Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

just started crx resto, new to this site

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just started crx resto, new to this site

Hello all:

I have restored several cars over the years, and I am starting a new project for my wife.. She had an '87 CRXsi when we got married, and we sold it when children came along.. Now I have purchased one to restore for her. I am hoping for information on parts, particularly interior at this time. Can someone help navigate me? Thanks, Mike.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just started crx resto, new to this site

Due to limited supply of these parts I think the best place to find parts is to google "honda red pepper racing" without the quotes. Lots of info and a fairly active classified area from members with that 1G CRX or 3G Civic.

ControlNode
------------
67 Lincoln Continental (7.6l)
86 Civic Si (B20Z)
99 Accord (F23A)
86 Civic Si (EW4)
Old 04-24-2009, 09:19 AM

Hmmm.. I haven't finalized the purchase yet.. When you speak of limited availability, am I risking not finding needed parts at all? That is, hypothetically speaking, if I need an ignition module, I may be forced into high-dollar used stuff? My desire is to make a nice daily driver for my wife - is this going to be a difficult task? I'm not against aftermarket parts. I went to the red pepper site and I have a period before I can post, so I'm back here to get clarification - I see that important things like windshield moldings are gone, as well as pressure plates, but this stuff is available through aftermarket, yes? Things like carpet, seat repair, etc is out there - just not OEM. Please reply, while I still have time to back out.. Mike

Last edited by troyport; 04-24-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

don't worry. with a little bit of work and dedication these cars can be restored and made into great daily drivers. yes, it is going to be more difficult than a newer honda but can still be done.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by E-AT_me
don't worry. with a little bit of work and dedication these cars can be restored and made into great daily drivers. yes, it is going to be more difficult than a newer honda but can still be done.
Right you can almost any part you need as OEM, aftermarket or used. Example: the plastic front body parts, not available OEM any more, but there are aftermarket.

Not sure what your interior work you are looking into, but if the seats are worn a good upholstery shop can recover your current seats close to OEM look.

I'd say that they are not that bad to get parts for being a 20+ year old car. Easier that my first car that was 26 years old when I bought it, now that car is 42 years old.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks guys for the clarification.. I'll be getting the car soon, my first Honda, I'm a GM guy, born and bred.. But my wife had this car when we first got married 20 years ago, and I have to admit that I just loved that little thing! Mike
Old 04-24-2009, 01:01 PM

Second gen seats look good in the first gens too.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would recommend finding a good condition 1st gen to start with

will save you lots of hassle in the long run, they are out there.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in a relatively small area and havent had that much trouble finding parts for my first gen, just have to do a tad more looking than parts for other vehicles.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by troyport
I'm a GM guy, born and bred..

not to start a war, but man, i'm sorry.. not a fan of GM.. Ford or import for me.. heck, i'm surprised my old truck made it home today.. hasn't left me stranded yet.. sometimes doesn't get going, but just never stranded.

btw, my wife was born/bred GM with her grandpa working for buick/caddy since the 40's..
Old 04-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Might want to Goggle "87 crx si" and the other years for that generation (84 - 87), then compare the shear number of results with the fourth generation CRX's = 88 - 91.

There are around 150 to 170 thousand returns for each year of the earlier models vs, 400 to 500 thousand returns for each year of the EF models... says much about how much interest and therefore how many parts will be available for the project.

I suggest considering restoring an EF CRX SI, it'll be much easier.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This might help: http://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/1...x-faq-s-29108/
Old 04-26-2009, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why? his wife didn't own a 2nd gen.. i don't think you understand the project my friend...
Old 04-26-2009, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by E-AT_me
why? his wife didn't own a 2nd gen.. i don't think you understand the project my friend...
Why?... For the info referenced - the guy is switching from GM cars to a Civic, just trying to ease the transition.

I had an 87 CRX si and absolutely loved it, great car. Now the garage holds a 91 si hatch with 50k / perfect stock and it's one of the finest cars ever built... and many more parts are available much cheaper.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave_Matthews
Why?... For the info referenced - the guy is switching from GM cars to a Civic, just trying to ease the transition.

