Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Wiring an Immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring an Immobilizer

I am wiring up an immobilizer for my car right now that will keep the car dead as a doornail when I turn the immobilizer on. Even if someone were to steal my keys, they would not be able to start it unless they knew how the immobilizer worked.

The diagram says its best not to wire it to the ignition switch because the car can still be jumped. Instead, it calls for wiring it up to the low tension ignition coil power feed. I am not sure which wire this would be coming off the ignition coil.

Does anyone know?

It also, as another option, recommends pulling high fusible links until the car is as dead as a doornail and wiring the immobilizer up to this link, which again I am unsure of how to find.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:41 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Wiring an Immobilizer (jefe)

How about the MM&Y of car? 94
Old 05-31-2006, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring an Immobilizer (fcm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> How about the MM&Y of car? 94</TD></TR></TABLE>

93 Civic hatch...sorry....
Old 05-31-2006, 05:14 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Sorry I don't have a wiring diagram for a 93, but on a 96-98, the ign. 12V+ input is black/yellow, fused at the inside fuse box, on a 94-98 teg its also black/yellow, and a 90-93 teg it's black/yellow, it shows no fuse on the tegs, so if you have a black/yellow on your dist. assembly, check and see if you have 12V+ on it when the ign. switch is in run and start. 94
Old 05-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Sorry I don't have a wiring diagram for a 93, but on a 96-98, the ign. 12V+ input is black/yellow, fused at the inside fuse box, on a 94-98 teg its also black/yellow, and a 90-93 teg it's black/yellow, it shows no fuse on the tegs, so if you have a black/yellow on your dist. assembly, check and see if you have 12V+ on it when the ign. switch is in run and start. 94</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right on...I took apart the distributor tonight and found that it is also a black/yellow wire for the 93 civic.

There is a black/yellow wire that feeds through a pin connector on the outside of the distributor inside to connect to the ignition coil. There is also a really short black/yellow wire connected to the same point on the ignition coil that connects to the igniter unit.

Should I insert the relay for the immobilizer to break the connection from the inside of the distributor or from the pin outside the distributor?

I am guessing this is how the relay would work. To cut the black/yellow wire, feeding it into the relay, and then from the relay back out, right? So when the relay is activated, it is cutting the circuit until the relay is restored, right?

Also, I noticed that when I disconnected the black/yellow wire from the ignition coil, that the car at that point just cranks and cranks never catching and starting up obviously. Would you happen to know if the car can still be push started at this point if its a manual?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car can't run w/out ignition so, no.

There are four pins on a SPST auto relay. Your black/yellow wire is cut with one side connected to 87 and the other to 30. Depending on how you control your relay, power has to flow across 86 to 85 in order for it to connect 87 to 30. So you could for example, loop 86 to 30 which would then have to be connected to the key side of your black/yellow wire. Then run 85 to your low current switch, the other side of the switch to ground.

All Honda's from at least the mid eighties to the late nineties share the same wire colors on the ignition harness. I'm a little surprised you're not familiar with them and I'm baffled as to why you don't have a wire diagram for a 92-95 Civic. Unless you're not actively working and you don't have access to your preferred database.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring an Immobilizer (suspendedHatch)

Thanks for the info. I have a wiring diagram to hook up this immobilizer and I am actually using a DPDT relay. I know the setup works because I have bench tested it, but I have yet to hook it up to any significant part of the car's wiring yet, so I am just being cautious is all.

You shouldn't be baffled. I'm a learn as i go DIY kinda guy and I have never had to mess with wiring much on my car, besides wiring in a cd player or something. I'm just taking the steps to be cautious since it is my first time doing this extensive of wiring and set up of relays and switches, etc.

And I do have manuals with the cars wiring. But like I said, I haven't dealt with wiring much and am just trying to make sure I understand everything here before I start cutting wires.

Do you happen to know what gauge wire those ignition coil wires are?

Also, back to my other question, should I be inserting the relay to break the connection from the pin to the ignition coil or the shorter black/yellow wire from the ignition coil to the ignitor unit?

It's all about learning, right? Thanks.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:19 AM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jefe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the info. I have a wiring diagram to hook up this immobilizer and I am actually using a DPDT relay. I know the setup works because I have bench tested it, but I have yet to hook it up to any significant part of the car's wiring yet, so I am just being cautious is all.

You shouldn't be baffled. I'm a learn as i go DIY kinda guy and I have never had to mess with wiring much on my car, besides wiring in a cd player or something. I'm just taking the steps to be cautious since it is my first time doing this extensive of wiring and set up of relays and switches, etc.

And I do have manuals with the cars wiring. But like I said, I haven't dealt with wiring much and am just trying to make sure I understand everything here before I start cutting wires.

Do you happen to know what gauge wire those ignition coil wires are?

Also, back to my other question, should I be inserting the relay to break the connection from the pin to the ignition coil or the shorter black/yellow wire from the ignition coil to the ignitor unit?

It's all about learning, right? Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE> Install the relay on the black/yellow wire going to the dist. assembly, that will cut power to it. Find where the wire is inside the car and install the relay there, on the 96-98 the wiring diagram indicates it goes through the under dash fuse box, at some point inside the car the ign. output from the ign. switch is split up to the diff. systems that need a true ign., [hot in run and start].
Wire gauge is probably 20ga-18ga, try and avoid running long extension leads. 94
Old 06-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Install the relay on the black/yellow wire going to the dist. assembly, that will cut power to it. Find where the wire is inside the car and install the relay there, on the 96-98 the wiring diagram indicates it goes through the under dash fuse box, at some point inside the car the ign. output from the ign. switch is split up to the diff. systems that need a true ign., [hot in run and start].
Wire gauge is probably 20ga-18ga, try and avoid running long extension leads. 94 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok. Thanks.

So essentially, I could just cut the wire from inside the car, and wire the 2 ends to the relay right? Eliminating the need to buy new wire and match the gauge size and all that, right?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:38 PM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jefe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok. Thanks.

So essentially, I could just cut the wire from inside the car, and wire the 2 ends to the relay right? Eliminating the need to buy new wire and match the gauge size and all that, right?</TD></TR></TABLE> yes if you can find a spot where the wire is loose enough to do so, or just extend one end, I prefer to find a plug that has the wire in it, depin the wire, "open" the pin up remove the oem wire and pull it back to a place where can install the relay reterminate the pin to a new wire long enough to reach the relay and make the connections that way, and in this case, [!@V+ power wire, you can use a jumper from the relay terminal that the "hot" end of wire is on to 85 or 86 on the relay, [relay coil terminals] saving the need to run another power wire for relay and connect the armed ground output from the alarm to the other coil terminal. 94
Old 06-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Right on. I gotcha. I have power running to the 12volt relay from a DPDT relay which is powered by a 12 volt fused source, so Im good there. I only then have to ground the 12 volt relay which is no biggie.

Thanks for the help.