Notices
Detailing Auto Detailing and Concours

Car cover useage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cover useage?

My 95 del Sol is now without a garage for the first time!

I have an Evolution 4 breathable car cover. What are the pros and cons of using it outdoors, in a climate with lots of rain?

The original paintwork is mint, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Cheers, Senior Sol
Old 06-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car cover useage?

I have always feared scratching my car due to being dirty so I only use after car has been cleaned and will be sitting up for a period more than a week otherwise I just wash and wax 1-2 week

I think a good coat of wax and regular washing is a better idea personally if this is a dd and your just being **** about the paint and always being in a garage. Your more likely to scratch and damage the paint if your rubbing something (car cover) across the paint twice a day.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
I have always feared scratching my car due to being dirty so I only use after car has been cleaned and will be sitting up for a period more than a week otherwise I just wash and wax 1-2 week

I think a good coat of wax and regular washing is a better idea personally if this is a dd and your just being **** about the paint and always being in a garage. Your more likely to scratch and damage the paint if your rubbing something (car cover) across the paint twice a day.
Thanks for the reply Speedjunkie,

The car is not a dd....often it sits in the driveway for up to a week. I basically drive it on sunny weekends.71,000km on an 18 year-old car, that says it all.

I am **** about the paint, and whining about not having a garage...guilty as charged.

Think I'll continue to both wash and wax it regularly, AND carefully use the (clean) car cover, when it's parked.

Two further questions......being lazy, I often use the local coin-operated brushless car wash...will using their "high-pressure" hose actually strip off the wax? Are their soaps too harsh, and also likely to damage the paint?

Thanks again.

Senior Sol
Old 06-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah in that case I would use the cover. I tend to use the brushless car washes myself especially when traveling with work and never had a problem so far. I am sure they all use different product so the chemicals will vary. I tend to use a wax as you dry product after running through the car wash or at home just to be on the safe side. I tend to be **** myself with my car
Old 06-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm SHOCKED!!

The car just spent a wet week under the car cover. When I removed it today, it was VERY filthy.

Don't know how the dirt got into, or under the cover, but the car was MUCH dirtier than if I had left it exposed to the elements.

That's it for me....no mas car cover.

Cheers, Senior Sol
Old 06-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm shocked to see my car not dirty after a good week of rain. Untouched from water stains. Its not the expensive type cover. It was made by Classic assessories "overdrive Polypro 3" from Amazon. 30 bucks.