I had an 87 CRX si and absolutely loved it, great car. Now the garage holds a 91 si hatch with 50k / perfect stock and it's one of the finest cars ever built... and many more parts are available much cheaper.
But this is about what the OP wants and his wife. You're still getting the point of his thread.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

his wife had a first gen.. that's like saying all vettes are the same... or all mustangs are the same..
Old 04-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let's go back and actually read the original poster's second comment - seems he is asking if we think it's wise to tackle such a rare car.

Hmmm.. I haven't finalized the purchase yet.. When you speak of limited availability, am I risking not finding needed parts at all?
answer: Yes, you are risking not finding needed parts at all.

That is, hypothetically speaking, if I need an ignition module, I may be forced into high-dollar used stuff? My desire is to make a nice daily driver for my wife - is this going to be a difficult task?
answer: Yes, this is going to be a difficult task, especially compared to working on the much more available second generation EF's.

I'm not against aftermarket parts. I went to the red pepper site and I have a period before I can post, so I'm back here to get clarification - I see that important things like windshield moldings are gone, as well as pressure plates, but this stuff is available through aftermarket, yes?
answer: No, some of this stuff is NOT available through after market.

Things like carpet, seat repair, etc is out there - just not OEM.
answer: Correct, carpet, seat repair, etc is out there - just not OEM and the same is true for the EF models.

Please reply, while I still have time to back out.. Mike
REPLY: While you "still have time to back out.. ", DON'T DO IT!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry Dave, but you only have 5 post, 4 in this thread and just joined. Perhaps you are not that experienced with the 1G CRX and not a good source of info. You info as best I can tell is based on google results, hardly the first hand kind of experience that should be considered here.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make it six posts now...

FYI: this showed up this morning, Syracuse is in Indiana:

http://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/1142534136.html
Old 04-28-2009, 04:47 AM

Thanks guys for all replies, and I didn't mean to start an argument, if you can even call it an argument. I'll address some of the points brought up here: The first gen CRX is the only choice here, because that is the one my wife wants. And we've been together 20 years and we have two great daughters and I love her.. so.. you get the point! I have owned nothing but GMs as my daily drivers, I absolutely love the 92 - 99 "H" platform, which would be the Bonnevilles, eighty-eights, lesabres.. I am almost finished with the resto of my black '93 bonny, even though this is a honda site when I am finished I will post a picture here. Call me crazy.
Yesterday I purchased the '87 crx si, I will pick it up in a few days. It has 186,000 on it and very solid - southern car - only a little rust around the wheelwells, but from what I could see of the underbelly it was still clean. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it up to really scrutinize underneath, so I am taking a bit of a gamble - but I only have a few hundred bucks into it, I'm quite sure I could part it and break even if it is bad. No hurry on the timeframe, in fact, it will be tucked into the back of the garage until Bonny is finished. Last night, my wife helped me hang the bonny doors in the shop, getting ready to paint them this weekend, she has little interest in that car, but she can't stop talking about the Honda, she's looking forward to helping me with the Honda, since the girls will be off to college while I'm in the thick of it.. Mike
Old 04-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

GM has done a few good things, one of which is the 3800 engine, damn near bullet proof
Old 04-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nothing wrong with a first gen CRX!! Easy to work on, parts ARE available!!! Biggest issue is the same things you'll find with any older car. How well did the previous owners care for it, and RUST!!! Floorpans, Panhard rod mount, and my favorite- Fuel lines!!! As long as the car has little to no rust, anything else is fixable!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey troyport I can relate to to the 92-99 olds. I have a 93 Olds eighty-eight royale with the auto climate, auto dimming rear view mirror, EQ and digital dash. Has other options but I can't remember them all, only one I want that is missing is the CD player.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My suggestion is just to buy a super clean one so you don't have to go out of your way to buy/fix a lot of things. I know they're out there.

Of course this is the fantastic thing about living in California...they ARE out there. I was driving around my friend's 86 Si for a while...ridiculously slow and lousy handling, but damn it's still a fun car.