Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Where should i mount tweeters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where should i mount tweeters?

I just replaced my rear blown speakers with some cheap kenwoods. Now i want to replace the fronts with component speakers but I'm not sure where to put the tweeters. Where did you guys mount them or any suggestions?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Where should i mount tweeters?

Its popular to mount them high on the door, some cars had them from the factory like that. Ideally, they should be as close to your mid speaker as is practical and both speakers should be facing the passengers. Tweeters closer to you than the mids will cause a that annoying high pitch scratching sound
Old 01-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car is a 92 integra so no factory tweeters. how about on the dash where the end meets the pillars?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wherever they sound best

apillar is pretty popular
Old 01-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that will work, either close or far away.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i personally like them on the a pillar near the dash. (ie. about where the mirror is) it is just far enough away in my oppinion to give good sound but not be too overpowering. but it comes to personal preference. i would stick them there with double back tape to test it and see whether you want them to be louder or quieter. if louder move them closer, if quieter move them farther away. leave enough speaker wire that you can move them around (you can always shorten the cable but its hard to lengthen it) once you get them in a good spot for you then mount them permanently.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a Da integra to and this is how i mounted mine. Pics kinda suck but you should get the idea

Old 01-17-2010, 08:48 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Tweeters should be mounted as close to mid as possible, it should be on the same plane as the mid, [facing same direction].
The tweeter should be a little farther away from your ears then the mid for proper time alignment.

Mounting tweeters far from the mid, closer to your ears then the mid, off axes with the mid will all effect time alighnment and phasing, which in turn will effect staging an imaging.

With that said, I agree with cstone on using double sided tape and moving the tweeters around to the possible locations and mounting them where they sound the best to you, your the one that has to listen to them.
This can be time consuming as you will need to reinstall the door panels, [cars interior] and mount tweeters in a number of locations then listening to a few tunes with them in the different locations, better that then installing them someplace only to find SQ sucks.

Hint... make tweeter lead long enough to reach any possible mounting location, make tweeter lead connections non polarized, [plug in either way] so that at each potential mounting location you try you are able to switch the polarity of the tweeters 180 degrees just by switching the wiring, if you have access to the x-over the polarity switching can be done at the x-over box connection.

Switching polarity can correct a phasing issue when a tweeter is mounted off axes with the mid.

Another option is to buy a component set with the tweeter "point source" mounted, a very good example of this is the Eclipse SP6510...
http://www.eclipse-web.com/us/point/sp6910_6510.html

There are others, but The Eclipse is IMO the best bang for the $, it is a very good sounding speaker with good clean highs, [silk dome tweeter] and very good bass extension for a 6.5" speaker, it is also a standard 6.5" speaker so it will fit the stock speaker mounting diameter hole, although a hole for magnet needs to be cut in back of stock speaker housing as it is 1/4" deeper then stock.

As with any make/model of speaker, mounting them to a custom MDF housing instead of the stock plastic speaker housing will improve SQ, including bass response and SPL by a noticeable amount. 94
Old 01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the inputs. I'm looking into coaxial speakers now as fcm said, tweeters are already mounted. I'm not trying to cut any holes or make any custom mounts though. Any notable 6.5" speakers with less than 2" mounting depth?
Old 01-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.woofersetc.com/p1173/CXS6...ent-System.htm

edit..nvm..just noticed the mounting depth