a couple days. Is there any products i could use to stop the damn dust.
Thanks

Modified by FlipboiGSR at 8:57 PM 3/8/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

Certain waxes or sealants seem to attract more dust than others.

However, there are a couple of methods to remove dust. The first method is to use a quick detailer (QD) and a microfiber (MF) cloth. What I like to do is to first use a damp MF cloth and wipe down the car. Then I just go over the car with the QD. If you are layering sealant, make sure to use a QD that doesn’t contain carnuba, since this will affect the bonding. A good QD that I like to use is Meguiars Final Inspection.

The second and more controversial method is the use of a California Car Duster (CCD). It costs about $10 and can be bought at most auto stores. A lot of people cringe at the idea of wiping down a car with a dirty duster, fearing that it could lead to swirls and scratches. Also, the CCD sometimes leaves streaks of paraffin wax.

Overall, I prefer using a MF and QD to clean dust, but when I’m in a hurry I just use the CCD. I haven’t noticed a great increase in swirling by using the CCD and to get rid of the streaking, I just place the duster on top of newspaper overnight.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (H22PwrdHatch)

nice. thanks for the writeup.

i do the 3step Meguiar's and the only problem I have is locating a claybar without ordering online. I might try that stuff people are getting from the Harley shops next.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (dragnize)

Old 03-16-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (ekin)

to get rid of small surface deep scratches, just get some touch up paint. use a toothpick and dab it in the paint. apply the paint in the scratch and let it dry over night. DONT TOUCH IT! after it is completely dry, take some 1000 grit(wet) and soak it in water for atleast 30minutes, and then sand it down in one way going top to bottom or left to right. Dont use too much force or you will take off existing paint. after the 1000grit,transfer over to something 2000 grit(wet) or higher. i prefer 3000 grit. wipe off excess water and you should see a white haze. dont worry. Next get some rubbing compound and apply it to a 100% COTTON TOWEL (DONT EVEN USE SOMETHING THAT HAS EVEN 1% POLYESTER, FieldCrest Towels are the best) Rub the compound left to right OR up and down. dont go in swirls or circular motion. You should have removed at leat 98% of the scratches the sand paper made. Then get a GOOD polish and polish the area fixed. then add a good sealent to the area as well. after all is done, use a good wax and you done.

NOTE: Lighter colors are harder to match than darker colors. I got my black car to match perfectley and you cant even tell i touched it up. looks smooth and clean.
Good luck!
Old 03-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: (B U N M A N G O)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B U N M A N G O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought the Spugen event is next week though?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually I just realized IAS is in two weeks! I`ll have you work your magic the day before I roll-in.

Ryan
Old 03-17-2004, 12:38 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (dragnize)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dragnize &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice. thanks for the writeup.

i do the 3step Meguiar's and the only problem I have is locating a claybar without ordering online. I might try that stuff people are getting from the Harley shops next. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Pepboys should carry the Clay Magic bar + lube for $10.

If you guys are interested in good polishes i recomend.

1Z UP
1Z PP
Menzerna IP
Menzerna FP

These all work great.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the engine bay, i also recommend using a steam cleaner. I bought a mouse steamer a few years ago and only recently dug it out of storage to use.

I started with the engine and it cut through grease and grime build up that multiple applications of gunk didnt get out.

A brush attachment helped to remove the debris that was loosened once the steam went over an area. If you have a steamer, access to a car lift, try it out. You will be amazed with the results.

Just becareful around the wiring and electrical, as you would when washing the engine bay.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:10 AM

Default Re: (IntEGNYC)

As some one asked before any sugestions for white paint to get it to shine.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:42 AM

Default Re: (FredoTheChimp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FredoTheChimp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As some one asked before any sugestions for white paint to get it to shine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, Its pretty much the same procedure as any other color...
Starting from scratch, what you would do is go over the car with a claybar using quick detailer or final inspection as lubricant, then use a high speed buffer with 3m perfect-it compound and then go back with 3m perfect it high speed polish, then wash the car, then go and wax.... that should shine it right up. If you want extra bling, i'd go with a coat of Meguiars #7 after that. Good luck

Havent posted in a while....being a certified detailer, this is a great thread.

Modified by FaS4wS at 5:08 PM 3/19/2004
Old 03-19-2004, 12:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (FaS4wS)

Being an owner of a white car i have to say that clay barring, cleaning, sealing and waxing will eventually restore your white shine... to an extent.

If you have oxidation, it may be best to take a power buffer tothe finish to spare you the elbow grease. My car's finish lost its yellowish tint after having it professionally compounded and now it looks like a million bucks.

Judging by the finish, you'd never guess it was a 9 year old car.
Ahh the joys of detailing
Old 03-19-2004, 12:43 PM

Default Re: (IntEGNYC)

Umm...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FaS4wS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, Its pretty much the same procedure as any other color...
Starting from scratch, what you would do is go over the car with a claybar using quick detailer or final inspection as lubricant, then use a high speed buffer with 3m perfect-it compound and then go back with 3m perfect it high speed polish, then wash the car, then go and wax.... that should shine it right up. If you want extra bling, i'd go with a coat of Meguiars #7 after that. Good luck

Havent posted in a while....being a certified detailer, this is a great thread.

Modified by FaS4wS at 5:08 PM 3/19/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (chainsaw)

this needs to be post needs to be sticky if its not already....
Old 03-20-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (peagreenhatch)

How about this one...

Ever have a hard time cleaning the vents for your heat/ac? If you have compressed air youre in luck. Using the spray cleaner you would normally use for wiping your dash (armor all, quick detailer, even diluted simple green) give a small spray directly on the vents, and come back with blast from the air blow gun, and it cleans up like magic. This works on all hard to get to areas.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (FaS4wS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FaS4wS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How about this one...

Ever have a hard time cleaning the vents for your heat/ac? If you have compressed air youre in luck. Using the spray cleaner you would normally use for wiping your dash (armor all, quick detailer, even diluted simple green) give a small spray directly on the vents, and come back with blast from the air blow gun, and it cleans up like magic. This works on all hard to get to areas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nice..... I always used to go in them with Suave ear cleaners dipped in Armor All
Old 03-21-2004, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (pakman2002)

sticky!!
Old 03-28-2004, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (Audio28)

awesome now my **** can bling
Old 03-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (B U N M A N G O)

well i got my next saturday planned
Old 03-29-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (JMS JT)

Old 04-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detailing products FAQ (Siguy00)

I have what looks like small rust color marks on the surface of my paint. It comes off with hard scrubbing with wax so it's not permanent. What type of compund would work better? If I use the wax it will take me a couple of days and I'm sure there's something that will take it easier and give it a good shine also.

Quick Reply: Detailing products FAQ